Auxiliary lights MondoMoto MM10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
I am sure that I am over thinking this but I thought I would ask for some input.

I have my new MondoMotos LEDs (MM10 Bullets). My plan is to mount these on the forks. I know that you get more coverage the higher they are mounted. At this point I want the visibility gain. Not concerned with more light. The fork mount is also a cosmetic - I like the way they look mounted there.

The lights came U brackets that will allow me to use the front fender screw as the mount point. Other mounts I have seen move the lights a little further from the bike. Is there a reason for this placement?

I am also using the Skene Design IQ-170 to control the lights - no aux switch planned. The IQ-170 allows you to set the brightness level in 10% increments. After aiming if I get a lot of cages flashing lights I will back them down a notch or two.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

I'll bite. Yes you are over thinking the Led placement on the forks. I don't recall any

conclusive reports that indicate dim wit cagers notice lights that are 2 inches further apart

than where you have them. Congrats on making yourself more conspicuous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post pics of the installation!! those look like nice add ons at a reasonable cost.

I certainly will. I am waiting for a couple of items to arrive and then find some time. This time of the year in Texas is some prime riding time so I don't want to let it get away.

I have Clearwater "Glenda" LEDs mounted low that look functionally pretty similar. The fender mount bolts are an excellent mounting location for them. They also work on the reflector mounts, but I think interfere with the reflector. No point in sacrificing any of your conspicuity. As to where you mount them, and the wider bracket option, if your bike should happen to go over, it's the parts that stick out the farthest that are going to touch down first.

They look like they'd do the job. This is from Neihart's link. I'm guessing the fender mount would be a little higher and tighter in.

Concoursmm10-500x500.jpg

Mine. Big "Krista" LEDs up top, "Glendas" below. Unlike you, I WAS concerned with more light. :) Don't try to compare the light output from these pictures. Photos never give an accurate story on that, IMO.

IMG_0481.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"At this point I want the visibility gain. Not concerned with more light."

Nice lights. 10 watt crees will certainly throw enough light @ 100% to produce appreciated extra visibility when needed. The 25 deg. beam spread will make for nice shoulder illumination lights when aimed right. I don't see the need to mount them out wider either. Ditto on posting pics.
smile.png

Ok - finally got off my lazy butt and did some work today. It was particularly painful because today was a banner riding day. I decided to trade it for future days and quit procrastinating on my light, fuse block and other electronic farkling. This popped my electronic farkle cherry and I would like to thank all of you guys that actually post on here. I learned a ton. I took more tupperware off than ever before and now I know my bike a whole lot better.

Todays project was complete the Eastern Beaver PC-8 Install and then wire up the new MondoMoto lights. Here are the photos. By the way the first photo post by me as well. Its a cherry popping bonanza.

The lights are from MondoMotos https://mondomotos.com/

The controller I used is from Skene Design https://www.skenedesign.com/lights/IQ_170.shtml

The IQ-170 is wired for the lights to come on with the low beams (their intensity is programmable if I get too many cages flashing I can turn them down in 10% increments). When you throw the high beams on the lights are on full blast. There is an option to install a switch as well and you can program intensity settings to it as well. I did not install that option yet. I ordered the "A" option which provides a flashing sequence to draw attention to yourself. You just hit your high beam twice in one second - haven't played with that yet. I am thrilled with the appearance of the lights and the quality of the build. They came with some brackets and I just used the fender mounts.

DSCN1275_zps94c11c1b.jpg

DSCN1274_zps4fce7f09.jpg

DSCN1273_zps7aa24bb4.jpg

DSCN1272_zpse2d398b0.jpg

DSCN1271_zps2b1455f4.jpg

DSCN1270_zps50eca718.jpg

Sorry about the image sizes and I neglected to label them. The bottom photo show low beams and default program for the controller. The one just above shows high beams and 100% output on the lights. On the full side photo you can see my mismatched smuggler - I personally think the Cerulean Silver looks nice with the 06/12 blue.

Cool! Lights look good. Thnx for the pic's. Like the silver smuggler as well
smile.png

Have you had a chance to use these at night? While being more visible to cages is important to me, I definitely would like to enhance night time illumination to help spot the ever present bambis here. Definitely like the Skene controller. Did you buy the MM10's as lights only or with the switch and harness? Nice looking install, thanks for the pics.

I bought the switch and harness. The Skene controller popped up on the radar screen after the lights were on their way. I used parts of the harness - it had plugs for the lights and it was long enough to reach under the seat. I chopped off the relay and I didn't use the switch. I had to extend the wires a bit to reach my under the pillion fuse block. Right now I have the low beams programmed at 20% power. There is definitely more light right down in front of the bike - to be expected from the low fork mounts. When the brights go on and those Crees are at 100% it is very impressive. All in all I am one happy guy. It didn't hurt that I went on a paper run on Sunday morning and stopped by the donut shop to pick up a treat. Some guys that ride meet there every Sunday. I got to show off my new lights.

Thanks for the pics and installation details. I have a set on order. I will wire them with their harness and switch.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the info. I think you may have sold a few sets of these lights. I especially like the "optical horn" feature of the controller. Great for that left turner who's looking at the phone.

I also appreciate this whole thread. These MondoMoto LEDs have moved to the top of my short list of LED driving lights. This will be the very next mod I do to both mine and Dad's bikes.

I am giving this thread a bump because I FINALLY ordered a set of these for Dad's FJR last night. This morning, to my surprise and delight, I got an e-mail from Mondo Moto and Paypal. It seems that the price has dropped by $20 on these lights but they have not updated the website. This means that I paid $126 before shipping for the lights, brackets, switch, relay, and wiring harness. That is pretty hard to beat.

I will report again when it all comes in and I get it installed.