SW-FOG 2013 - Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phroenips

Pronounced "Free-nips"...it's just a
Reaction score

June 20-23, 2013 (CONFIRMED)

Salida, Colorado

www.sw-fog.com

Let's meet back in Salida! It's a little earlier this year so that we can hopefully have a little cooler weather.

Register on the website, call and make your reservations, and let's have fun!

P.S. I'm looking for a volunteer or two to lead some group rides. Here are some routes to choose from.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd, It won't let me properly capitalize "SW-FOG" in the title...it keeps making letters lowercase

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149020-cfr-2013-official-announcement/page-1 So sorry Scott, we Stanley Boys cannot make this one; first SW-FOG Seth and Don have missed in ten years. You picked the same weekend as the Canadian FJR Rally being held in Huntsville, Ontario; we are already booked and paid for that Rally.

As hilarious as HotRodZilla is I really hate missing a chance to see NumbNuts in action, but what is even more hysterical is how whacky those Hosers Nord du Ligne also act!

Why did you pick the same weekend as CFR and no I can't move the date since we have a contract with the resort and a bunch of folks have already made plans.

I was thinking about SW-FOG this year but obviously that won't happen now.

Why did you pick the same weekend as CFR and no I can't move the date since we have a contract with the resort and a bunch of folks have already made plans.

+1, Gunny; in the years Big-D and Papa Chuy hosted SW-FOG we always had a handful of Canuckistanis attend (and boy howdy, they are a damn handful!), with this CFR conflict there now will be NO Hosers at SW-FOG 2013. Just take a look at one of the Frostbacks you won't get to see:

MEScantilyHaHa.jpg

Because I'm a competitive SOB, and wanted to compete with CFR!

I really didn't expect this to be a problem given the geographical expanse between the two. Also, consider this is a regional rally...while we certainly welcome anyone and everyone, the primary audience is for those in the SW region.

I moved it from July to June for cooler weather, and 20-23 was the ideal weekend in June for Colorado...too early, and some passes (such as Independence Pass to Aspen) may still be closed, doesn't overlap with Father's Day, and for the working stiffs like myself, not too close to Independence Day so that we're not taking off too much time too close together.

Excellent! We're in. Looking forward to more "horsepower hill" adventures. And yes, June should be nice, cooler than last year.

See ya there!

Cool registration form!

Are we going to have a logo contest again this year? I still like the "Salida de Emergencia" one
thumbsupsmiley.png

Honestly, Colorado in July is not really hot. C and I are prolly in either way, but I've never been a fan of scheduling events on the same weekend. It's just kind of uncool...

I know its "regional" but EOM and SW-FOG conflicted a couple times and I had to choose. As a prime example, Don is "regionally" in our area but is riding to Canada.

I would suggest moving it to later in July since this just started and things prolly aren't set in stone yet...But you're running it, so you can stick with June if you want.

Either way I'll help out with whatever you need.

Once I tried to convince hosts of conflicting rallies to change and I was flamed for it. I remember one year that an FJR owner toured the country and attend all the FJR rallies.

Once I tried to convince hosts of conflicting rallies to change and I was flamed for it. I remember one year that an FJR owner toured the country and attended all the FJR rallies.
Mi Amigo Tomaso, you certainly won't see any flaming from me regarding this conflicting Rally dates issue! In regards to past EOM conflicts with SW-FOG, all of the former Rallymasters of SW-FOG going all the way back to Badcat Burk always tried to get a definite date from all of the other FJR Forum Rallies.

For whatever reason we could never get a confirmed date in a timely manner from the EOM organizers (however, we always did get timely responses back from the other FJR Rally Organizers), but it still bugged the Hell out of Burk, Dan and Myself that we were "stepping on" another Region's Rally!

https://www.bmwmoa.org/calendar/chartered_club_events If you want to see how to do it right, check out how the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America set up their Rally Events so a BMW Owner can tour North America and attend all of the BMW MOA Rallies. They require each Organizing Body to submit their dates a year ahead of time, to make sure they are not "stepping on" another State's Club Rally. Since Rallies have to occur when the weather is decent and you have 75+ American States, Canadian Provinces and Mexican States there will naturally be some conflicts that cannot be avoided.

