Gen III frame sliders.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
The longer I thought about the factory kit, the less appealing it seemed. Gotta go to Bulgaria or some fucking place to get them. Then smuggle them back into the country. Sell the house to pay for them. Cut on the fairing…… Naw.

So I got my favorite wrencher together with a very talented machinist who between them came up with some spacers that, in combination with some longish hardened bolts, grafted a pair of traditional delron bits on. No pulling the plastic. No cutting the plastic. Easy peasy.

Will they bend on impact? I don’t know yet. But SkooterG, prince of a fellow that he is, has offered to get drunk as shit and test them out for me. While I certainly don’t hold myself out as a mechanical /structural engineer, those spacers are stout as hell and I’m guessing that any impact that would bend these would bend the brackets on the factory sliders as well. The question then becomes “What do we do now?”. In my case, I’ll remove the bent bolt, slide in a new one, on go on my way. The guy with the factory stuff is going to have to pull the plastic, pull the slider, invite five of his biggest, strongest friends and with the help of a vise bend everything back to the proper shape. And then put everything back together. And what if the slider gets garfed and the owner wants to replace it for cosmetic reasons? In my case, I’ll part with $30 and replace it. The other guy gets to try to talk Yamaha into selling him just one. Good luck with that.

So all in all, I’m pretty happy with this arrangement.

https://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/5/9/9/2/sliders_1.jpg

https://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/5/9/9/2/sliders_2.jpg

https://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/5/9/9/2/sliders_3.jpg

https://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/5/9/9/2/sliders_4.jpg

But the Yamaha ones will spread the load over two mounting points and NOT break the frame....they might!!!!!!

R

I want a set! How could we arrange to talk your wrencher/machinist into a multiple manufacturing run, ol' buddy, ol' pal?

The longer I thought about the factory kit, the less appealing it seemed. Gotta go to Bulgaria or some fucking place to get them. Then smuggle them back into the country. Sell the house to pay for them. Cut on the fairing…… Naw.<SNIP>
AKjitsu, I'm cool with what you have chosen to do. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Then again you might consider giving the rest of the world some slack. I have MOKOs on my ’04 and just ordered the Yamahas for my ’13. How about posting the name of the dealer in Bulgaria, you mentioned, so I can compare their price to the one at Bob’s in Canada. Later,,,De
smile.png

The longer I thought about the factory kit, the less appealing it seemed. Gotta go to Bulgaria or some fucking place to get them. Then smuggle them back into the country. Sell the house to pay for them. Cut on the fairing…… Naw.<SNIP>
AKjitsu, I'm cool with what you have chosen to do. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Then again you might consider giving the rest of the world some slack. I have MOKOs on my ’04 and just ordered the Yamahas for my ’13. How about posting the name of the dealer in Bulgaria, you mentioned, so I can compare their price to the one at Bob’s in Canada. Later,,,De
smile.png
No insult intended at all Tyrone. I was just attempting to pint out as you say there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Besides: Canada, Bulgaria: WTF’s the difference? They’re both frozen wastelands where people talk funny.
no.gif

But the Yamaha ones will spread the load over two mounting points and NOT break the frame....they might!!!!!!
R
Anything’s possible of course. But, being neither the smartest nor best coordinated guy in the world, I’ve hit the pavement on numerous occasions with conventional frame sliders, including once on a Ducati with spacers considerably longer than these. And a few of those instances at well into three digits. I’ve broken my face. I’ve broken my ass. I’ve never broken a frame. Of the hundreds of crashes I’ve witnessed at the track, I’ve never seen a conventional slider break a frame. Besides, can we not agree that the biggest threats to the plastics on a Feejer are at parking lot speeds?

R
Anything’s possible of course. But, being neither the smartest nor best coordinated guy in the world, I’ve hit the pavement on numerous occasions with conventional frame sliders, including once on a Ducati with spacers considerably longer than these. And a few of those instances at well into three digits. I’ve broken my face. I’ve broken my ass. I’ve never broken a frame. Of the hundreds of crashes I’ve witnessed at the track, I’ve never seen a conventional slider break a frame. Besides, can we not agree that the biggest threats to the plastics on a Feejer are at parking lot speeds?
I like your approach to the slider issue. If I had a Gen III I would want a pair like the ones you and your friend put together. You can't put a GoPro on the Yamaha slider.

<Pic Assist>

Nice job, looks as good as any other single bolt slider.

FYI -- There have been a couple documented instances of broken frames using the single bolt style slider.

--G

sliders_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice highway pegs!

If you fokkers would stop dropping your damn motorcycles, you wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel every new model.

Those are awesome, seriously, can you get me a set? with gratuity of course

After I saw how fugly the Yami sliders were AND that I had to cut the plastic I figured that I would wait until someone came up with an alternative.. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone will be making these

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, i took mine off for now as the bike is MC Enterprises while they make the Canyon Cages...
R

Oh, they are going to drop it for sure then!

Cool sliders buckaroo. Was thinking about you last night while two-stepping with all the Cougars at the Buffalo Chip.

When is my test ride?

After I saw how fugly the Yami sliders were AND that I had to cut the plastic I figured that I would wait until someone came up with an alternative.. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone will be making these
Like I told Road King, contact my mech. If enough folks show an interest, they may be willing to spin up the CNC gizmo and pop out a run. It's not like I have to have the only pair around.

Like I told Road King, contact my mech. If enough folks show an interest, they may be willing to spin up the CNC gizmo and pop out a run. It's not like I have to have the only pair around.
I sent him an email requesting info and pricing if he chooses to make more.