Holeshot Header and exhaust reviews?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg 03

Reaction score
Tried using the search function but didn't get results. Has anyone used the holeshot system and their TFI tuning box? I bought some Bandit items from Mr. Walker and he is one great dude to deal with. (My bandit is the show model for the Holeshot Corbin on his website.) I just want to get the best tools for my cash so looking for plusses and minuses on his system.

FULL SYSTEM....i have the full system on my 2005 fjr, comparing to a 2005 fjr with a slip on and stock header...i find that down low, under 3 grand there a little loss in low end torque...above 4k there is a clean nice pull, also takes off about 20lbs getting rid of the heavy stock header. sound and looks are subjective...i bought the bike with the full system, but for me the sound at idle to 2.5k is a little garbled and that is the typical sound of holeshots pipes with big bore bikes, i personal dislike the sound since it always sounds mistuned. finish on the header is quite nice... the can are nice but not as nice as the header...fitment, i see one issue on mine and have seen it on others, they don't have spacers in the kit to push out the drivers side can and it hits the axle nut....DUMB! The round cans are ok but seem so 80's and 90's, like old kerkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a "full" system. What i tried was a set of holeshot headers with the stock cans. I have a PCIII running a custom map alrerady, so the O2 sensor in my stock header was going unused anyway.

I was looking for the headers to do a few things for me: Reduce heat from the cats in the heat of summer, shave a few pounds, improve horsepower a little, look a little better than the stock welded cat boxes.

What I found was that the loss in torque at below 4k rpm, which is due to the larger diameter head pipes, is appreciable. The increase in horsepower allowed by the missing cats,a nd thos same bigger pipes is not particularly appreciable. It's there, but pretty subtle IMO. The reduction in heat was also tough to feel, but to be honest I didn't keep them on long enough to test them in the dog days of August. And the pipes did look a lot neater than the stock exhaust mess, but who looks under your bike anyway?

Forgot to mention, the difference in weight is only about 2 lbs. You will save more weight if you use the (louder) aftermarket cans. I prefer the stealthy sound (or lack thereof).

After a few moths in that configuration I decided that I missed the low end torque too much to keep them, so removed and sold them off for a bit less than I paid (also used). It was an interesting experiment, but just wasn't a good fit for my riding style.

Here's my prior thread detailing my experience, complete w/ pitchers!

YMMV

Thanks guys, still considering it but may have to see if anybody else makes a full kit instead.

I have a pair of holeshot cans with decatted Gen 1 header and a PC III.

If there is a loss of torque anywhere, I can't feel it.

The sound is music to my ears, not overly loud.

I suspect that (due to the 4 into 1 into 2) mine is a bit quieter than Dale's full system.

Between ebay and the classifieds here I have less than 600 clams in the above farkles.

I started with Dale's slip-on on my 01 Bandit and loved it.

When I got my 05 FJR, I waited 5k miles or so before I decided to install the full Holeshot system along with the PCIII running Dale's map. The main reason was for heat reduction by eliminating the cats (which I did notice) and weight loss, especially with the cans. Besides, I happen to love the sound of the Holeshots, nice growl during acceleration that calms down while cruising. On the Holeshot site, my bike is the blue 05 pics at French Meadow reservoir.

When I traded up to my current 09 FJR, I was on a blackout mission (as many have done) and the black Holeshot cans along with the header and a new PCV is where I went. I even had Dale powdercoat the muffler hangers black to eliminate the silver stripe around the cans. I haven't really noticed the low end torque loss, but then I don't race or ride much more sport-like than some mountain twisties, plenty of power for me at all rpms.

Count me in as a loyal Holeshot customer!

I have a pair of holeshot cans with decatted Gen 1 header and a PC III.

If there is a loss of torque anywhere, I can't feel it.

The sound is music to my ears, not overly loud.

I suspect that (due to the 4 into 1 into 2) mine is a bit quieter than Dale's full system.

Between ebay and the classifieds here I have less than 600 clams in the above farkles.
The loss of torque is caused by the larger diameter pipes in the header pipes.

If you just install the cans it will be louder, and you will get a small increase in HP due to the decreased back pressure, but you won't experience any of the reduced low end torque.

The only aftermarket headers that I am aware of for the FJR are the Holeshots or the Muzzy. The Holeshots are a discrete 4 into 2 system, and as already mentioned the pipes are of larger diameter.. The Muzzy is a 4 into 1, and I'm pretty sure they are larger diameter head pipes as well.. The stock header is a 4 into 2 into 1 into 2 with a crossover pipe between headers 2 and 3. There was a lot of thought put into that stock header design.

The Muzzy system also has a crossover pipe between 2 and 3. With the Muzzy I also noticed a low-end torque loss. It did provide a noticeable topend increase - like very easy throttle only 1st gear wheelies on a Gen1 with its short gearing. Muzzy no longer makes the header though unless they had a group buy interest.

I'd say overall I'd stay with the stock header, the roll-on power and feel from that TQ down low I more enjoy now that I am back to a bike with stock header and aftermarket pipes. I also had nice Holeshot stuff on my '97 B12 but there's been a good number of people report here that they are not happier with the Holeshot than the stock system.

I am using Leo Vince carbon fiber pipes and I hate to admit it but they're a lot nicer in every way than Holeshot pipes.

Greatbackangle.jpg

My 06 came with a full system on it so I can't comment on any loss of torque down low, but I don't feel like mine is lacking in that department. The PO did install a PC3 and had it mapped on a dyno also. The Holeshot system is actually 2 separate 2 into 1 sytems; there is no connection/crossover between cylinders 1/2 and 3/4. It kinda sounds more like a subaru wrx to me than an inline four. It's grown on me!

My 06 came with a full system on it so I can't comment on any loss of torque down low, but I don't feel like mine is lacking in that department. The PO did install a PC3 and had it mapped on a dyno also. The Holeshot system is actually 2 separate 2 into 1 sytems; there is no connection/crossover between cylinders 1/2 and 3/4. It kinda sounds more like a subaru wrx to me than an inline four. It's grown on me!
I'd love to take a look at your map file if you would be so inclined ;)

Latest posts