ECU reflash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most folks use a Power Commander or similar thing that sits between the ECU and the injectors instead of actually reflashing the ECU itself. The main advantages are there's no risk of bricking your ECU, no voiding of warranties, and more adaptability between any factory changes to ECUs between generations.

I'm familiar with reflashing mostly as a function of performance cars. In that case, I always "un mary" the ECU before taking it into the shop for any services or warranty work. It's easier with the cars thanks to the OBD2 port than it would be with the FJR and accessing it under the fairing/tank.

As for this specific product, there are a lot of their bullet items that leave me scratching my head as to why the FJR needs it.

* 6-15 % Power Increased (tested? dyno numbers?)

* Remove Factory Throttle Restrictions (only France has this last I heard)

* Increased Idle (why? to what end? 1100 is fine and well within access)

* Increased Rev Limit (why? the pwoer curve drops off before the current limits)

* Remove Speed Limiters (again, there are none in the US)

* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration (have there been complaints? i've never heard them)

* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction (Power Commander)

* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration (Power Commander)

* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper) (The FJR doesn't have these)

* Improved Fuel Maps (Power Commander)

* Improved Ignition Maps (?)

* Remove Closed Loop Routine For Use of AutoTune Air/Fuel Modules (as simple as unplugging the sensor)

* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only) (FJR hasn't got 'em)

* Custom Modification Accommodations (Exhaust, tuning, Internal Engine) (needs a dyno run and PC does this too)

* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations (why put race fuel in the FJR? it works fine on 87)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost 100% sure FJR ecu is not reprogramable, no reflash is possible.

Engine runs on a fixed set of sensor values, controlled by ecu. mapping.

Fuel injected Harley's and many newer dirt bikes can be reflashed, or reprogramed.