GPS Mounting Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
So I'll be getting one soon enough, probably a Garmin something or another. I know of two locations thus far, the unused mirror mount on the clutch reservoir and the large nut on the triple clamp. I'm thinking the triple clamp would be best, as there would be less movement, and it would seem less obtrusive. However, maybe I'm missing something or unaware of pluses for the mirror mount. Also, are there better places to mount it, than the two I mentioned? What are you using for the GPS setup? Thanks guys!

Well, you know you will be playing with it while riding, so the clutch reservoir would be more in line with the direction you SHOULD be watching.
happysmiley.gif

Zumo 550, can't seem to post a PB pic today.
nea.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a Rambone mount from Dave at WynPro via the forum that mounts via the two forward gas tank bolts. Looks pretty good too and would def recommend for quality and service. 40 bucks shipped can't be bad.

Well I've chosen the stem mount on a RAM holding my Garmin 1490 LMT. I did chose this location, because I don't want a distraction in my line of sight, and since my Armin talks to me minimizes the look away from traffic matter.

You could also get a dash shelf and position it center.

On a side note, the OEM power plug from Garmin is huge, so you either want to look for a permanent cable or find yourself a small connector which then fits the little fairing AUX compartment.

V

RPK

Steering stem nut with Ram mounts. I also have a Heli triple clamp that provides two extra Ram ball positions...room for more stuff that I'll ever need.

--G

I have a Ram Ball in the hole right there on the clutch lever that I use to use for mounting a GPS. I also have a Ram Ball in one of the two holes in my Heli triple clamp. I can mount either position, I think I prefer the ball down on the triple clamp for the gps because it's down farther behind the windshield. Either way works fine.

Just got a Rambone mount from Dave at WynPro via the forum that mounts via the two forward gas tank bolts. Looks pretty good too and would def recommend for quality and service. 40 bucks shipped can't be bad.
+1

Avoid the (stem)nuts, go straight for the bone. At least, that's what momma said...

I use a RAM mount with the offset ball (rather than the centered ball) on the clutch reservoir with a 3 inch RAM Socket Arm. The empty mirror mount screw hole would probably be just as good a location. I prefer this location over the triple mount position because I don't have to tilt my head down to look at it, it's closer to my line of sight of the traffic ahead without blocking the instrument panel, It's closer to reach when using the touch screen, a tall tank bag won't block the sight of it, it's easier to read for my ancient eyesight and the angle is better for fighting sun glare with the help of the Glare Stomper shield. https://glarestomper.com/

This picture shows it before I changed the Socket Arm from the 1.75 inch to a 3 inch.

IMAG0357.jpg

I have mine mounted with a Ram handlebar clamp on the right handlebar. I agree with the other comments about line of sight. I don't have to look down too far and it doesn't obstruct any of the dashboard indications. You would have to go with the resevoir mounts or the unused mirror mount on the left side as I noticed that with the changes to the 2013 model there is no handlebar exposed to allow what I am using now.

I have mine mounted with a Ram handlebar clamp on the right handlebar. I agree with the other comments about line of sight. I don't have to look down too far and it doesn't obstruct any of the dashboard indications. You would have to go with the resevoir mounts or the unused mirror mount on the left side as I noticed that with the changes to the 2013 model there is no handlebar exposed to allow what I am using now.
+1

I have mine on the mirror mount with a short stem ram. I use the gps for speedo too because it's more in my line of site.

On my dual sport I have to look down to see both the speedo and the gps. Bad things happen fast when you don't watch the path in front of you!

I use a stem nut-mounted RAM ball and 4" RAM arm to an Aqua Box that holds a Nuvi 1390T (can't afford those fancy shmancy Zumo things, lol). The setup has worked very well for a few years now and is perfectly positioned for me...it's easy to see while staying out of the way of the instruments and my line of sight down the road. There is no vibration issue mounted there either.

I just bought the techmount stem nut mount and plan on an aquabox and Garmin 2595LMT. I run a relatively small tankbag and don't forsee any problems, but I haven't actually used it yet so time will tell. I chose this route because I feel it's a cleaner look. Nothing against anyone else's setups, I just preferred this appearance. I also like the idea that if I want to take it off for any reason, very few people would even notice the hole drilled in the stem nut.