FJR vs 1198

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A41Billy

Reaction score
Went for a nice ride out Trail Hwy with a couple buddies the other day. We stopped half way for lunch. As we finished eating, my Ducati riding friend asks if I would like to ride his 1198 for a couple miles on the ride home. I quickly responded with a "HELL YES". His rules, no wheelies.

Coming off the FJR and onto the Ducati was a shock to the ergos. I knew I was on something special. The seat was hard and only 3/4" thick. The exhaust runs directly underneath it, so the buns toast. I was careful with it as I adjusted to it's controls and responses to my inputs. After a minute or two it was time to feel the capabilities. This bike will get moving in a hurry. I look down to catch a glimpse of the speedo showing 140. Time to bring her down. The Brembo brakes were smooth and powerful.

That couple miles turned into 60. I did accidentally pull the front wheel up just giving her a little juice, ooops(sorry Robert). The true joy was getting off the slab and onto some back roads. This bike was so effortless in the corners. It felt so light and nimble, yet so raw and powerful.

After we got back we exchanged our thoughts. I thanked him for letting me ride his bike, as it was an experience I would probably never have gotten if not for his generosity.

He said he was really impressed with the FJRs power and called it the flying couch. Getting back on my Yamaha quickly reminded my of how comfortable and refined this machine is. As much fun as that Ducati 1198 was, I wouldnt trade my FJR for any other bike.

0lNbz.jpg

An 1198 is like a hot but crazy woman. Riding once or twice would be a blast, but a relationship is out of the question. YMMV on both accounts.

An 1198 is like a hot but crazy woman. Riding once or twice would be a blast, but a relationship is out of the question. YMMV on both accounts.
Thank you, sir. I'm always needing to quell those intermittent flirtations with more and different hot motorcycles, and that description is exactly the Rx I've long needed for the 1198. I've done the hot and crazy woman thing. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Once upon a time, you and I both rode a 91 GSX1100G. Now we ride the FJR. But cha gotta admit Billy, that 1198 makes you look good... Sorta like I felt the day i went out with Jeannie some 35 years ago. I knew I was WAYYY our of my league, but oh what an evening that was. All she had to do is blink her eyes or move her arm, she was like poetry in 3D. But I knew I could never keep her. It just wasn't in me to do all that was necessary to keep her for long. Sorta like owning an 1198. Too much maintenance, too much money, and though it's beautiful, it only does one thing well. That 1198's a beautiful machine, is it not?

Gary

darksider #44

Once upon a time, you and I both rode a 91 GSX1100G. Now we ride the FJR. But cha gotta admit Billy, that 1198 makes you look good... Sorta like I felt the day i went out with Jeannie some 35 years ago. I knew I was WAYYY our of my league, but oh what an evening that was. All she had to do is blink her eyes or move her arm, she was like poetry in 3D. But I knew I could never keep her. It just wasn't in me to do all that was necessary to keep her for long. Sorta like owning an 1198. Too much maintenance, too much money, and though it's beautiful, it only does one thing well. That 1198's a beautiful machine, is it not?

Gary

darksider #44
You cant help but feel like a super hero on that 1198. kolonial72 has the perfect analogy. That is cool you rode a G as well. What a torque monster that bike was! My prelude to an FJR.

Getting back on my Yamaha quickly reminded my of how comfortable and refined this machine is. As much fun as that Ducati 1198 was, I wouldnt trade my FJR for any other bike.
Thats good to know. It is cool to try different bikes as much as possible and many, many times all it does is reinforce how happy one is with the FJR. The FJR has it's limitations when compared to a balls to the walls sportbike, but the same is also true of the sportbike. The FJR is not a perfect bike...but it is one of the best if not the best all around do everything bike IMO.

Sounds like you had a great experience! :yahoo: Your very lucky to be able to try it for a good distance.

I've long lusted for a Ducati in race trim as we have a road track just 20 miles south of here that would be lots of fun.

or maybe you could look at it another way,

his " generousity" to let you ride his 1198 "hot crazy girlfriend"

could have been his need to try some thing different,

everybody daydreams about gettin some "strange" now an then,

so he enjoyed your FJR's comforts tremendously while keeping up to his 1198

and that's the reason that it lasted 60 miles

so maybe he had as much fun swapping "girlfriends" as you did

Nice write up, the two bikes has it strength and weakness. I do like my FJR in ways that my R1 can't touch: however, I do like my R1 in ways that my FJR can't touch either. Overall they are both great bikes that are more suited better for different riding goals. :rolleyes:

What a deal!!

I miss my old Duc. When you got in the twisties, that is what a Duc is made for.

I dream of having an 1198!! :yahoo: Some day.... :unsure:

Yesterday I was visiting Euro Cycles in Tampa. Its the local Ducati dealer. I spotted a 2007 S2R for a reasonable price and while looking it over the salesman almost begged me to take it for a ride. How could I resist.

Took it for a 30 minute ride. Just as mentioned by the OP the ergonomics took some getting used to after being on an FJR for so long. First thing I noticed as I was pulling out of the dealership and had to stop for traffic was how great the Brimbo's work. Had to take it easy with the brakes from that point on. Suspension was also very stiff compared to the FJR even though I have my stock suspension set about as stiff as can be. The quicker turn in had me almost running off the inside of the first couple of curves. Once I adjusted and ran it in deeper everything was fine.

It was a fun bike to ride. Riding position was something I could adjust to and wasn't uncomfortable at least for the 30 minute ride.

First of all those 1198's are damn sexy. This just goes to show that there is a need for multiple motorcycls. A bike for LD riding, some things for hitting the track and one for the offroad.

I was out riding with some Ducati guys a few weeks ago in the Santa Monica mountains, I was following this guy on his nice new 1199 Panigale with only 50 miles on it when he did this......

https://vimeo.com/46723323

Strangely enough he never put a make on the bike but did screw up his nice new tennis shoes.....

R

That tends to happen when you can't lose the old guy on the fat assed FJR who's glued to your tail. Methinks he need to work on his lines.

What I noticed is that he wasn't looking where he wanted to go. Its was like he saw the guard rail but didn't know how to prevent hitting it. That is why continued skill development is so important. He is also very luck that he stayed upright.

He was probably looking in his mirrors asking "WTF is that thing behind me...oh crap...TURN!"