Cross Canada Motorcycle Trip, Vancouver to St. John's, Nfld.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dana, that was great!

Who did you use for shipping the bikes back, and roughly what did it cost?

Al
cold.gif

Nice slideshow. You needed a few more days in Newfoundland! Beautiful place to ride - I have been there four times by motorcycle. I would recommend Bonavista, Burin Peninsula, Avalon Peninsula (Irish Loop), Twillingate/Fogo and continuing through Gros Morne up to the top of the Northern Peninsula. Lots of places to stop, scenic coastal excursions and great people to meet.

I have done the cross-Canada trip; returned via the northern USA covering many of the roads you took. I hope to do it again soon and spend more than a couple of days in BC the next time. I'm sure I could spend a month in British Columbia but work and finances won't permit! I lived in south-central BC (Castlegar) for a couple of years but it was before I started riding.

Unless very limited for time, I wouldn't ship the bike one way. Too much to see taking an alternate route back.

Thanks Dana, that was great!Who did you use for shipping the bikes back, and roughly what did it cost?

Al
cold.gif
Hi Al. We used JC Motors who you can find at motorcycleshippers.com. They're a US outfit although the actual moving companies were Canadian subcontractors. The move cost US$951 all in. We thought this was a bit on the expensive side but the service was excellent. The bikes arrived in Abbottsford a week after we dropped them off at the depot in Dartmouth and there was no damage whatsoever.

Nice slideshow. You needed a few more days in Newfoundland! Beautiful place to ride - I have been there four times by motorcycle. I would recommend Bonavista, Burin Peninsula, Avalon Peninsula (Irish Loop), Twillingate/Fogo and continuing through Gros Morne up to the top of the Northern Peninsula. Lots of places to stop, scenic coastal excursions and great people to meet.
I have done the cross-Canada trip; returned via the northern USA covering many of the roads you took. I hope to do it again soon and spend more than a couple of days in BC the next time. I'm sure I could spend a month in British Columbia but work and finances won't permit! I lived in south-central BC (Castlegar) for a couple of years but it was before I started riding.

Unless very limited for time, I wouldn't ship the bike one way. Too much to see taking an alternate route back.
You're right, Ross - we would have liked more time in Newfoundland but we only had so much to spread around. Be sure to look us up next time you're out on the left coast!

Thanks for the slideshow Dana. Quite a trip...perhaps one of these days for me.
--G
Hey George. It's a long way to go but the other coast has a distinctly different flavour, well worth it if you can make the time.

I'll probably see you at the next tech meet at Bryan's place. Ride safe.

In 2010 a friend and I rode across Canada west to east including all 10 provinces! We returned by going south to Tennessee via the Blueridge Parkway to as far as the Dragon. Then we zig zagged up and down the US till reaching southern California. From there it was pretty much up the coast with a few exceptions, Skyline drive from Los Gatos to Frisco. North of Frisco we headed out to to the coast on 20 to Fort Bragg and then back to 101. After having been shown 36 a couple of years ago by who else but Richard (Fairlainer) my friend and I did that to get back onto I5 home. We left home Aug 8/10 and arrived home Oct 8/10. I meant to do a ride report but! In all 25,500kms but still not enough time to see and do it all?

What are the chances of posting this video on You Tube so we all can download and show it to our friends on our big screen TVs?

Slardy

What are the chances of posting this video on You Tube so we all can download and show it to our friends on our big screen TVs?
Slardy
I tried doing this initially but I ran into all kinds of grief because of the length and size of the file so then I resorted to posting it on Vimeo. The only easy way I can think of to watch it on your TV is to run the video on your computer and hook it up to the TV.

If you're making a slide show, are you just dropping in the photos and stretching them inside the slide show app? Or... are you doing that, checking to see the actual H/W (in pixels) of the final sizes you want, taking the original photo files and resizing them to the final size you need and dropping those (smaller) files into the slide show? That last way will make the slide show load faster and the total slide show file size smaller. Also change the DPI to 72dpi as that's plenty for web-side shows (again a way to make the final slide show smaller for sharing, loading, and backing up).

IE: An untouched photo from a modern camera phone can often be 4Megs each. Meanwhile a resized and compressed JPG of the same photo can often be under 20K. FYI 1 Meg = 1024K so that's a HUGE savings.

(Trust me... a little work up front will make a MUCH better final product.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're making a slide show, are you just dropping in the photos and stretching them inside the slide show app? Or... are you doing that, checking to see the actual H/W (in pixels) of the final sizes you want, taking the original photo files and resizing them to the final size you need and dropping those (smaller) files into the slide show? That last way will make the slide show load faster and the total slide show file size smaller. Also change the DPI to 72dpi as that's plenty for web-side shows (again a way to make the final slide show smaller for sharing, loading, and backing up).
IE: An untouched photo from a modern camera phone can often be 4Megs each. Meanwhile a resized and compressed JPG of the same photo can often be under 20K. FYI 1 Meg = 1024K so that's a HUGE savings.

(Trust me... a little work up front will make a MUCH better final product.)
This was my first time working through ProShow Gold. Next time I'll be a little smarter about it.

Great video, glad that you enjoyed the Maritimes.

At 12:21 (Eric's place) looks like a Steffes ETS room unit heater in there. We would have done that install.

"maybe we should consider CFR 2014 on de Rock, eh?"

That sounds like a great idea. I would definetly be up for that. So many great places to see.

Canadian FJR

"maybe we should consider CFR 2014 on de Rock, eh?"
That sounds like a great idea. I would definetly be up for that. So many great places to see.

Canadian FJR
Ok, so that makes two of us, and I'm pretty sure we can convince a few more ... meet ya in Pictou for a loop of the Trail before hitting the ferry in Sydney?

(with apologies for the thread hijack...)

Griff

For those of you interested, you can download this video for display on your Home Theater. I used YTD Video Downloader. I use it for You Tubes all the time and was surprised to see that it worked with Vimeo.

Oh, and one more thing. Great trip and beautiful production, Guys. I'm envious
smile.png

Slardy