Favorite town to spend the night?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
When I'm on the road I like to find towns that have decent affordable hotels (I don't need room service, but I prefer no chalk outline in the carpet), safe parking and a decent restaurant/bar within walking distance. I've found some good (Lewisburg, WV) and I've found some bad (Elkins, WV). This week I added 2 to the good list: Gaitlinburg, TN and Boone, NC. What have you found and why do you like that town? Answers from all states are ok as hopefully someday I will ride thru them all.
smile.png

I liked Blowing Rock, NC, even closer to the BRP than Boone, very clean with nice mom & pop motels close to a good restaurant (Knights on Main). Marlinton, WV has a couple nice places to stay and is in the middle of some prime riding.

It's been a few yrs, but one place that stands out for me is Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Clean little hotel with a great little bar nearby. Also the riding to the Northeast is awesome.

Staunton, VA. Great downtown you'll WANT to walk at night.

All the restaurants are good

Cap it off with a stay at the Stonewall Jackson.

Begin your day with breakfast at Kathy's

After breakfast head south on the BRP.

Eureka Springs, AR.

Historic yet interesting eclectic downtown.

The entire place loves motorcyclists.

Some of the best roads in the U.S.

The best food in town is at the Sister's Cafe.

Second best is The Local Flavor.

Ouray, CO. Great steaks at the Outlaw and the hot springs at the Box Canyon Inn are sweet.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, where do I start? I've probably seen good and bad in every state...now if I only had a better memory. They all kinda run together after a while.

Lots of good places in the Denver area.

Johnathan Creek Inn (have to get a creek side room with balcony) in Maggie Valley, NC. - good place for steaks and drinks right next door and good breakfast right across the street.

Swore I'd never go back to Jackson, Mississippi.

Wellsboro, Pa. I'd go back in a heartbeat. When in Marlinton, WV prepare to be isolated- very little if any cell service for miles around. 2 motels I've been to there have no wifi either, you'll have to go to the Dairy Queen to get that.

Tellico Plains. Nothing there really, except good riding. Cherohala starts from there, the Dragon not far, a short drive to get to Georgia's 60 from Tenn. border to Dahonega,GA., that I would name "The Constrictor". Easy on the wallet for stays too. Check out The Lodge at Tellico for a great place to stay, they have a bike garage!

Nelson, BC keeps popping into my mind. Have stopped there a half dozen times during rides over the years and always had a great meal in fun, interesting places. Several moderate priced hotels in the downtown area. The town in in a spectacular location with lakes, rivers and mountains all around. Check it out in Google Maps. Steve Martin film made there a few years ago. Great skiing in the winter!

Marlinton Motor Lodge. I could ride the loop using SR150(no trucks on this part) all day long. Also there's a county or township road to get to and from Cass. There is a little known camping area in Marlinton that we take our FunMover to. Can't think of the name, but it was a mobile home park that got flooded. years ago. Full hookups were way low, $20-25. it's along the same highway as the Marlinton Motor Lodge, and yes the Lodge has a bar/dining.

Ouray, CO. Great steaks at the Outlaw and the hot springs at the Box Canyon Inn are sweet.
punk.gif
It's hard to pick just one city, but Ouray popped into my head first.

Tall mountain peaks on three sides overlooking the town. I was here with wifey in '88 as a "congratulations, you're finally done with effin college" trip. We lay back in the public hot springs pool, staring up at those peaks as they were being hit by that late afternoon western sunlight.

Just awesome.

I don't know about nightlife or anything else like that in the town. I just feel like I'm in Switzerland...and enjoy the natural beauty.

Wifey and I are headed here after the Grand Canyon this summer.

EDIT: That being said, I usually don't pick cities for destinations. It is usually a general area with the routing being what I concentrate on. Also, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay are also kewl.

It's been a few yrs, but one place that stands out for me is Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Clean little hotel with a great little bar nearby. Also the riding to the Northeast is awesome.
I'll make a note of that!

It is looking like late August...

Banff, Alberta is a nice stop... but there is an Iron Butt Hotel on I-57 right on Rend Lake with a secluded picnic table (Covered) overlooking the lake that always has a nice breeze

that is my favorite!

I'll make a note of that!It is looking like late August...

Banff, Alberta is a nice stop... but there is an Iron Butt Hotel on I-57 right on Rend Lake with a secluded picnic table (Covered) overlooking the lake that always has a nice breeze

that is my favorite!
I wonder how that conversation will go over with my wife when I try to explain to her about this perfect little stop over next summer on our way to Banff. "Honey, you're just gonna love this place. It overlooks a lake and has a real natural feel to it, albeit the bed might be a bit firm."

I bet KW & NS are great in late August.