MCL foot Peg Lowering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolff

Reaction score
I purchased a set of motorcycle Larry's foot peg lowering brackets recently. I put them on last week before a long ride and man what a difference. There is only one review on his site for these and it was from a guy that was tall and wanted more room. I have shorter legs and lowered / altered my seat and my leggs were getting crunched. This lowers the pegs and moves them forward a bit. Very comfortable and I have not touched them down yet on corners. Between these and the hwy pegs I bought from him I'm comfortable on long rides.

Scott

I ran them the first year I got the FJR but removed them as I got more comfortable pushing the bike thru the corners, they started touching down quit frequently. That would make me rather uncomfortable while having fun in the twisty's so off they came.

Very comfortable and I have not touched them down yet on corners.
...they started touching down quit frequently. That would make me rather uncomfortable while having fun in the twisty's so off they came.
The easy fix is to just simply make sure your hwy pegs are folded up when riding aggressively in the twisties, that's what I do. Then I fold them down when I'm on flat roads and it's a life saver to be able to stretch my legs out. Pretty dang easy to fold them up with your feet while your riding.

Very comfortable and I have not touched them down yet on corners.
...they started touching down quit frequently. That would make me rather uncomfortable while having fun in the twisty's so off they came.
The easy fix is to just simply make sure your hwy pegs are folded up when riding aggressively in the twisties, that's what I do. Then I fold them down when I'm on flat roads and it's a life saver to be able to stretch my legs out. Pretty dang easy to fold them up with your feet while your riding.
I went to the "Wild Bill's" set up after I got rid of the MCL lowering pegs that lowered the stoke ride pegs.

I went to the "Wild Bill's" set up after I got rid of the MCL lowering pegs that lowered the stoke ride pegs.
MCL Pegs (I have these)

Wild Bill Pegs

They look about exactly the same to me. Please explain the difference besides the style of the peg. Other than that they are both mounted in the same location and they both fold up. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
The original highway pegs from Wild Bill used aftermarket foot pegs where as MCL uses OEM type pegs. It is remarkable how MCL road peg kit ended up virtually identical to the Wild Bill road peg kit :assassin: The only thing that MCL couldn't rip off copy was the price.

Hey Roller, it looks like you guys are actually discussing two separate things... the original post has to do with lowering the original pegs. He said that he also added the MCL highway pegs. Panman was referring to the lowering pegs when he said he took them off and went to the highway pegs. So he's just saying that he went back to the stock position for the rider pegs and added highway pegs. You (and ionbeam) are correct in that there is no functional difference between the MCL and Wild Bill highway pegs.

Now - on to my comment on the original post. I had my knee scoped back in March and purchased the MCL lowering pegs so that my knee would have a little more extension when on the rider pegs. After a couple of months of healing I removed the lowering pegs because I found that the lowering pegs not only lower the peg but also place the foot out wider and it causes one to have to turn the foot in to apply the rear brake. It put too much pressure on my healing knee to have to twist the foot to apply the brake. I passed the peg lowers on to a forum member for a fair price.

I also have the Wild Bill highway pegs. It just gives you several different combinations for foot placement and allows you to stretch out your legs a bit on long hauls. As Roller said, they easily fold up with your feet when hitting the twisties.

Hey Roller, it looks like you guys are actually discussing two separate things... the original post has to do with lowering the original pegs. He said that he also added the MCL highway pegs. Panman was referring to the lowering pegs when he said he took them off and went to the highway pegs. So he's just saying that he went back to the stock position for the rider pegs and added highway pegs. You (and ionbeam) are correct in that there is no functional difference between the MCL and Wild Bill highway pegs.
Oh ok. That makes more sense.

I guess I was just thinking of the Hwy pegs and not the lowering pegs for the stock OEM peg position. To that note when I bought my bike it already had the 1" lowering pegs on the stock peg position and yes you do touch down in the curves a lot sooner. I took them off last year and have ridden without them ever since. The extra 1" of lowered pegs is not worth the lower ground clearance and lean angle that you loose IMO. My 1" lowering extensions are in my shop on a shelf somewhere. lol

I had them on my last FJR and am putting them on the FJR I'm buying on Friday. I agree with the posters that say this will make you scrape in the turns easier. After I had them I scraped in turns on severe roads several times, but as another poster said, you need to have your feet a little turned out wider. This has made it so my boot sole scrapes before the peg. That was disconcerting the first time, but I knew that my foot would move in before I would stick peg into road surface. I'm 56 years old, 6'0 tall and weigh 280 lbs. I need the extra inch or so for my thighs and knees and the cost of angle loss is the price I pay.