GPS for Iphone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderwill

Reaction score
My trusty nuvi 750 bit the dust a couple months ago during a get off. With an MP3 player, headphone jack for ear buds and ability to load routes it was everything I needed for long rides. Now I need a replacement but I want to go a different direction. I just received my Sena intercom so now have FM radio, mp3, and phone, but now just need to find the right GPS app. I typically use google maps on my phone for the car. Works fine and has voice direction but lacks the ability to load up a route. So I'm looking for suggestions for an app that can do the following:

1. either create a route or accept a route file like a .gpx

2. has voice direction

3. stores maps on the phone and navigates using satellite like a traditional gps versus relying on a cell signal and using data. (I've heard some apps can do this)

Am I asking too much or does such a thing exist? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My trusty nuvi 750 bit the dust a couple months ago during a get off. With an MP3 player, headphone jack for ear buds and ability to load routes it was everything I needed for long rides. Now I need a replacement but I want to go a different direction. I just received my Sena intercom so now have FM radio, mp3, and phone, but now just need to find the right GPS app. I typically use google maps on my phone for the car. Works fine and has voice direction but lacks the ability to load up a route. So I'm looking for suggestions for an app that can do the following:

2. has voice direction

3. stores maps on the phone and navigates using satellite like a traditional gps versus relying on a cell signal and using data. (I've heard some apps can do this)

Am I asking too much or does such a thing exist? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I use MotionX GPS Drive. Does everything you want and a lot more. Can't beat the price ($0.99). They charge you for turn by turn voice guidance although the first 30 days are free, or you can pay $2.99 for 30 days when you need it or $9.99 for a year. It's not a subscription, you just pay when you need it. You can preload your routes and maps so you don't need cell signal. I use it all the time with my Sena as well. Check it out here for all the options: https://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/

The new default maps app for the iphone is actually great. Gives multiple route options, turn by turn directions and best of all predownloads the route so it continues to work when you leave cell phone service (just can't start a new route without service). This is what I use all the time now.

For GPS when I'm out of cell range I have the Garmin USA map app. It's $50 and the maps are pre-downloaded. To be honest it kind of sucks and leaves a lot to be desired. The user interface is unfriendly and routes are not customizable but if your in the middle of no where, lost and out of cell range it gets the job done.

Motion X is also great but stops working once you leave cell service.

Sync to your Bluetooth scala or equivalent headset - listen to music, it lowers the volume to give directions. Get a ram mount "universal finger grip" mount for display.

I've tried them all. For me, Co-Pilot Pro (the paid $10 version which includes 3D & Turn by Turn Voice) is the best. I use it on my 7" Tab2 (bike) as well as my iPad2 (truck). It's available for both Android and Apple platforms.

Maps are preloaded (1.3GB for North America) and you do not need any cell service. Free updates, you can also submit your maps/findings for Co-Pilot future map releases. Re-route, drag a route & multiple route choices galore. Tons of toggles for customization, way more than a stand-alone GPS.

Download any map .extension,convert to a .trp and maps can be imported into CoPilot easily.

I use TomTom USA On my iPhone. Only thing you can't do is load a specific route from an outside source like google maps or something. You can input many waypoints between you and your destination to force it to go the route you want though. It has an option where you can choose your route type. Like avoid toll roads, avoid highways etc. It even has an option to choose routes based on how curvy the roads are, more curvy or less curvy. I thought that was pretty cool. It has all the standard GPS features like speed, time to destination, arrival time, voice turn by turn etc. All the maps are preloaded so you dont need cell service. I payed $50 and think its worth it. I get free updates so it gets a new database with all the new roads every couple of months or so. It even has the traffic option if you want to pay for it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out both MotionX and Copilot. Sounds like just the ticket.

Sync to your Bluetooth scala or equivalent headset - listen to music, it lowers the volume to give directions.
Didn't mention this but that would be another feature needed - be able to listen to mp3 while navigating with the occasional voice prompt coming through.

2. has voice direction

Here's a good discussion on the topic. Navigon is worth looking at also. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/151532-iphone-5-as-gps/