Which is the correct height of a Laminar Lip above the Windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
Could you please someone tell me from your experience which is the correct height of a Laminar Lip above the stock windshield?

In the Same level?One inch?One and half?Two inches?I am 5.6 tall..Could you tell me also if you know in general,as it goes higher above the upper end of the windshield the air will be less on me?Or vice versa..?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have really enjoyed my Laminar Lip. I think 1.5 - 2.0 inches is about right. The Laminar Lip instructions discuss this and, IIRC, suggest you try it with masking tape before affixing it permanently.

Im 6'0 tall and I run mine 2" above the stock windscreen. Since you are 5'6" you would probably be ok level with the stock screen. I "installed" mine with duct tape in a couple differnt locations before I mounted it with the 3M dots(which you can buy at wal-mart). One of my favorite farkles.
smile.png

BTW - the duct tape is only good for 55mph
weirdsmiley.gif

Per the instructions that came with my Laminar Lip, do not install more than half the height of the lip to the windscreen. My own installation was 2" above the windscreen, I hope this helps.

FWFE

Hi Mihalis.

I am the same height as you. I am on my 4th motorcycle with a 'lip'. I have installed them all 1" above the screen. My current shield is a Cee-Bailey reverse contour with a lip for a Suzuki Bergman (Laminar's idea), works great.

Al.

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful replies!!
smile.png

I will try to installing it starting from 1'' above..
rolleyes.gif

It is actually not so important how much the lip is over the windshield, it's purpose is not to increase the height but to direct and shape the air moving over. So pretty much the shape of the lip will do the job and wether it is 1 or 2 " above makes no big difference IMHO.

It is actually not so important how much the lip is over the windshield, it's purpose is not to increase the height but to direct and shape the air moving over. So pretty much the shape of the lip will do the job and wether it is 1 or 2 " above makes no big difference IMHO.
This is pretty much the correct answer. The Lip is an airfoil, like an upside down wing. What is important is the gap between the Lip and windshield at the center. This gap will be directly proportional to how effective the Lip speeds up the air flow and thereby how high up it pushes the still and quiet bubble behind the windshield. The Lip isn't about a little flip at the top edge, it is about the curve on the bottom side that increases wind speed like an airplane wing.

The Laminar install guide for the FJR suggests 3/4" to 2" for the gap between the windshield and the Lip at the center. I set my Lip gap around 1" as a starting guess and have found no reason to change it. I also have the top of the Lip about 1" over the top of the windshield. With my ahamaY windshield all the way up and the Lip 1" over the top I can still see over the upper edge. It would bug the heck out of me if I had to look through the Lip. Someday I may drop the Lip down so the upper edge is even with the top of my ahamaY windshield.

IMO, the Laminar Lip has a about a 1:1 ratio of ugly vs functionality, it's just about as functional as it is ugly
laugh.png

I installed the Lip at 1.5'' above the upper edge of the windshield by accidentally..I would like to install it at 1'' but i don't want to pull the stickers and reinstall them again..Also my Lip gap is at 1.5''.I did make a very short trip and i noticed..This thing works really Great for me!!
yahoo.gif
exactly the same improvement has noticed and my gf behind of me! What an improvement..!!
clapping.gif
What i have lost all these previous years without the Lip.
fool.gif

When i will receive a set of Dual Locks from the Laminar Lip i will try it at 1'' to see if i will noticed some differences..

''ionbeam'' if you will drop your Lip down let us know your impressions..
smile.png

Anyway..Many thanks again to all of you for the info!
smile.png

I installed my Lip 3" above the top edge of the Yamaha stock screen. I'm pretty tall and I wanted the Lip to deflect the air up and over my helmet. It works very well and I haven't had any problems with it. Money well spent.

The only not very good thing that i have noticed is that the shape of the Lip doesn't alignment well with the shape of the windshield and the adhesive of the 3M Dual locks it overstressed a bit..

The only not very good thing that i have noticed is that the shape of the Lip doesn't alignment well with the shape of the windshield and the adhesive of the 3M Dual locks it overstressed a bit..
This was the problem with my Cee-Bailey. I contacted Laminar who told me to order the one for the Burgman scooter - fits perfectly!

Al.

This was the problem with my Cee-Bailey. I contacted Laminar who told me to order the one for the Burgman scooter - fits perfectly!

Al.
kamal,I saw this picture of your bike with the Laminar, i don't remember where..It is really nice!!
good.gif

Al.
I also have a CB flip and would like to try a lip.

They offer several for the Burgman

https://www.laminarlip.com/burgman.php

Can you tell me which one you have?

Thanks

awww crap, I see you have a gen1. I wonder if the CB shield is the same at the top for both gens?

My Laminar Lip is only about 1.5 inches higher vertically than the windshield, but is effectively much higher than that due to the stand-off distance. I can easily view over the shield and still get full wind protection.

FJRAvatar800.jpg

I also have a CB flip and would like to try a lip.They offer several for the Burgman

https://www.laminarlip.com/burgman.php

Can you tell me which one you have?

Thanks

awww crap, I see you have a gen1. I wonder if the CB shield is the same at the top for both gens?
I think they may be? Anyway, drop Laminar an e-mail they were very helpful. I'm fairly sure mine was for the Burgman 650.

Al's hot tip: Buy some extra 3M Dual Locks when you order.

Al.

Latest posts