FJR gas mileage pulling a trailer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fz1don

Reaction score
Took my first ride pulling my trailer today. Went from Knoxville to Nashville and back getting 36 mpg. Trailer weighs around 100 pounds and I probably had 75 pounds of camping gear in it. Curious what kind of mileage other people are getting. I did remove my top box but now I am wondering if maybe leaving it on may cut the wind better. Other than the mileage I am pleased with the trailer. It will be nice to be able to carry a little more gear for camping.

What was your mileage like before? That doesn't sound all that far off to me. I would expect a fairly major hit to the gas mileage towing a trailer.

I usually ride 2-up, loaded, pulling a trailer that probably weighs 250#.

I don't ride noticeably slower when pulling the trailer.

I typically get about 38-39 MPG.

Without the trailer I get about 44-46 MPG.

I pull a Aspen Sentry that has a gross weight of around 450#, and if I stay within the posted speed limits (which I do when I'm pulling the trailer, because, hey, I'm pulling an effin' trailer!) I get between 35 and 40 MPG - about a 20% reduction from normal 45-50 MPG. Doesn't seem to matter whether I pull the trailer solo or 2-up, gas mileage is around the same.

Griff

Riding 2up, pulling a bushtec trailer loaded wieghing about 450 pounds. On our long trip last year to Alaska, northern BC, Youkon, Ablerta and back averaging about 80-90 mph, we used 105.65 gallons of gas traveled 4157 miles for an average 39.34 mpg.

The bike has a PCV with autotune, remus slip-ons.

Riding 2up, pulling a bushtec trailer loaded wieghing about 450 pounds. On our long trip last year to Alaska, northern BC, Youkon, Ablerta and back averaging about 80-90 mph, we used 105.65 gallons of gas traveled 4157 miles for an average 39.34 mpg.

The bike has a PCV with autotune, remus slip-ons.
Can you BE more specific?

I get right around 40 two up (I'm not small) pulling a Bushtec with 150lbs in it.

PCIII with custom map and staintune cans.

October2010001-1.jpg

Well if I remember right I think I got around 30mpg towing this setup and riding two up. I normally get about 40mpg when riding solo and no load. So I don't know what I was doing wrong. Maybe it's just my right wrist. LOL

Thanks for the replys. I appologize for the repost, but I lost this one. My bad. I really need to get the hang of the search bar.

It's ok Don. You will catch up to speed. Until then just grin and bear the personal attacks. To see what you have posted in,just click on your profile in the top right then click on "my content". That will bring up your posts.

Rob

ps I got about 39mpg Canadian on my last trip with the trailer.

Took my first ride pulling my trailer today. Went from Knoxville to Nashville and back getting 36 mpg. Trailer weighs around 100 pounds and I probably had 75 pounds of camping gear in it. Curious what kind of mileage other people are getting. I did remove my top box but now I am wondering if maybe leaving it on may cut the wind better. Other than the mileage I am pleased with the trailer. It will be nice to be able to carry a little more gear for camping.
Curious what type of trailer are you towing? Looks to me that the Uni-go would be the best bet for the lowest aerodynamic profile.

October2010001-1.jpg

Well if I remember right I think I got around 30mpg towing this setup and riding two up. I normally get about 40mpg when riding solo and no load. So I don't know what I was doing wrong. Maybe it's just my right wrist. LOL
Dang, Eric. Time to go to the Country Squire Wagon!