Freeing the rear wheel from the brake pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
To cut a long storey short, I wanted to see if anything was causing my rear wheel to bind. Naturally when you try to spin it, the brake pads rub gently on the disc, quite enough so that the wheel doesn't spin freely.

I wanted to free the brake off completely, the obvious way was to take the calliper off. But, having just had it all off, cleaned it all up and put it all back, ...

(Click on image for larger view)

...I really didn't want to take it all off again.

Then the little bulb lit up
bigeyedsmiley.png

I used the heel of my hand against the calliper with a firm, steady pressure,

which dutifully pushed its piston in, so freeing the pads completely from the disc
smile.gif

Now the wheel would spin happily, with only the resistance of bearings and drive shaft
biggrinsmiley.gif

Might be useful to someone out there.

Most importantly, don't forget to operate the lever a few times before riding ...

Now the wheel would spin happily, with only the resistance of bearings and drive shaft
Until the first time the brake is used which will put the pads back where they're supposed to be with a slight drag on the rotor.

Are you trying to permently stop this resistance? If that was your goal, it's not possible.

Until the first time the brake is used which will put the pads back where they're supposed to be with a slight drag on the rotor.

Are you trying to permently stop this resistance? If that was your goal, it's not possible.
FFS!

Yes, I'm well aware of normal disc-brake operation.

As it happens, I was investigating a warmer-than-normal brake disc, and simply wanted to see the difference between normal brake drag and no brake drag. Found this way of freeing the brakes using no tools, so a very quick and easy way of possibly investigating wheel bearing noise/play, drive-line chatter or whatever without interference from the brake.

Never seen this done before, thought it might be useful to someone, somewhere, sometime.

Yes, I'm well aware of normal disc-brake operation.
As it happens, I was investigating a warmer-than-normal brake disc, and simply wanted to see the difference between normal brake drag and no brake drag. Found this way of freeing the brakes using no tools, so a very quick and easy way of possibly investigating wheel bearing noise/play, drive-line chatter or whatever without interference from the brake.

Never seen this done before, thought it might be useful to someone, somewhere, sometime.
Don't be dissuaded, it's a good idea you've stumbled across. I do it every time I remove a wheel, it makes reassembly so much easier. The only things tho: as you mentioned pump up the brake pedal/lever when done but also watch the brake fluid level in the reservoir. Often as brake pads wear, if the owner tops off the level once or twice, you'll have too much when you squish them open and may need to remove some only to re-add it later. Just depends on how worn the pads are, what the level of fluid is and how big the reservoir is. Something to watch for.

Love the last line about anal maintenance. How true. :lol:

GP
My sig line? It's a collection of thread topics I couldn't help but chuckle about. Seems even more appropo this time of year when thoughts turn towards winter maintenance.