Calgary Tech Day?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I swing by for a coffee, or is it 'blue eyed sheiks' only?
smile.png

Al.

I don't know any blue eyed sheiks... so come on down! Coffee pot's always on, and probably a pot of venison chili too (at least on tech day). Might even be some cold ales in the fridge.

I am riding to Georgia 9 May, so the dates need to be prior to that. Still haven't heard from anyone (prolly because it's still #$#$#@#$%^& SNOWING!!!) so either late April or the weekend of 4 May seems to be about right.

Griff

OK... Calgary Tech Day is Saturday 4 May, 0800 until whenever we get done...

Post up here or PM me if you plan on attending so I can make sure there's enough beer/grub/etc. I'll email all the usual suspects the details.

Griff

Thanks to an email from Griff, I'm planning to be there May 4th.

My wife Louise may also be showing up at some point on her VStrom - she has a couple of things going on early that day.

I'll save up my spark plug change for then, and maybe some little things - might have the Sena SR10 thing by then to install.

Thanks for setting this up Griff!

ian

Holy Crap... Ian!!! Where ya been? (guess I'm not one t talk, I've been MIA for a while too.) It'll be good to see you!

Ever wonder what $14,000 worth of damage looks like? 'Cerise' will be there as I start the autopsy and farkle harvest. (Well, an unauthorized farkle harvest actually started while the bike was with Redline Motorsports,
treaten.gif
but that's another story.) Unfortunately, Cherise's replacement, 'Jess' will not be able to be there as she is still in Ontario anxiously awaiting CFR and the remainder of her trip home from North Carolina.

I'll also be installing the latest in 'fusebox' technology on Duracell's FZ6R (assuming I get all the parts in time.)

Looks like most of the usual suspects will be by.
yahoo.gif
And I hear maybe a new face or 2 riding those new fangled 2013 models!

Weather forcast is looking awesome! See whoever's gonna be there, there!
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - looks like some nice weather for a change. I’ll get to see how my new-fangled 2013 handles the heat!
smile.png

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Excellent day Griff! Good to hang out again, too bad about Jeff's bike, yummy chili, cold coke, lots of wrenching. Good times ... Thanks Griff Ian
Ditto! Great to meet everyone and I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer. Just wish I could've picked up this Givi stuff before coming...

G.

Always good to have a driveway/garage full of bikes and good people! We even managed to get some work done!

Excellent day Griff! Good to hang out again, too bad about Jeff's bike, yummy chili, cold coke, lots of wrenching. Good times ... Thanks Griff Ian
Ditto! Great to meet everyone and I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer. Just wish I could've picked up this Givi stuff before coming...

G.
Did you get the Givi stuff installed? We were all ready to send the pit crew down to Blackfoot to help :)

Update...

IGOR!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! (Insert cheesy thunder sound effects and lightning flashes here)

After spending a good chunk of the day removing smashed bits, harvesting farkles, and reconnecting stuff, we fired up FJRGuy's broken steed around supper on Saturday.

Looks like a test flight will be scheduled later in the week to determine if the forks/frame got tweaked in the wreck, and a rebuild is warranted (seriously, it looks like it's just new tupperware needed), or whether she'll become an organ donor. I'm betting on the former...

Griff

Always good to have a driveway/garage full of bikes and good people! We even managed to get some work done!

G.
Did you get the Givi stuff installed? We were all ready to send the pit crew down to Blackfoot to help
smile.png
Yes and no... The rack, which was not the SR357 that I had ordered but the SRA2109 (they said the 357 is "no longer available"....(?)), was an easy parking lot installation but the light and remote control kits (with electrical quick-connects) are going to be a different story. If I had received the plastic mounting plate as I expected, the contact for the light kit would have just dropped in a hole in the plastic plate and, as they say, Bob's your uncle (like Ian's setup, if I recall correctly). I can't see any way that the contact will go in the aluminum plate that I got without major surgery, so I think I'm going to have to look at another option (maybe some Admore pieces...?). I think while I'm at it I'll try to rig up a "full" light system with turn signals as well (the Givi kit is only brake lights). That means I'll have to learn a thing or two about wiring and figure out how to get full access to the tail end. It doesn't seem to be as easy as it looks. After removing bolts and tupperware fasteners for about an hour last night I thought I was into it, but no, something was still tied up. I think someone has probably posted a "how-to" somewhere around here, so I'll see what I can find.

In any event, I'm open to suggestions on how to accomplish what I want to do (do I need a fuse block?). As you can tell, automotive wiring is not exactly my forte.

I hope the above helps to soothe the obvious angst that many of you suffered when seeing my completely farkle-less steed (wait...do bungees in the side bags count as a farkle?). Thanks again for all the offers of assistance!

Great news about Cerise! Hoping the patient pulls through.
smile.png

I have the Admore kit in my Givi box, and it is (IMHO) a much better product than what Givi provides. Simple install, you don't need an aux fuse block (although eventually with all the farkles, you may want to consider one) and great product and customer support from Admore.

Let me know if you want help with it.

Griff

Update, Part II

Thanks to all for coming down, was great to see old friends and meet a some new ones.

@ Ian: found THIS on the driveway next to where Robert was working on his bike... not sure if it's scrap, or if it belongs somewhere...

P5050052_zpsf472e2b0.jpg

Will schedule another one for fall, and maybe one for mid-season... but y'all know where to find me (and the garage, and the tools) if you wanna wrench. Gives me an excuse to keep the shop more or less tidy ;)

Griff