If you look at page one of this list you will see that Alabama and Vermont are both having their respective State BMW MOA Rallies on the fourth weekend of April in 2013, simply cannot be helped with only 20 plus or minus good weather weekends in 2013 with so many American, Canadian and Mexican states to serve.

However, I fully agree "stepping on" the CFR 2013 date in Ontario, which was posted up six months ago, is as "uncool" as "uncool" can get! Es Verdad, ese!

Lots of fun ways for me to get to Salida in one long day or a nice day and a half. I was waiting to see if there was going to be a WFO in 2013, as I wouldn't do both.

WTF? I was hoping to try and make SW-Fog 1 of these years, but I guess this ain't gonna be the one!
ranting2.gif

While our rallies are "regional", I've always looked at that as the geographical region where the rally will be held, not whom it was for. Naturally you will predominantly get participants from the said region, but I've always believed that the primary audience for all rallies has been, is, and will continue to be ALL FJR Owners and everything should be done to maximize the potential attendance from FJR Owners continent wide. Highly disappointed!
ohwell.gif

I have no problem with a regional rally being whenever and wherever they want to hold it. I know that it is not desireable to conflict with other rally dates...but it isn't the be all end all either. There are some prime times of the year to ride certain portions of the US...and I don't believe that organizers need to be handcuffed by the fact that other rallies already had "dibbs" on said date.

If I was going to ride Colorado, I would ride it in mid to late June.

That being said, I won't be able to attend SW-FOG, but salute those doing the work.

I had to cancel out on my big western trip last year, and was shooting for SW-FOG this year to put some faces to names...... guess I won't make it either. No chance of making it the following weekend instead?

I have no problem with a regional rally being whenever and wherever they want to hold it. I know that it is not desireable to conflict with other rally dates...but it isn't the be all end all either. There are some prime times of the year to ride certain portions of the US...and I don't believe that organizers need to be handcuffed by the fact that other rallies already had "dibbs" on said date.

That being said, I won't be able to attend SW-FOG, but salute those doing the work.
Seeing as you appear to be unable to attend either of the conflicting rallies, it makes perfect sense that it doesn't bother you!
rolleyessmileyanim.gif

For the record, I commend Scott for taking on the role of SW-FOG RallyMaster and will support the decisions he has made, but that does not mean I cannot be disappointed! The way I read it, no one has called exclusive "dibbs" or stated rally dates "MUST not" conflict, but rather, as you stated, it "is not desirable"... particularly for those of us that planned, or wanted, to attend both.

Seeing as you appear to be unable to attend either of the conflicting rallies, it makes perfect sense that it doesn't bother you!
rolleyessmileyanim.gif

For the record, I commend Scott for taking on the role of SW-FOG RallyMaster and will support the decisions he has made, but that does not mean I cannot be disappointed! The way I read it, no one has called exclusive "dibbs" or stated rally dates "MUST not" conflict, but rather, as you stated, it "is not desirable"... particularly for those of us that planned, or wanted, to attend both.
I understand your disappointment. Invariably when somebody cannot make an event, there is disappointment. Even for the small informal gatherings that I have done in the past, people are disappointed because the meet was not moved to a different date.

I agree that FJR Gathering conflicts should be avoided if possible, but I don't think that should be "etched in stone" as one of the 10 Commandments.

Have a good time...all who can make it. GREAT location.
punk.gif

Ok, I hear the complaints.

As Wheaton said, there are prime times to ride certain parts of the country, and for Colorado, I believe that to be mid-late June and mid-late August. July can get hot...not as hot as other parts of the country, but the valleys can get fairly warm (especially San Luis valley, around the Great Sand Dunes, and the Gunnison Valley...we went to Black Canyon last year and it was incredibly hot. BwanaDik (the Texan) even thought so!)

My number 1 rule of group planning is no matter how hard you try, you will never please everyone. I've already given my reasoning for choosing the June 20-23 dates, and with school starting (seemingly) earlier and earlier each year, I know some schools (a lot in Colorado) start in early August now.

With that being said, I've added a poll to this thread for you to vote on which dates you would prefer. If you vote for a set of dates, and those dates are chosen, you will be expected to attend.