Are the unpainted 1/2 of the saddlebags the same for all gen2's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauls927

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the "case bottoms" of all the gen II saddlebags are interchangeable?

In my 2nd incident with a cager, my right bag was knocked clear from the bike and broke the latch that goes into the frame. This piece does not appear to be serviceable and either the whole saddlebag or case bottom must be replaced. Cager's insurance check is on the way for a new saddlebag (and right muffler) but I found out today that the 2007 Black cherry saddlebag is no longer available from Yamaha and no dealer in the US seems to have one in stock.

I did find out that case bottoms for 2010 and later are available..... https://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-5JW-W9341-0R-00.html, but for some reason it excludes the 2007 model.

My plan was to:

purchase a new saddlebag from an available year and have it repainted by Gary $$$$ $624 + Gary's price

purchase a used saddle on ebay and send lid to Gary for painting. $$$ $400 + Gary's price

purchase a case bottom for 2010 and send my scratched bag lid to Gary for painting $$ $278 + Gary's price

The last option is looking the best, but I need to know if the case bottoms are identical, ie same texture, color, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, insurance is paying $731 for 1 right muffler. I picked up a nice set of used Staintunes off Ebay for less than this and they look and sound great. They are paying $624 for the bag.

Just a FYI......if you go down and trash a SCORPION can SCORPION will sell you a new one for 50% off retail.

SCORPION cans also never need repacking as they have SS mesh inside, and they have a Lifetime warranty.

I believe the only other cans with a "Lifetime" warranty is STAINTUNE, also a Brit company like SCORPION.

Hey pauls927- What was your end result with your saddlebags issue? I bought a 2010 FJR1300 used without the bags and found out same thing as u on the availibility. what ya end up doing? Thanks.

Hey Dimndski,

I just purchased the new unpainted half from Yamaha and transferred my scratched painted half to the new half, put the insurance money towards some tires to it and called it a day. The scratches were pretty minor, but I may get it painted eventually one day.

Yep, inner half of the bags are all the same. Outer halves are too except for the paint color and the trim strip color on 3rd Gens. There were even some "city bag" lids floating around somewhere that had the painted half much less convex curved, more flat, to reduce the bike's full width.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Staintune pipes are made in Australia, not Great Britain. They are some of the nicest looking and sounding exhaust on the planet, but they also are fully aware of that when they set the prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole bag from partsshark was under $475 for the 2014 -

oh I just read the bit about it being out of stock. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need a 2014 bag and Partshark shows out of stick, email them to see if they are going to put them on back order. I got my European red 2014 side panels from them and they were on back order. That being the case, I got them within 10 days of that notification.