Quenching My Thirst to....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I had a great day on the bike yesterday. I invited others to join me, but all had plans, so alone I went. I decided to follow a bunch of waterways for this ride – in hopes of quenching my thirst for 2 things – my need to ride and of course the heat. It ended up being right at 350 miles total, about 60 of that on the slab, and the rest in my element – 2-way curvy back roads. As expected the bike ran flawless, and my fuel mileage was very good - about 45 mpg, indicative of the leisurely pace with which I rode most of the day.

It’s late July in south Louisiana. The entire world is a sauna. I left the house at a tolerable 75, but by noon, it’s pushing 95 and the humidity is at least 60 percent. I found several nice rain showers in the mid-afternoon, and uncharacteristically, I actually altered my route toward them. The rain was very refreshing as I rode very slow on a desolate country roads.

I managed to find a few new-to-me roads, and as always, I found adventure. Hope you enjoy the pics.

At 6:15 am, with plenty of light, I’m geared up and idling out of the neighborhood. Soon, I’m wiggling my way east through the small Cajun town of Breaux Bridge – the self-proclaimed “Crawfish Capital of the World” Still quiet at this general store.

ride1.jpg

This draw bridge spans the Bayou Teche.

ride2.jpg

Continuing east, I hit the I-10 slab with the camera around my neck. This is the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge, an 18 mile continuous bridge on I-10 that spans the largest fresh water swamp in the country.

ride5.jpg

My own version of the “Going to the Sun Highway”

ride3.jpg

The swamp is quiet this morning

ride4.jpg

This is the Atchafalaya River, which runs down the center of the swamp. It takes about 30% of the Mississippi River’s water as a flood control measure.

ride6.jpg

Bike’s looking particularly nice this morning…

ride7.jpg

I jump off the slab and start riding along the Grosse Tete Bayou. Now this is more like it.

ride8.jpg

ride9.jpg

ride10.jpg

The sugar cane is tall (perhaps 8 feet) now. But the stalks, which contain the sugar, are still kind of skinny – about 1 ½” in diameter. They will double in diameter before harvesting later this year.

ride12.jpg

I run though the town of Plaquimine, Louisiana. I’ve always been fascinated with the counterweight on this railroad draw bridge.

ride13.jpg

Plenty of antebellum homes here.

ride14.jpg

ride16.jpg

Interesting but patriotic yard art…

ride17.jpg

This old building reminded me of the Wild West – I have no idea when it was built.

ride15.jpg

My self-guided old home tour caused me to just miss the ferry across the Mississippi River.

ride18.jpg

So with a little time to kill, I ate my horse food snack.

ride20.jpg

I met a bunch of cruiser riders on the ferry. Nice guys they were riding to some kind of belching contest or something…

ride21.jpg

On the east side of the river, I headed toward Alligator Bayou road – one of my favorites.

ride22.jpg

In some spots, the bayou has dried up pretty good.

ride23.jpg

Don’t know the name of this one, but it’s peaceful here and the birds are singing everywhere.

ride24.jpg

These curvy roads follow many of the bayous and rivers of Louisiana. Here’s the Amite River. These guys were catfishing on their day off.

ride25.jpg

ride26.jpg

I ride a bit more to the town of French Settlement, Lousiana and stop for lunch.

ride28.jpg

I asked the owner of this store if she had anything more healthy than pizza or chicken wings. She replied “How about I make you a sandwich?” Not a bad lunch for $4.00.

ride27.jpg

I waived to the owner of this house next to the store. He stopped his garden tractor and asked me if I’d like to sit in the shade to eat my lunch. Southern hospitality.

ride29.jpg

After lunch, I’m back on the twisties, enjoying the bike. Not much traffic for a Saturday.

ride30.jpg

The road follows this beautiful bayou with plenty of camps on the water.

ride31.jpg

ride32.jpg

Now heading generally West, I crossed the Mississippi river on the Sunshine Bridge.

ride34.jpg

ride35.jpg

ride37.jpg

Lots of barge traffic on the river today.

ride38.jpg

Refineries in the petro-chemical industry use the river’s water for heat exchange and shipping purposes.

ride36.jpg

ride39.jpg

After crossing the river, I decide to stop for a drink under the shade of a Live Oak tree.

ride41.jpg

Then I take the river road north in the general direction of home. There’s a pungent odor in the air… must be this enormous pile of sulfur. Peeeee Youuuuu!

ride40.jpg

Passed through the town of Donaldsonville. This old mercantile store under renovation will become the town information/welcome center. A saw a lot of neat old stuff in the windows.

ride42.jpg

I got a little turned around and wound up on some back farm road. There I spotted this crop duster reloading his tank. So I ride up the head land just in time to see it take off. The engine seems very large for this bi-plane.

ride43.jpg

ride44.jpg

It was neat to watch him fly around the fields and spray.

ride45.jpg

Winding my way back to civilization, I found this oak alley with some very welcomed shade.

ride47.jpg

Some old sharecropper’s quarters.

ride46.jpg

ride48.jpg

Then the rain showers hit, so obviously no pictures, but I kind of enjoyed riding very slowly along the levee roads in the rain.

Now heading much closer to home, I stumbled upon traffic stopped.

ride49.jpg

This bridge was temporarily closed for some barge traffic. This one operates on a turntable.

ride50.jpg

From there, it was just about 10 miles to the slab, where I high-geared it home. A nice time – just me and my horse.

Bayous and live oaks makes for beautiful riding. Thanks for the share!

It is kind of funny how you can drive right by interesting things close to home, completely taking them for granted. Then if you see it from the right perspective, it looks fascinating and fantastic. You really did a great job with this, but I will not say thank you this time. You passed within 5 miles of my house and I never heard from you so I am thoroughly disgusted with you right now. Great report and pics though. :angry2:

Hi hppants,

your great ride report did not quench my thirst, it just made me hungry for more.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Yep, I liked this one too. Every time I've crossed the Atchafalaya Bridge, I've seen a wreck with cars that have bounced off of the guard rails, wondering if anyone had ever gone over the side. Guess we'll never know as the gators would just dispose of the evidence. I really liked the shot of the Sunshine Bridge with the grass in the foreground. You can just feel the humidity, in fact, I had to wipe my forehead three times, just reading your report!

Great report, well done! I envy you with the "low" humidity...we were pushing 80-90% over the weekend with temps 95-105. It made for miserable riding, lol. :D

Nice report! I spent two years in Hammond, LA back when I was in radio. I worked for an engineer and we made a regular loop around the state to different towns and radio stations - NO, Leesville, Mansfield, Bogalusa and Donaldsonville. We even hit a couple in Miss. (Belzoni was one, if I spelled it right). I remember the humididty but was reminded rather forcefully last week. I was in Alexandria at a customer site Thursday and Friday and I think it was much higher than 60%!! I was trying to imagine how it would feel on the FJR, but after seeing these pix, I don't think I'd mind it soo much! Thanks for reminding me how beautiful Lousiana can be! (Not counting that plant by the Sunshine bridge; we passed by there many times on those loops around the state).

Every time I've crossed the Atchafalaya Bridge, I've seen a wreck with cars that have bounced off of the guard rails, wondering if anyone had ever gone over the side. Guess we'll never know as the gators would just dispose of the evidence.
I did my first SS1K July 14th and on the return leg I hit a torrential typical Louisiana flooding rain just as I started up the Atchafalaya bridge heading east. I was less than an hour from completion and home, it was dark and the rain prevented me from seeing anything. That 18 miles of elevated bridge was the worst part of the entire trip and I thought about those damned alligators alot for the first few miles. At least the rain was bad enough to keep the 18 wheelers at the speed limit and in the right lane. Thank you Michelin for making the PR2 such an excellent wet weather tire!

Yes, they do go over the side but not very often. Getting the vehicles back up to the bridge level is a pain.

Great job as usual Pants! On my way back from Vegas where I have been filming Hangover 3 this past weekend ;) (report pending) waiting on my connecting flight back to Birmingham enjoying your read. I'm really looking forward to doing a good 2-3 day weekend ride in your backyard this fall. Thanks!

Thank you all for reading my report, and your warm replies.

Redfish Hunter - I debated posting this R/R because I knew that you would be disappointed that I didn't invite you. The truth is my plans were soft until about 5:00 am on Saturday morning, after a good look at the radar. This could have been a ride west or north. Obviously, when it became east, I don't think you would have taken too kindly to a 5 am wake up call. None the less, sooner rather than later - we will ride together. Regardless - you are absolutely correct in that the bike makes our environment come alive. In the cage, the travel is a trip. On the bike, it's an adventure.

Sacramento Mike - In Louisiana, the term "camp" can vary greatly from a multi-million dollar mansion to "HOLY CRAP - it's raining in here and is that snake on my mattress poisonous?!!" :) However, the purpose is still the same.... eat, drink, and be merry....

Burnspot - the humidity was cranking, no doubt we are in the Dog Days of Summer now. But I'm still riding in full gear - I'd rather be uncomfortable and riding than bored at home....

FJR Bandit - It'd be my pleasure to show you around my great State. Do let me know your plans. I'll tell my wife that you promise not to rape me. You do promise not to rape me, don't you?

Cajw - the Atchafalaya Basin can be very dangerous. And when there's a wreck, you could easily spend a 1/2 day parked there. I recall 1 memorable afternoon where a neighboring traveler broke out a football and we had a nice game of pitch and catch right there on I-10. I went a tad too wide and/or he led me too much and pitched the football right over the edge. :)

That bridge was considered to be one of the engineering marvels of the 20th century. I can only imagine the challenges our workers over came building a bridge over a swamp in the 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I have all sorts of Bayou songs running through my head.

Thanks for the RR, enjoyable to see parts of the country I've not been to.