FJR Top speed.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaseven

Reaction score
For the first time since I got my 07 ae new in 2010 I finally got 1500 miles on it. Shoulder injury sidelined me for 2 years.

I had a chance to run it out and it pulled all the way to 140 in 4th gear. By my calculations this thing ought to run close to or over 165 but mine just quits at 150

It doesn't feel like a rev limiter but it has to be. Are these things cutting cylinders or just remapping at a specific RPM in high gear.

I've been riding for 41 years and I cant tell.

Thanks

Geno

An FJR's top speed will vary based on many factors. I've owned several Gen I FJRs and they all had different top speeds. And those can vary by bike set-up also. Whether bags are on, whether you have an aftermarket screen. Is screen up or down. Stuff like that. Then there are environmental factors like wind, temperature, elevation, and road incline or decline.

My top speeds measured by gps have been anywhere between 142 mph and 160 mph. None of those were limited by the FJR's rev limiter. An FJR's top speed is limited by available power and resistance. In my experience, the rev limiter kicks in around 10,500 rpm which you won't hit at max speed in 5th gear. Though on my lower geared Gen I the one time I hit 160 mph I was close. On Gen I FJRs, speeds over 150 mph or so you are past the 9,000 rpm redline. Typically, on the Gen Is I have owned, top speed by gps (speedo is always showing much higher) is around 147-154mph.

The times I have hit the rev limiter have been in lower gears while accelerating. 2nd or 3rd gear generally. I am assuming the rev limiter is the ecu cutting fuel on all cylinders, but I don't know that for sure.

Take your FJR and keep on accelerating in 2nd gear past the 9,000 rpm 'redline' and you will feel it when the rev limiter kicks in.

Last edited by a moderator:
An FJR's top speed will vary based on many factors. I've owned several Gen I FJRs and they all had different top speeds. And those can vary by bike set-up also. Whether bags are on, whether you have an aftermarket screen. Is screen up or down. Stuff like that. Then there are environmental factors like wind, temperature, elevation, and road incline or decline.

My top speeds measured by gps have been anywhere between 142 mph and 160 mph. None of those were limited by the FJR's rev limiter. An FJR's top speed is limited by available power and resistance. In my experience, the rev limiter kicks in around 10,500 rpm which you won't hit at max speed in 5th gear. Though on my lower geared Gen I the one time I hit 160 mph I was close. On Gen I FJRs, speeds over 150 mph or so you are past the 9,000 rpm redline. Typically, on the Gen Is I have owned, top speed by gps (speedo is always showing much higher) is around 147-154mph.

The times I have hit the rev limiter have been in lower gears while accelerating. 2nd or 3rd gear generally. I am assuming the rev limiter is the ecu cutting fuel on all cylinders, but I don't know that for sure.

Take your FJR and keep on accelerating in 2nd gear past the 9,000 rpm 'redline' and you will feel it when the rev limiter kicks in.
Yea I can feel it around 9.5 in every gear but 4th and 5th. My Gps reads 161 topped out but it seems like it would pull on out to 165 if it didn't hit that wall.

oh well who cares

it does everyhing so well that no single thing can lower it's fun as hell factor.

gene

SpeedSigns-funnyjunk.jpg

speed_limit.jpg

Never been that fast, but aerodynamics are a bitch when all those air molecules build up at the front.

I have no problem with those pesky built up molecules bottlenose.... I just blow 'em outa the way.

I've suggested this fix to Yamaha for the genlll's. I'm thinking 185 will be within reach. ;)

Fan.png

I hit 140 once and I know I had more to go but, that's when my Butt Cheeks actually started talking. They said: Slow the Fuck Down you idiot!! :unsure:

I hit 140 once and I know I had more to go but, that's when my Butt Cheeks actually started talking. They said: Slow the Fuck Down you idiot!! :unsure:
I reached that speed (the highest I have ever gone) on my last road trip and ironically, the very same thing happened to me. :dribble:

I always try and get "High Score" when I pass one of these.

Does the FJ succumb to any type of instability at higher speeds? On one of my first trips out with this bike, I reached just shy of 130 and was surprised at how sure-footed it felt. My old Maxims would develop a sickening wobble around the 100-110 mark (if I placed my feet on the passenger pegs so as to crouch forward more aerodynamically, the wobble started at 85) but it gave plenty of warning. Nevertheless, the concern of hitting a high speed wobble at higher speeds that gave little warning has always made me apprehensive about pushing this bike further. Or maybe it's just my nut-sac is getting too long, I don't know. :whistling:

Does the FJ succumb to any type of instability at higher speeds? On one of my first trips out with this bike, I reached just shy of 130 and was surprised at how sure-footed it felt. My old Maxims would develop a sickening wobble around the 100-110 mark (if I placed my feet on the passenger pegs so as to crouch forward more aerodynamically, the wobble started at 85) but it gave plenty of warning. Nevertheless, the concern of hitting a high speed wobble at higher speeds that gave little warning has always made me apprehensive about pushing this bike further. Or maybe it's just my nut-sac is getting too long, I don't know. :whistling:
No wobble at all, it was smooth as silk at 140. That's the Scary part about this bike. I've stayed waaay below that ever since. Cruising at 100 is my sweet spot! Love it! :assassin:

I think you mean a 'weave' vs. a 'wobble'. Wobble is when the handlebars get that shake, frequently decelerating around 50-40 mph. Weave is a higher speed phenomena and has more to do with the rear end.

I think you mean a 'weave' vs. a 'wobble'. Wobble is when the handlebars get that shake, frequently decelerating around 50-40 mph. Weave is a higher speed phenomena and has more to do with the rear end.
I've never heard the term 'weave' applied to a bike before (just in reference to a new hair style), but I was referring to front end shuttering when I said 'wobble'. My 550 Maxim was horrible for it happening at highway speeds but it was forgiving too. With the knowledge I have now about tires, fairings and esp. suspension, it was probably a problem I could have remedied.

Yeah, you don't wanna get me involved in a GPS max speed pissing contest:

MaxSpeed2720.jpg

It's obviously incorrect, but it is the readout on my device. Apparently it hadn't been powered up for several weeks when it was shipped to me after an eBay purchase, so the combination of time and distance from its previous fix had it fixing erroneously for a few minutes on power-up. It's fix would correct every few seconds, and the position change between fixes resulted in it having to have gone this fast to get there.

So I've never reset the max speed. I like it!

Last edited by a moderator: