Cam Chain Tensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveToRide

Reaction score
Need to replace my Cam Chain Tensioner(CCT). I see this is a regular problem with FJR's, mine just started this year around 35K miles. Not bad really. Question: other than the part number 5JW-12210-10-00 for the CCT, I understand I need to buy some other o'rings and stuff. Does anyone have a list of parts I should get to complete the CCT replacement?

Much appreciated.

LiveToRide

Need to replace my Cam Chain Tensioner(CCT). I see this is a regular problem with FJR's, mine just started this year around 35K miles. Not bad really. Question: other than the part number 5JW-12210-10-00 for the CCT, I understand I need to buy some other o'rings and stuff. Does anyone have a list of parts I should get to complete the CCT replacement?

Much appreciated.

LiveToRide

Have a look at THIS THREAD.

Lots of other stuff on the site as well.

Much appreciated.

LiveToRide
Just do a google search for cct site:fjrforum.com should bring up soome topics. There's a good one with pics in there somewhere.

The can chain tensioner is a regular problem on FJRs? No it's not. Some of the Gen one bikes have had an issue, and I dont think any with as few as 35k on them.

Since I'm on my phone, I can't tell what year bike you have, but if you have can chain issues with a GenII, you may wanna see what's really going on.

35K seems awfully early for a CCT, I do get an occasional noise mostly when the bike has been sitting for a few days but when its warm no problems. I have almost 50K at this time.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't need them, but OCD me purchased a gasket, the middle of the CCT bolt, and two mounting bolts. Also get a gasket for the cam chain cover.

These parts are cheap and I'm of the school of thought that if you have them, you won't need them.

Dropping something into the abyss of the engine compartment can immediately become problematic.

Parts wise, there's very little involved. Technique wise, read up. That bottom bolt cozied close to the frame is a tough nut to crack. (pun intended)

Tools like curved shorty combo wrench and wobble socket/extension might be helpful depending on what path you take. Definitely cable tie the chain snug to prevent the small chance of jumping teeth putting the valve timing out of wack.

(Ever since the caliper mounting bolts had the heads strip removing them, I feel better having spare bolts and hardware around.)

best of luck,

Mike of Nawlins'

Rick, Panman posted this list over on the PNW Fall Tech meet thread. You will also need 3 bottles of the Honda HP4 antifreeze coolant. It is already pre-diluted. Hinshaws carries it. The rest you can get on line and save some $.

Panman's post:

Qty Item Item # PRICE Total

1) 1 TENSIONER ASSY, CAM 5JW-12210-10-00 75.82 75.82

2) 1 GASKET, TENSIONER CA 5JW-12213-00-00 1.14 1.14

3) 1 GASKET, HEAD COVER 1 5JW-11193-00-00 14.51 14.51 Optional

4) 2 O-RING 93210-47675-00 2.02 4.04

5) 3 GASKET, OIL PUMP COV 5JW-15456-11-00 6.47 6.47

Edit: Correct Orings (Thanks Chuck35)

O-RING 93210-32172-00

O-RING 2 needed 93210-18417-00 .

Rick, Panman posted this list over on the PNW Fall Tech meet thread. You will also need 3 bottles of the Honda HP4 antifreeze coolant. It is already pre-diluted. Hinshaws carries it. The rest you can get on line and save some $.

Panman's post:

Edit

I'm worried about that #4 item part number we want 2 o-rings for the water pipe and when checking numbers I found this # 93210-18417-00 for those. We got the right stuff but that number doesn't check out.
Those look like all the parts for a valve check. If he is just doing the CCT, he won't need all that. Though I would buy the right side cover gasket.

If he IS doing a complete valve check, the Gen I has two different sized O-rings for the coolant pipe. Two of the small size, one of the large size.

If the cam cover is coming off for a valve check it is not necessary to remove the right side fairing and the timing cover[right side cover] to cable tie the chain. It is possible to reach down the cam chain tunnel on the intake cam side with a long thin screwdriver and hold the slipper tight against the chain to prevent slack. I first slid the box end of a combo wrench over the screwdriver shaft and jammed the open end against the frame to hold pressure on the screwdriver and leave my hands free for dicking around with the tensioner bolts..

Panman's post:

Edit

I'm worried about that #4 item part number we want 2 o-rings for the water pipe and when checking numbers I found this # 93210-18417-00 for those. We got the right stuff but that number doesn't check out.
Those look like all the parts for a valve check. If he is just doing the CCT, he won't need all that. Though I would buy the right side cover gasket.

If he IS doing a complete valve check, the Gen I has two different sized O-rings for the coolant pipe. Two of the small size, one of the large size.
We'll be doing the valve check while we are in there at the tech meet. Looks like a little more research needed for the orings.

If the cam cover is coming off for a valve check it is not necessary to remove the right side fairing and the timing cover[right side cover] to cable tie the chain. It is possible to reach down the cam chain tunnel on the intake cam side with a long thin screwdriver and hold the slipper tight against the chain to prevent slack. I first slid the box end of a combo wrench over the screwdriver shaft and jammed the open end against the frame to hold pressure on the screwdriver and leave my hands free for dicking around with the tensioner bolts..

We're going to lift the cover so we can visually verify that nothing slips. SInce we are in that far, we'll cehcek the valves too.

sounds like there's a real chance to accidently drop something down the inside of the engine

the chain cover is unobstructed on the right side and SO easy to remove

even I could do it...gasket was reused with no issues

I had created a wish list awhile back for this job.

Here are the o rings I have listed.

O-RING 93210-32172-00

O-RING 2 needed 93210-18417-00

You may also want to consider a shim kit.

HOTCAMS 9.48 VALVE SHIM KIT HCSHIM02 (ebay) 4114411 (powersportsplus.com)

I had created a wish list awhile back for this job.

Here are the o rings I have listed.

O-RING 93210-32172-00

O-RING 2 needed 93210-18417-00

You may also want to consider a shim kit.

HOTCAMS 9.48 VALVE SHIM KIT HCSHIM02 (ebay) 4114411 (powersportsplus.com)
Already have the shim kit. Thanks for the Oring numbers.

just wondering, how did you determine that you "need" to replace the CCT at only 35k miles? Noisy?

according to the service manual, this is a 45 minute, relatively easy job. But if you look at some of the posts on this, it gets turned into a four hour, tear the right side of the engine apart, ordeal..

And yes, I replaced the CCT on my '05 FJR in 45 minutes using just the service manual instructions and looking at prior posts on this forum.

suggest you read this thread and get the extension and wobble socket mentioned from Sears as it makes the job possible.

CCT