G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I installed a FJR-specific G2 Ergo throttle tube and cam yesterday. Installation was painless; the G2 is the same exact length as stock, fit the bar perfectly. The only difference is the G2 has a slightly larger OD; I had to 'spread' my Madco throttle lock so it would fit over the larger diameter.

Test results? This is the single best farkle you can add to your 2006 FJR to cure throttle abruptness. Serious. The throttle cam has a 'flat' spot long that allows for a truely 'linear' pull at low throttle settings. Low speed parking maneuvers, and tight corners are a dream now. I have also done the Barbarian jumper mod and added Grip Puppies. The biggest change though, and a dramatic, can't miss something has happened for the better' type of change is the G2.

You can kinda see the cam action in this pix.

tcsbaseimage01.jpg

..and the MadCo throttle lock.

Completed.jpg

So this was a piece of cake to install?

Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

(I don't have or feel the need for Grip Puppies yet).

-MD

So this was a piece of cake to install?Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

-MD
Yes, it was really easy. I did it all in less than 10 minutes. You will *most likely* need new grips. I had already replaced the stock grips when I installed the MADCO throttle lock months earlier.. I simply cut them off with a single edged blade back then. Don't recall if they were glued from the factory or not. For this go round, I used compressed air under the grip to slip it off without damage. Also, I use safety wire on my grips to prevent slipping when wet.
I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really, :D :D :D with this farkle.

Excellent report dcarver. Glad to hear someone who's finally done this mod and successfully. I likey the setup you have with the Madco throttle lock as well. Did you use the #400 cam ring? Thanks, PM. <>< :D

So this was a piece of cake to install?Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

-MD
Yes, it was really easy. I did it all in less than 10 minutes. You will *most likely* need new grips. I had already replaced the stock grips when I installed the MADCO throttle lock months earlier.. I simply cut them off with a single edged blade back then. Don't recall if they were glued from the factory or not. For this go round, I used compressed air under the grip to slip it off without damage. Also, I use safety wire on my grips to prevent slipping when wet.
I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really, :D :D :D with this farkle.
Thanks, DC !!

I've placed my order. Should ship tomorrow.

Excellent report dcarver. Glad to hear someone who's finally done this mod and successfully. I likey the setup you have with the Madco throttle lock as well. Did you use the #400 cam ring? Thanks, PM. <>< :D
Yes, I used the #400 ring. Actually, it was what came with the 'FJR' package. You'll probably giggle like I did when you see how long the 'flat' spot is on the cam. When you install it, the stamped '400' goes to the inside, towards the bike centerline.. but I know you already knew that...

Kate's Dad - you will love this.. I wish I had thought of it first. So simple.. and works so good..

I wish I had thought of it first. So simple.. and works so good..

What REALLY sucks is that I thought of this idea and started doing research a couple weeks before the G2 became public knowledge on the forum. Once people found those for $60, my little machine to re-machine the stock throttle tube seems not worthwhile. :angry2:

Gee, imagine that. Who would've figured the problem was in the throttle pulley redesign all along...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, imagine that. Who would've figured the problem was in the throttle pulley redesign all along...
I don't think that the problem is in the throttle pulley. I think that you found the problem. This is just a cure :rolleyes: .

I don't think that the problem is in the throttle pulley. I think that you found the problem. This is just a cure :rolleyes: .
Fred, you ROCK! The pulley below the tank is completely incorrect; you found it and fixed it with the patented FredH wire fix.. but for us ham-fisted nimrods, we are scared to attempt that fix.. This solution, at the *other* end of the throttle cable, is much more do-able for the mechanically challenged. Either method will 'fix' the problem.. which Yamaha should really correct, IMHO. All I know is this.. for 10 or 20 minutes of time, this is by far the best farkle I've installed.

Will any of this technology help us old-schoolers (Fred H. fix or tube thingy)?

Fred does rock. I put the LED array in my Givi box and now my rear end is a formidable sight (LED brakeflasher, bag reflectors, Givi Fred H. LED array).

Toe, IIRC, the abrupt-throttle syndrome evolved with the 06' model. However, my bet would be that the earlier FJ's use the same size/shape throttle tube.. and if you wanted a more linear 1/8th throttle, this tube would work.. I'll wait for the X-perts to chime in..

Yes, I used the #400 ring. Actually, it was what came with the 'FJR' package. You'll probably giggle like I did when you see how long the 'flat' spot is on the cam. When you install it, the stamped '400' goes to the inside, towards the bike centerline.. but I know you already knew that...

Kate's Dad - you will love this.. I wish I had thought of it first. So simple.. and works so good..
Well, that was one of the easiest farkle installs I've done in a while -

Wonky's warming up right behind me as I type this - I've already noticed a difference in the uptake from idle -

ok. now where did I put that Widder gear ??

I gotta go!!

:clapping:

EDIT: 9:23 PM - HOLY CRAP !! THIS is what it's SUPPOSED to be like !! Just pulling out of my driveway was different - smooth, predictable, quite an improvement! Makes me want to go visit the parking lot where I did my MSF class - and start practicing the figure 8's ...

Thanks for the tip, DC !!

Do previous years benefit at all from this or is it something Yama slighted on the 06 model?

Toe, IIRC, the abrupt-throttle syndrome evolved with the 06' model. However, my bet would be that the earlier FJ's use the same size/shape throttle tube.. and if you wanted a more linear 1/8th throttle, this tube would work.. I'll wait for the X-perts to chime in..
I'm no expert but after looking up the part number for the grip assy., (5JW-26240-00-00), the number is the same for an 05 and an 06. This tells me the difference is in the pully on the throttle body side only. By using the g2 throttle tube cam #400 you are offsetting the pull ratio to bring it back into spec with the earlier years ratio's. Darn it now I have to order one. Will it ever end? PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Here is an answer from Sam on grips and throttlemeister.

I have dealt with a guy on the FJR Forum that used a Throttlemeister

and that is why I did not chamfer the end of my tube so that it had a better

service and he is the guy that helped me get my tube length right. I believe

that the only thing that was a little different is that my tube measures

1.011" in outside diameter and yours is 1.00". I think that his name on the

forum is shokdimn. I am sure that he would give you a comment because he was

an awfully nice guy.

The heated grips I can not tell you personally but a lot of people

have bought my throttle that have put heated grips on them but I have never

had any one comment back on if they worked or didn't.

I will guarantee my throttle assembly against ANY reason that you

can come up with if you don't like it!

Thank you!

Sam

EDIT: 9:23 PM - HOLY CRAP !! THIS is what it's SUPPOSED to be like !! Just pulling out of my driveway was different - smooth, predictable, quite an improvement! Makes me want to go visit the parking lot where I did my MSF class - and start practicing the figure 8's ... Thanks for the tip, DC !!
It does work, huh! If only all farkles had this cost/ease of install/result factor! BTW, you keep Wonky in the living room, next to the computer? If so, you da man!