2014 Rumours... CFR on 'da rock' ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canucklehead-biker

Reaction score
I sorta started a post-hijack on the 2013 Registration thread (Sorry Bill!) ... so here's a new thread...

I was musing while looking at El Cajone's slideshow on his trip to Newfoundland last year, and it occurred to me that since we move CFR from region to region every year, AND next year the rotation would put it in the Maritimes....

CFR on the Rock?

I'm in!!!

Griff

I say go for it! A "RALLY on the ROCK" would be an experience no one would forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not aware of any members on the rock so the only issue that I can see is who would organize the event. Other than that little detail, I'm in.

Canadian FJR

I'm not aware of any members on the rock so the only issue that I can see is who would organize the event. Other than that little detail, I'm in.

Canadian FJR
There is (or was ) a Forum member in NL - dunno who or where though. (St John's ? Mount Pearl?)

I'm certainly game for a ride to NL.

I 'd never be a killjoy so I'll just sit this out and see what y'all are proposing (time and place-wise)
tongue.png

That would be so cool. In more ways than one!
cold.gif

Mid August would be about right. Would we all need frankentanks? Looks so remote? Either way Ime in!
smile.png

Dave

I'll do some checking into the larger Yamaha shops over there that may be interested in assisting in some form. This might give some ideas as where to base it.

Canadian FJR

Greg - you get to Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) by plane (++ spendy!) or by ferry from North Sydney (in Cape Breton) (not so spendy except in time):

The ferry to Port aux Basques on the west coast (Corner Brook / Gros Morne National Park) is about 6 hours

The ferry to Argentia on the east coast (St John's) is 10 to 12 hours.

This oughta be interesting
thumbsup.gif

I'm hearing you MEM. It's a big trip no matter where you come from. A lot of logistics considering where you catch the ferries. You most likely are going to take both of those ferries, one going, one coming back. I think The Rock could be interesting if you want to spend a day getting there ( the 6 hour ferry) once you're on the east coast), three days there exploring (maybe 4), a day and a bit back (the 12 hour ferry) and home from there. I've never been but several friends have told me about their adventures, you have to do it once in your life. I've often thought of going, certainly want to one day, just haven't gotten my head around it yet. My personal opinion is I'd rather do it as a trip not a rally. Perhaps it's a good idea, but I don't see having one base there, you want to make your way around the island exploring.... maybe I'm wrong. Somebody with real world rock experience would have to organize this thing, I think..... dunno, maybe I'm all wet. Maybe it will grow on me, and I'd listen to any good plan put on the table.

I have to agree with RaYzerman. It would be difficult to "do" Newfoundland as a centrally-located rally. The Province is LARGE and the stuff you would want to see is separated by long distances in some cases. Different things appeal to different people. I could see spending a few days near Gros Morne (Rocky Harbour) as a rally point - come and go via Port aux Basques. Likewise, one might want to do the east side with HQ near St. John's. The ferry from N. Sydney to Argentia (1.5 hr from St. John's) is a lot longer and quite a bit more expensive. A lot is missed if you confine it to one area or another but to do anything else would be logistically impossible.

The point is that for most, a trip to Newfoundland represents a significant trip and is more suited to a personal vacation as opposed to a MC rally. Its a great place to explore. Roads are generally quite good but not the twisty experience craved by many.

I would never discourage anyone from taking a MC trip to Newfoundland. I have been there four times by bike and would not hesitate to go back again.

Edit: If someone decides to organize this, I'll be there. I wouldn't make it my final destination but something to do for a couple of days while I was there.

RK

There's always Nova Scotia. I haven't been there yet. Maybe it's time to go back. I think there was a rally a few years ago.

Dave

Every time I've been up there it's been rainy n foggy 5 out of 7 days. Nova Scotia same thing, great for the moss I guess ;)

I figure that by 2014 the Trans Lab Highway will be mostly paved. This might be be an interesting option for the trip home.

I did the TLH on the KLR a few years back and told the boys at that time that "the next time I ride this road It'll be on the FJR".

Even the dirt portions should be doable.

Canadian FJR

If you are going to Newfoundland, bring rain gear and lots of it. Spent a fair bit of time there for work and very few of those days were nice days. Roads are not all that great. Scenery is amazing however and people are great.

You have to go through Nova Scotia to get to the ferries and I think just as many places to see in Nova Scotia and able to do PEI.

Newfoundland would be a great trip, but I think I'd want to have the flexibility to look at the weather and decide I'm going to bail out and stay in Nova Scotia if things didn't look good. That's hard in a big group.

Not to rain on the Newfoudland parade, but Nova Scotia's got me to daydreaming. Only got to spend a couple days there a few years back (Cabot's Trail & Peggy's Cove) and always wanted a good excuse to bring the wife up there someday.

Sunrise Trail and Cabot Trail for me June 28th. Last time there I passed a Gixxer going down Cape Smokey towards the hairpin turn. Dummy thought he should be leading through Cape Smokey and I didn't agree. Don't like to waste those twisty roads.