G2 throttle cam installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
Ok, yesterday I received my G2 throttle cam to fix the abrupt throttle tip in on my '06 FJR. Today, I'm home sick with a chest cold and will be seeing the doctor later... but I'm well enough to go outside IF the installation is simple. So, a few questions:

Does the bar end weight come off easily... by just removing the set screw?

Then, I pull the grip from the stock nylon throttle sleeve. Difficult? Do I have to use glue on the new or is the knurled surface of the G2 enough to keep the grip from slipping?

Now the big question that'll possibly make or break the installation today: Will I have to lift the tank to get slack in the cables to install the G2?

Ok, yesterday I received my G2 throttle cam to fix the abrupt throttle tip in on my '06 FJR. Today, I'm home sick with a chest cold and will be seeing the doctor later... but I'm well enough to go outside IF the installation is simple. So, a few questions:
Does the bar end weight come off easily... by just removing the set screw?

Then, I pull the grip from the stock nylon throttle sleeve. Difficult? Do I have to use glue on the new or is the knurled surface of the G2 enough to keep the grip from slipping?

Now the big question that'll possibly make or break the installation today: Will I have to lift the tank to get slack in the cables to install the G2?
1) Weight comes of easy, falls in your hand.

2) Yes, it's a bear to get off.

3) The new tube will hold the grip without glue.

4) I didn't have to produce any slack to get the grips on.

Side note: If you have the AE, note how the heated grip aligns with the original cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, RR... I now see there is some adjustment (slack) available right near the grip end of the throttle cables via an adjuster.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I just did this last night and it was NO problem. Bar weight is a no brainer, just falls off when you unscrew. I used a long allen wrench shoved between the grip and the old tube and jimmy'd it around. I couldn't get it all the way in so I took some rubbing alcohol and dribbled some of that in the space created by the allen wrench and it went much easier. Grip slipped right off. The housing that covers the cam has a little tab that fits into a hole in the bar so make sure you get that back in right. That aligns the housing so there was no slack adjustment for me. Easy off, easy on.

John

Agreed, Slowdude... piece of cake to install. I did exactly as you, except I used WD-40 instead of alcohol. Before reinstalling the grip using WD-40, clean the inside with something. I used throttle body cleaner, but make sure what you use is safe for the grip rubber.

The details are in this thread here. The '06s have an 'improved' concentric throttle pull. FredShims fixes the problem at the throttle pulley on the throttle shaft. The G2Ergos fix the issue at the throttle grip.

It is about changing the throttle pull ratio by altering the throttle cable rate of rotation. Standard grips slip over the new throttle sleeve.

lefttcsimage4t01.jpg

cam100y.jpg
cam200y.jpg
cam400y.jpg

See G2Ergo web site for more info.

It is about changing the throttle pull ratio by altering the throttle cable rate as the grip is rotated... might be a bit clearer.

For the '06 I HIGHLY recommend them.

can the original fjr cam be cut down to have the same shape as the g2 and give same results?? save a few $$$

I think it would work, a small file should do it just fine. I installed a G2 on my 06 tonite and thought the OEM tube looked like it would be easy to reshape.

If it doesnt work you could always go G2, it works nice. You will also be supporting one of the most customer focused inventors to ever redesign a motorcycle part, Sam at G2 is terrific.

I believe dcarver mentioned this, but could one just purchase on 05 setup and put on the 06? Could save some denero. PM. <>< ;)

I'm not an '06 owner, but what are results of this? :unsure:
I installed the G2 today and it was about a 30 minute job after gettting the heated grip tab in the proper place on the G2 throttle tube. On my install I have your CC Audiovox mount which I had to remove the top section. The new shape of the cam does make the application of the throttle from full idle to AE clutch engagement less abrupt. IMHO it is a good change for the AE which I believe requires a very deft application of throttle in tight U turns or when starting with the bars locked either left or right.

>>'m also interested in a how did this work out for ya... can you post some before/after details?<<

Oh, I guess I missed that Q.

The change is very positive from my limited experience. Basically, what the G2 does is move and elongate the rapid input of throttle to a location further up the range of grip movement. IMHO, it is a disaster waiting to happen to dump in as much trottle as the stock setup does right off idle.

>>'m also interested in a how did this work out for ya... can you post some before/after details?<<
Oh, I guess I missed that Q.

The change is very positive from my limited experience. Basically, what the G2 does is move and elongate the rapid input of throttle to a location further up the range of grip movement. IMHO, it is a disaster waiting to happen to dump in as much trottle as the stock setup does right off idle.
I agree. The thing is cheap magic, works better than described. I could tell a huge difference immediately. Well worth the coin.