grounding spider detailed instructions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanahanman

Reaction score
I have tried a variety of searches and looked through tech posts and must be blind!

Is there a detailed instructional on repairing the grounding issue?

As I am very comfortable, and experienced with wiring, I'm not going to spend money on a harness but will do the modifications myself.

Just need to be pointed in the right direction.

thanks

type this into google search : Ground spiders site:fjrforum.com

I got 170 results.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find the appropriate connectors for the spiders, you can install 6 pigtail wires in each, join to a larger gauge wire and connect to a suitable ground. A harness would entail having several spider pigtails join larger gauge wire which is strung to a good ground. Or, cut the existing spider connectors off and join the 5 or 6 spider wires to a larger gauge wire (12 ga.) you take to a good ground (tricky on the shorter spiders under the tank, connectors recommended there). Not sure if Eastern Beaver has the connectors you need.

If you can find a Brodie harness, it will save you hours and worth the cost.

Your bike is covered by under the recall. Take it to a dealer and let them do any repairs for free. If you're still unsure, Brodie and Roadrunner both made and sold harnesses.

I don't use either one, but people are impressed with both.

Yamaha Canada issued the recall as well and so your local dealer will fix it free of charge. One advantage of doing this is that if you sell the bike, a buyer who does a recall search will see that it has been "officially" dealt with.

Myself and Brodie are no longer making the fix harnesses. As said , get the factory fix for the S4 spider, then cut the S6 spider off and solder the wires together. That will fix it up for sure. The S4 was the most failures with the S6 as a distant second. There was 1 or 2 failures of S7, but may have been a fluke like a bad crimp or something.

Yamaha Canada issued the recall as well and so your local dealer will fix it free of charge.
I was thinking the same thing while riding this morning.

A call to Yamaha Canada is in order.

Who knows, the work my already have been done but I will still look into the S4 as it looks like the "big one"

Here are some resources to look at. Even though the links may take you to specific posts within the thread it may be worth browsing the whole thread (yes, several pages each).

Link ONE.

Link TWO.

Link DETAILS.

Myself and Brodie are no longer making the fix harnesses. As said , get the factory fix for the S4 spider, then cut the S6 spider off and solder the wires together. That will fix it up for sure. The S4 was the most failures with the S6 as a distant second. There was 1 or 2 failures of S7, but may have been a fluke like a bad crimp or something.
Well as a rider of a 10 I am so happy I got your harness when you were producing them. My spiders were crap when I went into them so I am not a believer in the fix at all, and highly pissed I was not included. My 10 has the same bullshit harness that the recalls have. I know, not enough reported failures to include it blah blah.
Sorry you guys do not make them any longer but the fact remains I would put one on a 13 if I bought one just for security and piece of mind.

I still say the spider fix is a crap shoot but who am I to argue with a Forum, or Yamaha?

Thanks for posting this up, you aren't the only one wondering.

type this into google search : Ground spiders site:fjrforum.comI got 170 results.
I think this is part of the problem. Just because 170 results pop up doesn't mean you find what you need. Most of those are of folks asking about them, talking about them, or getting stuck by them. I tried really hard to find a good solid write up similar to McAtrophy's clutch soak thread on the spiders and was unable to do so. Heck, it took a good deal of digging through those results just to find a few pictures of the locations of some of the spiders. If there isn't one by the time I get around to digging into them, I might do so myself.
Simply pointing someone to google doesn't provide the answers. I know this as I do IT stuff for a living and spend my life searching the googles. Sure, anybody can plug stuff into a search engine but knowing what to put in and how to sift through the results for the info necessary to fix something is where the real work lies.

Here are some resources to look at. Even though the links may take you to specific posts within the thread it may be worth browsing the whole thread (yes, several pages each).
Link ONE.

Link TWO.

Link DETAILS.
Thanks ionbeam, this will get me started.

type this into google search : Ground spiders site:fjrforum.comI got 170 results.
I think this is part of the problem. Just because 170 results pop up doesn't mean you find what you need. Most of those are of folks asking about them, talking about them, or getting stuck by them. I tried really hard to find a good solid write up similar to McAtrophy's clutch soak thread on the spiders and was unable to do so. Heck, it took a good deal of digging through those results just to find a few pictures of the locations of some of the spiders. If there isn't one by the time I get around to digging into them, I might do so myself.
Simply pointing someone to google doesn't provide the answers. I know this as I do IT stuff for a living and spend my life searching the googles. Sure, anybody can plug stuff into a search engine but knowing what to put in and how to sift through the results for the info necessary to fix something is where the real work lies.

Link ONE.

Link TWO.

Link DETAILS.
Thanks ionbeam, this will get me started.
Well I guess I need to go through and search, filter , and bookmark every relevant repair and modification thread, so that no one else has to do it. I'll be busy for the next few months. Someone else will have to answer questions.

I think this is part of the problem. Just because 170 results pop up doesn't mean you find what you need. ...Heck, it took a good deal of digging through those results just to find a few pictures of the locations of some of the spiders...
offtopic.gif

Searching effectively is a challenge. The Forum search engine is barely sufficient. Google is not comforting or a friend when it returns 4.969 matches to a simple query. I typically use a different search engine that in turn searches many different search engines (meta search) including Google, then throws away the duplicates, ranks the answers by relevance to the query and typically returns what I am looking for on the first page. In the Forum we are often witty and clever in the terms we use but then when some poor sap needs info on melting ground connectors he has to look up spiders. If you need information on valves with excessive guide wear you have to look up ticker.

It takes a little thought to come up with a good search; your search doesn't have to be grammatically correct or have any syntax, it just needs the key words that are fundamental to the thread or post you are looking for. As a poster writing a thread that may be used by others as a guide or how-to you should put some basic key words that are more than three letters in the body of the text and not just in the title. Some people have been helpful, when looking for info on the grounding if you use the Forum search engine and type in "spider locations" including the quotes you will find some posts were the author used these terms and it is an easy find.

Well I guess I need to go through and search, filter , and bookmark every relevant repair and modification thread, so that no one else has to do it. I'll be busy for the next few months. Someone else will have to answer questions.
No one said you needed to do such a thing. However, pointing out that there's 170 results on google isn't much help either.

No one said you needed to do such a thing. However, pointing out that there's 170 results on google isn't much help either.
Well the 170 number wasn't a smart ass remark. (at least it wasn't intended that way) I posted "exactly" what I put into google and meant to point out that I had no trouble finding results. Sometimes I wonder why people seem to have so much trouble searching on their own. BTW the OP thanked me, so apparently he took it the way I intended.
smile.png

I am happy with Intech's response.

Sometimes, it just the wording in the search that does the trick.

I was searching mostly within the FJR site and the Google responses worked out fine.

I don't expect people to do the work for me but sometimes a push in the right direction is helpful.

As this thread has now taken a turn to what is no longer useful to me, I will unsubscribe with thanks for the assistance.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Perhaps an oil thread...
uhoh.gif

This is 'kind of' timely for me. While I was installing a new fused distribution block recently, it occurred to me that I could use the fuseblock ground to tie in to the 'Ground Bus #1' thus providing an alternative ground path and relieve some of the load on the other Ground Buses (Spiders). Just waiting for the parts to arrive from Eastern Beaver
lazy.gif

I am happy with Intech's response.Sometimes, it just the wording in the search that does the trick.

I was searching mostly within the FJR site and the Google responses worked out fine.

I don't expect people to do the work for me but sometimes a push in the right direction is helpful.

As this thread has now taken a turn to what is no longer useful to me, I will unsubscribe with thanks for the assistance.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Perhaps an oil thread...
uhoh.gif
Good one!