AZ Hwy 89 Pavement Buckle - South of Page, AZ Closed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Holy smokes!! Sure lucky that no one was on the road at the time!!!
weirdsmiley.gif

Article here.

In the early morning hours of Feb. 20, an apparent landslide ripped through a section of US 89 along a mountain slope about 25 miles south of Page, buckling more than 150 feet of the roadway and tearing the pavement up in six-foot-high sections.
The significant roadway damage forced the Arizona Department of Transportation to immediately close a 23-mile-long stretch of the highway (at mileposts 523-546) between the US 89A junction near Bitter Springs to the State Route 98 junction near Page.

US 89 will be closed for the immediate future as geotechnical experts and ADOT's engineers examine the mountain slope and roadbed to determine the exact cause of the damage, and what steps are required to reconstruct the roadway and get it back into shape for travelers. There is no timetable for reopening the highway; however, ADOT is working to rebuild the highway as soon as safely possible.

Detours are in place for motorists traveling to and from Page and southern Utah. These routes are US 160 and SR 98 directly to and from Page, and US 89A and US 89 through Kanab, Utah.

Feck!!

I was gonna go through Page as a sidetrip from the North Rim on the way to SW Colorado. No side trip.

Thanks for posting up.

The road appears to have moved? Oh yeah, put that guy incharge. Scary stuff for sure.
Yeah watch the video and the Engineer says, "The earth appears to have moved. " Oh really? What was your first clue Sherlock? With this guy in charge the repairs may take just a bit longer.

Good post and thanks!

No problem for my KLR.

That's a great road for views but it's going to make a long detour. Guess I'll have to scratch that off this weekends ride list.

No problem for my KLR.
That's a great road for views but it's going to make a long detour. Guess I'll have to scratch that off this weekends ride list.
I am very sorry about this Bug, I was doing a burnout with "Gisele" my BMW K1600GT and that old asphalt could just not take that much horsepower! MY BAD! Excuse Me!!!

No problem for my KLR.
I am very sorry about this Bug, I was doing a burnout with "Gisele" my BMW K1600GT and that old asphalt could just not take that much horsepower! MY BAD! Excuse Me!!!
I could understand the pavement buckling under your bike there Don :D ...but the burnout I don't believe...post the video or it didn't happen!
punk.gif

No problem for my KLR.
I could understand the pavement buckling under your bike there Don
biggrin.png
...but the burnout I don't believe...post the video or it didn't happen!
punk.gif

No problem for my KLR.
biggrin.png
punk.gif

Hey Don...that guy looks a little to spry to be a Stanley JSNS!

No problem for my KLR.

biggrin.png
punk.gif

Luckily for me Marky-Mark, adding 3 orders of Filiberto's Number 5 combos to my daily diet allowed me to overcome my severe anorexia and bulimia problem!

Tamale-Plate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem for my KLR.

biggrin.png
punk.gif

Well, atleast there are no carbs in that...

but this thread is about a road buckle...not your belt buckle Don. (impressive as that is!) :D

Harumph!

A stock 79 KZ1300 does better burn outs and wheelies than seen in that video!

Has more pulling power too!

1300ron.jpg

Don't know how to load video but here -

(well, maybe I DO)

KZ1300 wheeling over buckled road!

Any word on repairs for this and when they might be completed or a temp road through the slide available ????

Many thanks

Longrider

Thanks Mark for the web site.

I live in AZ and had no idea that they would take so long to fix this.

This is a major route.