Center Stand Lifting Aid (Original)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Origninator: Flagstaff

At 155 lbs I've had zero luck getting my Gen II onto the center stand. I had made a ramp out of a couple of pieces of 5/8" plywood, but this typically meant I had to ride into the garage, put it on the side stand, position the ramp, remount and ride up, and finally put it on the stand. This method also means the bike starts higher in the air making initial balancing a little more difficult plus it is really leaned over unless you put something under the side stand.

After studying and measuring the center stand's foot, I decided to try and come up with an extender to give me the leverage I needed.

Well, I hit it dead on on my first try. It is as simple as an 8" long 1.5" galvanized nipple and a 1.5" galvanized coupling. The combination fits perfectly over the center stand foot and the pipe threads seem to keep anything from slipping.

I'm able to pop it up with ease even in my flip flops.

I imagine this could be made more travel friendly with a pipe bushing reducer and a smaller and shorter nipple.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Original by WheatonFJR

video please.

biggrin.png

Congrats to you...but doesn't that pipe want to rotate when you press down on it?

Flagstaff

video please.
biggrin.png

Congrats to you...but doesn't that pipe want to rotate when you press down on it?

The funny video would be me trying to lift it without the extension.

As for rotating, no. The 'foot' is not round and as mentioned I think the threads may also help keep it from rotating/slipping.

Spud

Looks like something we used to make when I was a kid. Make one now and it's a national emergency....

FJRay

It doesn't have the caps on the ends Steve.

Spud

Or the little hole for the hobby-store fuse, but you get the idea...
smile.png

I'm sure if you put it (as-is) in your carry-on at an airport you'd get the fondling of your life!

creg-ny-baa

Yeah, I don't get how it works either. It isn't clear to me (pardon me being dense) which "foot" it fits onto. Is it extended out from the lever you step on? Pics and vids appreciated.

WheatonFJR

V-I-D-E-O.

biggrin.png

08FJR4ME

Interesting gadget but I think most feejer peeps tend to be on the robust side. You may be in the minority. Looks like you have some skills with the foot pad too. My biggest concern would be crossing the border and trying to explain what it is.
not_i.gif

Dave

Flaggstaff

https://www.fototime.com/CD75491756B44ED/convx264.mp4

I never uploaded video, so I hope this works.

Fred W

Video worked fine.

I get what it is. You are merely adding an extension to the foot tang in an attempt to add leverage force to the stand. My concern would be that the added force might break off the tang at the welds, but I guess since you are light weight gravity impaired that the force you are applying even with the added lever length may be what we Clydesdales exert every time.

Couple of questions for you... Have you lowered your bike at all? What size rear tire do you have?

The reason that I ask is that generally even lighter folks are able to easily lift the FJR with the stock center-stand as long as it hasn't been lowered somehow.

I think I need to invent an electrically (or better yet hydraulically) powered center stand.

And then if I could incorporate a reverse gear into it (for those people who insist on parking downhill (the wrong direction) in parking spaces) I'd make millions if not hundreds of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.