Relay Arm Bearing Install/Removal Method

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Tools: C-clamp, 17mm socket, 1" socket, and an extension.

The 17mm fits very nicely through the relay arm and swing arm bearing housings. Align it all up and turn the crank!

This shows the "removal" setup; but just flip the setup around for install.

RelayBearingPress.jpg

This works on both ends of the Relay Arm and the Swing Arm Relay bearings.

Perfect! (As long as you don't try to squeeze it in at some odd angle).

The trickier part will be doing the first of the two back to back center bearings. That really calls for a blind bearing puller.

Once you get one side out the other side will be easy, as will reinstalling.

I finally ordered the seals to do this job. I bought a used relay arm off fee-bay so plan to rebuild that first and then install so there's no "surprises" while I'm down.

I just got that used Wilbur shock but maybe will just go ahead and put that in first, then do the relay arm down the road when I have more time to be down. I'm meeting a friend in Jax on the 23rd for a 6 day trip to - we're not sure where yet - so will look at the relay arm after that run and before the Hoagy's Heroes trip to Texas in May.

The trickier part will be doing the first of the two back to back center bearings. That really calls for a blind bearing puller. Once you get one side out the other side will be easy, as will reinstalling.
Old post but didn't feel the need to start a new thread...

What do I need for a bearing puller to remove the two roller bearings for the center hole in the relay arm? I saw some "kits" for $100+ but I hate to spend this much on a tool that I will likely use only once or twice. For now, I don't intend to remove the relay arm - the top bearing moves very freely but the middle one (where the dogbones attach) is pretty rough. I removed the bolt and was able to push the sleeve out with some difficulty. Back bearing is good as well. I cleaned and lubed everything but I think it would be a good idea to replace the two bearings and possibly the sleeve in the center part. Any other way to get the bearings out? Doesn't matter if it is destructive to the bearings but I don't want to damage the relay arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bearings are in a weak wax or plastic race. You can pull them out with your fingernails if you are so inclined. Seriously, you don't need tools beyond a small screwdriver.

You can replace the rollers and center race quite easily, as noted by Tom above. The outer race (relatively thin, formed sheet metal) is pressed into the bore of the relay arm.

I would imagine an industrious fellow could knock the race out using a long punch of some sort. With 2 FJRs in the family, I have purchased a used spare relay arm and need to get that done on my spare so it's all ready to go whenever needed.

Thanks Tom and Fred

If I don't need to buy the bearing puller, I will likely do it once I change back to my Penske shock - I swapped back to the OEM low-mileage original to get the aftermarket one refurbished. Since the top bearing moved freely and the rear one was in great shape, I did not bother to try to remove the relay arm (maybe next year). I guess I need to buy two bearings and two new seals. I think the sleeve is in good enough shape. There was mild corrosion and some dried grease but minimal pitting. I am planning to install the new bearings using a C-clamp along with a socket of the appropriate diameter.

Same here, I bought an extra off Fleabay. The bearings actually seem quite good so I might just swap it out. I am in the process of polishing it up. I will either paint it black or clear before I replace it.

Dave

How common is it for these to actually go bad? I have an '03 and pulled my relay arm out last month, everything looked good and got new grease.

How common is it for these to actually go bad? I have an '03 and pulled my relay arm out last month, everything looked good and got new grease.
Depends....

Mileage, interval between greasing (aka maintenance), road conditions (e.g. do they salt the roads), if your FJR is also your dualsport ride, how much of a lard ass you are, etc.

With no maintenance on my forward bearing, decent road conditions, marginal dualsporting activities in rallies, and kilos of manteca in my butt....it was definitely toast after 168,000 miles. It was probably starting to be an issue closer to 100,000. The other three that i could serviced twice over that time were all fine.

You taking yours out and new grease probably means it will last indefinitely.