Good Bye & Thank You

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nervous

Reaction score
With my '09 FJR now off to its new Canadian home it is time for me to move on to other things. In my year with it I guess I realized that my motorcycling focus and riding style are not what they once were and this is just the wrong bike for me at this time. It seems I will be happier with something smaller, lighter and more versatile for short commutes and the occasional camp road and rail trails. And, given the current state of a majority of our aging, dirty and unmaintained city streets it's often like off-roading when on-roading.

I have enjoyed this forum and it's many friendly, helpful and sometimes zany cast of characters and thank you all for your willingness to help. I am on a few forums and I always admire folks willingness to take the time they do to share what they know for the good of all and enrich the experience. I hope that I have been able to contribute back in the things I have offered.

My best to you all, ride safe.

Herb

Yup...Have fun with whatever you get. Sounds like you are wanting a smaller Dual Sport...There's lots to choose from in that segment. Should be cool!

BTW......Hpe you don't feel you have to "leave" just because you no longer own a FJR......you're a "legacy" now, stick around!!
smile.png

Best of luck on whatever you may choose. Stay onboard though. Lots of good folks here willing to help out regardless of the logo on the tank!

Good luck on the hunt for a different machine..... I'd say Super Tenure - but you already said smaller, and thats a pretty stout machine with a 1200 double popper....

I will stop by from time to time and I am always available via PM or EM for questions. I am thinking KLR because they are affordable and plentiful. I have owned a DR650 in the past and enjoyed that very much. But part of me is pulling for a simple UJM type of machine, past or present, as well.

I will stop by from time to time and I am always available via PM or EM for questions. I am thinking KLR because they are affordable and plentiful. I have owned a DR650 in the past and enjoyed that very much. But part of me is pulling for a simple UJM type of machine, past or present, as well.
Careful with the KLR, some years are oil burners, do some research.

I understand the move (just did it myself), good luck on the search and enjoy the new machine. Nothing like something different to peak your interest in the sport again.

Do not be a stranger .Have a look at a Vstrom 650 if you are over 5'10" they are a very good bike ( I have one ) ,they are bit top heavy . They can do dirt to a limited extent and are very reliable .

I have a klr and love it. With a few mods you will love it too. When I dont want to take the heavy fjr I am cruising around town on the klr. The 08's were the so called oil burners. Anything after 08 is good to go! Bought my 2010 brand new last year and couldn't be happier!

Realistically there will be no decision until next year as I have plenty of other irons in the fire presently. And thank you all for the suggestions and the KLR guidance. I was unaware of the oil issue on some so that is solid info. I'll spend some quality time at the KLR forum(s) and get a feel for things the way I did here. And will certainly look at a V-Strom as well as I have read very good things there as well. How good or bad is the KLR 2 up? NOt for long journeys but as a rec thing? My wife liket to ride a few times a season and will miss the FJR. She is not a big woman so I am think that will help but they don't look particularly two rider friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded my 07 KLR in on my FJR.. bought it new.. put 10,000 on it in 6 years

(it never burned oil... the 08's supposedly did.. but i have a freind with one.. doesnt burn anything measurable between changes)

Absolute joy to own.. very simple to maintain.. no issues aside from wind managment and seat comfort.

08 and newer are much more comfy than the 07 and older.. they really did fix most of the gripes.

Get a comfy seat, some heated grips and a big shield, and its a really decent bike...you should be able to pick up a new leftover for about $4000.(Troy City Garage was the least expensive new bike i could find in a 150 mile radius around me)

Conti TKC80's were my tire of choice for that critter...great all around.(OE will last ~2500mi..TKC ~5000mi)

I went to the FJR 'cause my freinds wanted to take longer rides and after about an hour, the KLR got uncomfy for me. i have put 2700 on the feej since Feb(Im in upstate NY.. half the time there was snow on the ground)

I do miss being able to wheelie every time i leave my driveway (I know the FJR can wheelie... but i feel irresponsible and abusive doing so with the Feej)

Good luck!!

(saw the 2up ? too late...personal experience...I am 230 and my KLR was good 2 up up to about 150lbs passenger... after that, it got squishy...so up to about 380(no luggage) was decent)

Last edited by a moderator: