Being Seen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently begun to farkle the 08 FJR that has not been ridden since I brought her home.
One of my farkles I add to every bike for visibility is Reflective PVC Tape. This sets me back about
$7 per roll.

Bags without Tape
IMG_0275.jpg

Farkle and needed tools
IMG_0276.jpg

Tape on (As it would appear in daylight)
IMG_0277.jpg

Tape on (Night time no light)
IMG_0278.jpg

Tape on (night with flash)
IMG_0279.jpg

On my 05 (I used lime green on trunk)
farkles098-1.jpg

I also will put FJR specific bag reflecting covers on.

BTW This tape can be doubled for a soft key chain, Many uses.
It has lasted 3 years on the 05- it looks faded in the day
but still has full reflective traits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of being seen. I have lots of reflective stuff on the rear of my bike (on side and top boxes) and lights on the forks. As my budget allows I'll be adding more lights.

I also have more reflective material at home and am contemplating more of it on the bike. I just have to decide where to put it to increase visibility without making my bike ugly. ;)

I'm a big fan of being seen. I have lots of reflective stuff on the rear of my bike (on side and top boxes) and lights on the forks. As my budget allows I'll be adding more lights.

I also have more reflective material at home and am contemplating more of it on the bike. I just have to decide where to put it to increase visibility without making my bike ugly. ;)
Ahhh ....and I see you have the REQUIRED dragon on your bike too!

I also have one on the back of my Helmet-( Reflective silver on silver)

Ahhh ....and I see you have the REQUIRED dragon on your bike too!

I also have one on the back of my Helmet-( Reflective silver on silver)
LOL, yep. Heck, I have a dragon tattoo, why not a sticker (or two) on my bike? I think they look ok whether or not you know where they're from.

I have a silver helmet too but got a black sticker for that. I like the reflective silver on silver idea. .

For those interested, before you put on the dreaded yellow tape (my opinion), someone on here sells 3M stick ons for the back of the bags. Has a full FJR logo on them and when the lights hit them, they light up like nuts. But in daytime all you can see is the FJR logo. I don't remember who has the, but I really like them.

In most cases I also prefer the FJR logo reflectors. But, the yellow tape looks pretty good against the blue bike, it will probably look pretty good against the black one as well. Also the yellow tape gives you a chance to personalize and customize the look. You also get the benefit of reflectors from multiple directions, not just from the back of the bike. While I don't think it would look too good against the Black Cherry color it is still an excellent idea. I'll take it a step further and say that when the Pathfinder speaks, it is usually worth listening to.

Thanks for sharing a useful safety tip.

For those interested, before you put on the dreaded yellow tape (my opinion), someone on here sells 3M stick ons for the back of the bags. Has a full FJR logo on them and when the lights hit them, they light up like nuts. But in daytime all you can see is the FJR logo. I don't remember who has the, but I really like them.
Yes, his name is Alex and when I replaced my left bag he was nice enough to sell me a replacement.

I will use the yellow tape on the top case for extra visibility.

I'm a big advocate of the "being seen" motto.

Recently had to ride "on base" so had my reflective vest on. You know, some people will say it was "just your perception"...

But I've got to tell you... people have respect for you when u have a reflective vest on. They really do. It was quite noticeable

the difference in peoples driving when it's obvious they can see you as opposed to when they cannot.

when people can *maybe* see you, or they're *not sure* or etc etc... it's very different when it's obvious ;)

try it, you'll see what I mean.

Yes, his name is Alex and when I replaced my left bag he was nice enough to sell me a replacement.

Alex -- at realtimeindustries.com -- a fellow FJR'er

School Bus Reflective Prismatic Conspicuity tape is a highly reflective yellow tape that is 5 times more reflective than standard reflective materials. Click

This is very very bright tape. I have some V92 on my helmet and have had a number of comments on how bright it is.

https://
schoolbus.jpg

Here's mine from the rear.

P4240664.JPG

Keep Going!

Alex -- at realtimeindustries.com -- a fellow FJR'er
+1

I also have these on the 05, and will put them on the 08

The PVC tape is also 3D with padded thickness. Light can be reflected from and towards differing angles.

Consider tired truckers with colors which beg recognition.

Other colors I have seen them:

White

Orange

Yellow

Blue (Do not know the legality in some states)

Red "

One of my first LD rides was a 100CCC and I threw some red/white stripe tape (Just for the ride)

After seeing photos of the bike at night, I feel "Better seen" and would not be without them.

To each his own on the looks...

I would rather be seen on a dreaded ugly bike- than not be seen at all. ;)

Also after doing a ride with another LD rider who had his helmet done, I realized the wisdom of that-

specifically if one was roadside OFF the bike.

To each his own on the looks...

I would rather be seen on a dreaded ugly bike- than not be seen at all. ;)

Also after doing a ride with another LD rider who had his helmet done, I realized the wisdom of that-

specifically if one was roadside OFF the bike.
Agreed on the looks thing. I'm trying to strike a balance. :)

As for the helmet, I picked up some reflective tape a few weeks ago intending to be creative with my helmet. Haven't done it yet but I'll get around to it.

Hack...My saddlebags got some scratch on both sides. Perhaps I could use reflector to cover it up and at the same time being more visible to others. A win-win.

I have an elderly uncle who I don't see but 1x per year or so. When I do see him I say 'Hi Bob, great to see yah'. His reply is always... at my age its great to be seen. :lol:

Anyway- I am big on "being seen too". I use Hyperlites, reflective tape and a high vis helmet.

Cheers