Looking for a "GREAT" family law attorney in Orange County

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaharaJp99

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately as it says, I am turning to my FJR friends for advise. I am looking for a GREAT family law attorney in Orange County that specializes in interstate custody arrangements. I live in Colorado, have for a long time, and have an ex-girlfriend that moved to Colorado, and then moved back to California, and well, it's a very long, unfair story. What I am looking for is first hand knowledge of a great family law attorney that will help me get custody of my son. I have gone the top rated internet/most expensive route, and in the first round of courts, didn't get me anywhere, he seemed more interested in getting my money and protecting the mother's rights than he did fighting for mine. I have a laundry list of things his Mother has done, that in my mind, should have some bearing on custody, he is the most important thing in my life. I would be more than willing to discuss my situation privately if you have doubts of my intentions, but I want what is best for my son. If you have first hand knowledge of a great father's rights lawyer, please post up! It would be very much appreciated, and if you could PM me with credentials that would be even better. I am struggling to tread water here, as being away from my son is the hardest thing I have ever done.

Thanks, Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you with an attorney but I can offer unsolicited help. If you are trying to make a case that you deserve custody of a child you should get your personal life and online life in order so you can have the appearance of an outstanding citizen.

Look at this looser --

Lawyer.jpg

and compare it to your avatar. In the (sometimes unfair) eyes of the public, who would they be more likely to turn a kid over to? Ya, probably give the kid to the good time guy with the gun. Read any news from CT recently? This isn't about guns, it's about personal references and credibility. A lawyer or attorney alone can't help you until you help yourself too.

I concur with the above. If you get into this it'll get ugly, unfair, and twisted pretty quickly so you better make sure you minimize any ammo they can use against you. And while I think your avatar is funny, when presented by a slime-ball, blood-sucking, scumbag 'family' law attorney (I may have gone through a divorce if you couldn't tell) he'll make it look like you're a wack-job.

Sorry to hear about your predicament and that I can't be more help. Been-there-done-that and certainly wouldn't recommend anyone I was in contact with.

Thank you for the advise and i will consider it. I have no concerns about proving to be an outstanding citizen nor personal references and credibility, and I don't believe at this point that a silly Internet forum avatar is going to prove otherwise.

Here's this loser and his son:

DSC04971_zps98ed4b2c.jpg

Ok. Since we have now established that you aren't interested in the advice of the people you asked advice from, we can move back to FJR stuff.

I understand what the point was, and like I said above, I appreciate the advise, and it is gone.
I can offer you an alternative avatar:

SAvatarSM_zps87175896.jpg
+1, Gunny; I am with Alan, go with that loving picture of You and Your Son as your avatar! That is a great family photograph, it really is!

I really feel for you SaharaJp99, a dozen years ago I fought tooth and nail for Primary Residential Custody of My Son Seth and I won. But this was in Arizona, where the playing field is fair; in California the Divorce Courts are totally stacked in favor of the females, I went through a CA divorce in 1990 that totally cleaned me out but luckily the marriage had no children!

This may sound crazy, but I went through a divorce/custody battle. I got raked over coals in the courtroom with an attorney. After the

final hearing I was taken back to court repeatedly. Out of desperation (41k$ in attorney fees) I started representing myself. I was scared

to death to try it, but it worked... repeatedly! The experience you had is quite common. Here are my lessons learned:

*Nobody cares more about your case than YOU

*YOU are cheap

*Resources are available online and at self help centers

*Free legal classes are held at the courthouse all the time

My "Ex" thought attorneys won cases- sometimes truth prevails!

She went through 4 attorneys, firing them when they lost (and lose they did)

It was not due to my courtroom wit- It was because I cared MORE and was telling the truth, and learned how to prove it.

In one of the last trials, I even found a precedence where one could impute attorney fees based on their wages to the other party at overtime rate (Sweet)

The info is out there- IF it is important enough... Take the time. It is frightening at first (wear some depends) but IF YOU care... Do it.

And Alan is right. Unfortunately image is king. You will find attorneys wearing judges favorite colors, avoiding certain phases ... Play the game

Info on judges is also available, along with case info on opposing attorneys
smile.png

This may sound crazy, but I went through a divorce/custody battle. I got raked over coals in the courtroom with an attorney. After thefinal hearing I was taken back to court repeatedly. Out of desperation (41k$ in attorney fees) I started representing myself. I was scared

to death to try it, but it worked... repeatedly! The experience you had is quite common. Here are my lessons learned:

*YOU are cheap

It was not due to my courtroom wit- It was because I cared MORE and was telling the truth, and learned how to prove it.

In one of the last trials, I even found a precedence where one could impute attorney fees based on their wages to the other party at overtime rate (Sweet)

The info is out there- IF it is important enough... Take the time. It is frightening at first (wear some depends) but IF YOU care... Do it.

And Alan is right. Unfortunately image is king. You will find attorneys wearing judges favorite colors, avoiding certain phases ... Play the game

Info on judges is also available, along with case info on opposing attorneys
smile.png
Brother Josh, Tony is giving you great advice! I did my second divorce on my own, using an Arizona Divorce Guide book purchased from Amazon.com!

https://www.amazon.com/Divorce-Handbook-California-Dissolve-Marriage/dp/1886230528 I see that Amazon also has a book that covers California laws!

Thanks guys.

Don,

Yes, California is not the easiest state for this! I just felt completely let down by my first lawyer, he didn't follow through on a single action he said we should take during the consultation, and it is extremely hard to interview lawyers from 1,000 miles away so I was looking for some local insight to get a starting point.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Don, Yes, California is not the easiest state for this! I just felt completely let down by my first lawyer, he didn't follow through on a single action he said we should take during the consultation, and it is extremely hard to interview lawyers from 1,000 miles away so I was looking for some local insight to get a starting point. Thanks!
If you can name OC Presiding Judge, perhaps California FJR Forum Members living in Orange County can do some research for you!

Here are two Orange County FJR Forum Members that I know of: FJRBluesman and SilverPenguin. Perhaps send PM's to them also.

This may sound crazy, but I went through a divorce/custody battle. I got raked over coals in the courtroom with an attorney. After thefinal hearing I was taken back to court repeatedly. Out of desperation (41k$ in attorney fees) I started representing myself. I was scared

*YOU are cheap

Info on judges is also available, along with case info on opposing attorneys :)
This is great advise and something I have deeply considered after watching how little interest my last lawyer had in fighting for my rights. You just don't hear many success stories in representing yourself, but you two are an inspiration and this may be the route I go unless I find an attorney that truely has goals for my case that coincide with mine(doubtful, I know).

Josh, You think Florida is easy? Palm Beach County?

I faced some of the dirtiest lawyers we have. The judges also know which ones are dirty. The judges are bound by LAW, but I sensed a certain delight

from the judge when the attorneys got caught up in lies. You know the degree of harshness on imposing sanctions is determined by the vulnerability of

the opposing party. Pro Se (One who represents himself) is about as vulnerable as one could get. The judge agreed!
smile.png

Josh, I wish I could be of assistance but I am not even close to So Cal. However I can say that after meeting and riding with you at FODS last spring I was impressed with with what a good guy you are.

Nothing is easy with your situation but hang in there! Wishing you all the best, Doug

Latest posts