Appalachians Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ed

Reaction score
Debbie and I are getting ready to leave on our Appalachian Trip. I would greatly appreciate comments on our tentative route. This is off the top of my head so I may be forgetting some:

84 and 81 to Antietam NP.
Harpers Ferry, VA (see Bolivar Heights)
Front Royal, VA
55 West to Seneca Rocks, WV
33 East to Harrisonburg, VA
42 South to 250
250 West to WV 219
WV 219 South to WV 39
WV 39 East to Lexington, VA (see VMI, Jackson House)
Natural Bridge and Luray Caverns
Blue Ridge Parkway to Blowing Rock, NC (Mabry Mill, Moses Cone House)
Grandfather Mountain & NC 221 & Shulls Farm Road
Swiss Inn
Mount Mitchell
NC 151 Devil's Drop
Blue Ridge Parkway to Brevard, NC or Pisgah Inn
NC 276 & NC 215 loop. (Looking Glass Falls, Sliding Rock, Alligator Rock)
74, 28, and 143 to Microtel Robbinsville
Cherahola & Dragon Loop
Dragon, Foothills, Little River, 441, 28 loop
Wayah Road, N GA, SC loop
Warwomen Road
Road to Nowhere, Heintoonga Ridge Road, Maggie Valley
NC 209 (The Rattler) and NC 63
Asheville (Biltmore)
NC 80 & Roan Mountain
NC 194
TN 421 Shady Valley (Snake)
VA 58
VA 16/ WV 16 (Beckley Coal Mine) to New River Gorge
Fayette Station Road
WV 60 East to WV 219
WV 219 North to Mingo (Brazen Head Inn)
Cass Railroad & Green Bank Observatory
WV 20
WV 72
Flight 93 Memorial
Johnstown Flood Park
PA 144
PA 6
Watkins Glenn State Park
Ride Old Watkins Glen Course
Robert Treman State Park
NY Route 327
Taughannock Falls State Park
Taughannock Park Road
Ithaca Falls

Sounds like a great ride, hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Antietam battlefield park has been busy this year on nice weekends.

Switzerland Inn's Chanticleer House has, IMO, the second best view on the BRP. Pisgah Inn, IMO, has the best. Only place you listed that I wouldn't consider under any circumstances is the Brazen Head Inn. The one time I stayed there (a Suzuki group rally) was such a bad experience, I'd opt for a picnic table at the side of the road before staying there again. I've been over most of the roads you've listed and it sounds like you have a great trip planned. I'll be eagerly anticipating your ride report.

Sounds like a great ride, hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.Antietam battlefield park has been busy this year on nice weekends.

Switzerland Inn's Chanticleer House has, IMO, the second best view on the BRP. Pisgah Inn, IMO, has the best. Only place you listed that I wouldn't consider under any circumstances is the Brazen Head Inn. The one time I stayed there (a Suzuki group rally) was such a bad experience, I'd opt for a picnic table at the side of the road before staying there again. I've been over most of the roads you've listed and it sounds like you have a great trip planned. I'll be eagerly anticipating your ride report.
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely stay at Chanticleer.

I'll be on the lookout for picnic tables in Mingo!
smile.png

Sounds like your gonna have some fun...Don't miss 16 from Marion Va to Tazwell VA. From Tazwell, there are a bunch of great roads that you can take to get up to Beckley (16,10,85,99) just to name a few.

I didn't see it on your list, but try to run 311 thru Paint Bank, VA. Great road and a nice restaurant/general store in Paint Bank..

Be careful on 72 between 32 and 219.

A large section midway is covered in deep, loose gravel.

Otherwise, a scenic route with tight switchbacks.

That's quite a list of fun roads. The VA weenies "fixed" the shoulders on the north side past the valley on the VA-16, Marion - Tazewell run so the right handers in that section are covered in gravel. Not to be outdone the NC weenies did the same thing on parts of Shulls Mill Rd so don't let that catch you out either. It's not that anyone should avoid those roads but there are parts where you need to go through on your motorcycle tippy toes.

I haven't been over there to see for myself but Heintooga Ridge Rd is announced as closed for all of 2013 due to budget cuts at the park.

Last edited by a moderator: