50CCC Planning...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVGeek

Reaction score
No it's not a typo. In following the coverage of this year's Rally, I am looking at another IBA ride, in my case a coast to coast to coast. But instead of running west to east and back, I'm adding the "3rd" coast along the Gulf of Mexico, and hope to keep the whole trip under 50 hours. My tentative plan would be to run from San Diego to Corpus Christi to the east coast. And as if that wasn't hard enough, I want to actually touch a tire to the water. For example, I know I can start in Oceanside, CA from the boat launch ramp in the harbor. From there, I would run east, and would need to either head to Padre Island (where IIRC, the beach is open to vehicle traffic) or another marina there with a boat launch ramp, then head for the east coast. This is where I'm most in need of assistance, as I would be looking for somewhere on the east coast to touch tire to water (either an open beach or marina again).

I have no timeline as to when I would attempt this ride, or even any concrete plans to even try it, but it sure is nice to daydream about this when I'm stuck in my office!

Does the gulf location have to be in Texas? Why not around Mobile Bay area? Maybe Biloxy perhaps. 10 runs pretty close to the Gulf there.

I just completed a 50cc through that rotten Arizona desert about 10 days ago. Lucky I'm alive. You couldn't have picked a hotter time of year to do this. You planning to do this right away?

Gary

darksider#44

Does the gulf location have to be in Texas? Why not around Mobile Bay area? Maybe Biloxy perhaps. 10 runs pretty close to the Gulf there.
It could be there, but Corpus would add to the challenge...

I just completed a 50cc through that rotten Arizona desert about 10 days ago. Lucky I'm alive. You couldn't have picked a hotter time of year to do this. You planning to do this right away?
Gary

darksider#44
You did see where I live, right? And that I ride here daily? But no, I'm not planning on doing this during the summer. My work schedule is picking up again, and my next free window will probably be in October or November...

Huguenot Memorial Park is where you want to go to put the wheels in the water in the Atlantic Ocean. Take I-10 to I95N to Heckscher drive East till you get to the ocean. Not many places where you can get wheels wet in the ocean anymore. Or you can go a bit south to Porpoise Point in Vilano Beach. That's about the only 2 places you can drive on the beach with quick access. You can get to the sand in Jacksonville but driving on the beach is prohibited everywhere except Huguenot. I am close by, let me know if you need anything.

No it's not a typo. In following the coverage of this year's Rally, I am looking at another IBA ride, in my case a coast to coast to coast. But instead of running west to east and back, I'm adding the "3rd" coast along the Gulf of Mexico, and hope to keep the whole trip under 50 hours. My tentative plan would be to run from San Diego to Corpus Christi to the east coast. And as if that wasn't hard enough, I want to actually touch a tire to the water. For example, I know I can start in Oceanside, CA from the boat launch ramp in the harbor. From there, I would run east, and would need to either head to Padre Island (where IIRC, the beach is open to vehicle traffic) or another marina there with a boat launch ramp, then head for the east coast. This is where I'm most in need of assistance, as I would be looking for somewhere on the east coast to touch tire to water (either an open beach or marina again).
I have no timeline as to when I would attempt this ride, or even any concrete plans to even try it, but it sure is nice to daydream about this when I'm stuck in my office!
Hey AV,

I find your 3rd coast idea very intriguing, Being from the Corpus area I can tell you that dipping your front into the gulf while easily done would require you to ride out to the Padre Island National Sea Shore and drive on the beach, driving is allowed on this sea shore. The Padre Island Sea Shore is just a 30 min ride from down town Corpus. Such a challange sounds like a blast.

Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel

why ride all the way down to Corpus Christi? The riding down there is mostly flat to gently rolling and WINDY.

Shoot, just stop off at Galveston Island and dip your wheel on the way by it. Or as someone suggested, stop off at Mobile Alabama bay and do it there.

If you do it at Galveston you can head north and then east and stay off I-10 between Houston and Mobile because there really ain't much to see in that stretch and I-10 has lots of traffic on it.

why ride all the way down to Corpus Christi? The riding down there is mostly flat to gently rolling and WINDY.
Shoot, just stop off at Galveston Island and dip your wheel on the way by it. Or as someone suggested, stop off at Mobile Alabama bay and do it there.

If you do it at Galveston you can head north and then east and stay off I-10 between Houston and Mobile because there really ain't much to see in that stretch and I-10 has lots of traffic on it.
How's the ferry ride across the bay in Galveston?

I was a little skeptical of this route (SDO/CORPUS/JAX), but after looking at the mileage, it seems do-able. I forgot how far south I-10 dips in Texas. Corpus is just a hop, skip and a twist from San Antone.

Not sure I would recommend staying off of I-10 all the way from Houston to Mobile, though. Depending upon the timing, I'd likely stay south of Houston. Perhaps go through Galveston and take the ferry to Port Bolivar. From there you could pop back up on I-10 a little before Beaumont.

Have fun!

If you do it at Galveston you can head north and then east and stay off I-10 between Houston and Mobile because there really ain't much to see in that stretch and I-10 has lots of traI'ffic on it.
How's the ferry ride across the bay in Galveston?
Total time from pulling up to ferry line to board and debarking on the other side for me was about an 30 minutes on 7/10 at 5:30pm. I've heard similar time reports from others.

Plenty of places to dip your tire on Bolivar Penisula. Rollover Island would be perfect, hard packed sand and easy access. Go for it!

AVGeek, did you ever make this trip? Just wondering...
Don
Not yet, it's been back-burnered for a bit...
AVGeek,

The MTF (Motorcycle Tourers Forum) has the 50cc and 100ccc on their schedule for next March. Great bunch to hook up with, and witness signings are taken care of.

You could tie your ride into theirs as long as you can keep the time frame in mind. Do the ride from the East, or a return from the west. Just a thought...

AVGeek, did you ever make this trip? Just wondering...

Don
Not yet, it's been back-burnered for a bit...
AVGeek,

The MTF (Motorcycle Tourers Forum) has the 50cc and 100ccc on their schedule for next March. Great bunch to hook up with, and witness signings are taken care of.

You could tie your ride into theirs as long as you can keep the time frame in mind. Do the ride from the East, or a return from the west. Just a thought...
Tony.... Do you have a link to thread on the MTF thanks

Thanks Tony.... I forgot about how to get to that page! That forum helped me do my first SS1600 in 2005.
+1

"Trip Planning Tools" is a nice resource to bookmark

I just spotted "Miles Tracker" and wish I would have registered in '09

I have made some rides with them- good bunch!

Let me post up the page to tie into for OP (Lame attempt to stay on topic)

Trip planning tools here:

The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum