SW-FOG "Home Safe" Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had a great time and wish to thank Scott and Shaun for their organizing skills and Beamerdon for arranging the train trip up Pikes Peak.

I left Saturday morning, that being a week since I left my home in Salem, OR, and spent the first night in Ogdon, Utah. The next morning I rode to Boise and spent the night with my friend Brent. Rode home Monday morning arriving here at three in the afternoon. 1343 miles from Salida to Salem. My total mileage for this trip was 3,824 miles and I now have 9464 miles on my PR3's. I just added that to see what kind of response it will bring.

I am a little tired, but after a day of rest wil play a round of golf tomorrow.

I had another great time at this years SWFOG. Thanks to Scott and Shaun for organizing this and all others for just good company. I made my way home by going north through Wy and west through Montana, Idaho, and Washington/Oregon. I did a total of approximately 3,600 miles with the last day being the shortest at 450 or so, and I played nine holes of golf this afternoon and shot a 38. The ride home was exciting:

On my way back I madecontact with a deer. It happened inLolo, MT. on US 12 about one mile from US 93. It was around 4pm MT, Monday, when the deer came out of a clump of treeson my left. The deer was running diagonallyacross the road, in the directions I was going, when I saw it out of myperipheral vision. At the time, I wasaccelerating and maybe going 60 mph as I had the 70 mph sign in my vision. I didn’t back off on the throttle when I sawwe were going to make contact and maybe that helped me as the deer basicallypushed me off the pavement onto the 3' gravel apron. I was able to keep the bike on the gravel apron and not go downthe slight embankment next to the road. Forward momentum saved me. Thefact is, I didn’t have time to brake or anything else, it happened sofast.

The deer died shortly after the hit, a few people who hadstopped after seeing the accident dragged her to the shoulder embankment. I was unhurt, only a slight bruise on myleft leg. As far as the FJR faired: 4 of the 6 blue abs plastic fairing partswere damaged, while every thing around the glove box is broken. The windshield was totally removed and themounting hardware was all broken as was the tabs on the headlight. The windshield ended up lying down on mytank bag. The wheels, steering andengine didn’t seam to be affected. Itaped the windshield to the nose and continued on to Kamiah, ID,140 miles away.

I'm off to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca tomorrow morning, so won't be back for a week. (not taking my computer).

laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had another great time at this years SWFOG. Thanks to Scott and Shaun for organizing this and all others for just good company. I made my way home by going north through Wy and west through Montana, Idaho, and Washington/Oregon. I did a total of approximately 3,600 miles with the last day being the shortest at 450 or so, and I played nine holes of golf this afternoon and shot a 38. The ride home was exciting:

On my way back I madecontact with a deer. It happened inLolo, MT. on US 12 about one mile from US 93. It was around 4pm MT, Monday, when the deer came out of a clump of treeson my left. The deer was running diagonallyacross the road, in the directions I was going, when I saw it out of myperipheral vision. At the time, I wasaccelerating and maybe going 60 mph as I had the 70 mph sign in my vision. I didn’t back off on the throttle when I sawwe were going to make contact and maybe that helped me as the deer basicallypushed me off the pavement onto the 3' gravel apron. I was able to keep the bike on the gravel apron and not go downthe slight embankment next to the road. Forward momentum saved me. Thefact is, I didn’t have time to brake or anything else, it happened sofast.

The deer died shortly after the hit, a few people who hadstopped after seeing the accident dragged her to the shoulder embankment. I was unhurt, only a slight bruise on myleft leg. As far as the FJR faired: 4 of the 6 blue abs plastic fairing partswere damaged, while every thing around the glove box is broken. The windshield was totally removed and themounting hardware was all broken as was the tabs on the headlight. The windshield ended up lying down on mytank bag. The wheels, steering andengine didn’t seam to be affected. Itaped the windshield to the nose and continued on to Kamiah, ID,140 miles away.

I'm off to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca tomorrow morning, so won't be back for a week. (not taking my computer).
Dayum...Glad you came out mostly unscathed. That could have been real ugly.

Double Dayum.

Triple Dayum!!!

blufjr: Brother Ken, I am just so really damned glad to hear that you kept the bike upright and that you are A-OK! Always a great pleasure to see you, My Friend! See you at SW-FOG 2013!

Ken, sure glad you're able to post in this "Home Safe" Thread. The bike...you had some practice to do the repairs...Take care my friend and try to stay away from forest rats. :unsure:

Dayum...Glad you came out mostly unscathed. That could have been real ugly.

Double Dayum.

Triple Dayum!!!
Quadruple Dayum!

Glad you made it out ok!

"Forest Rats" is a new term to me. I have always considered them to be a plague of retarded, large, tan goats. We should get a new icon on here for those of us that have had this close encounter and luckily kept the shiny side up. Glad you weren't hurt, bikes are way less painful to fix than people.

"Forest Rats" is a new term to me. I have always considered them to be a plague of retarded, large, tan goats. We should get a new icon on here for those of us that have had this close encounter and luckily kept the shiny side up. Glad you weren't hurt, bikes are way less painful to fix than people.
You mean like this one:
deerstrike1.jpg