Beers Worthy of a Destination

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
str8 had a brilliant stroke of genius and made a suggestion for a thread on "Beers Worthy of a Destination".

Let me get a ball rolling with this fine example of a craft brewery in Eastern Ontario.

Church Key Brewery - Location N44 21.191 W77 44.219

Northumberland-Ale.png

While in the area you can just go south in Campbellford and stop in at the World's Famous Chocolate Outlet Store on 2nd St. - Location N44 18.268 W77 47.729 followed up with a short ride down County Rd 8 to the Empire Cheese Factory - Location N44 16.117 W77 45.897

To finish this all off you can finish the day with a stop at Timmy's - Location N44 18.248 W77 48.195.

So beer, chocolate, cheese & Timmy's.............. what more could you possibly want???

By the way Campbellford is on the Trent - Severn Waterway and a number of the roads follow along the water so it's also a scenic ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since this is already in the close enough to this destination (via the NERDS Rally)...

Magic Hat Brewing Co, S. Burlington, VT: Brewers of the best-tasting beer on the planet.

06886962e25c11e2950322000a1fcea7_7.jpg

The hippies relate to the labels, the younger crowd seems to relate to the taste.

Popular poor amongst my hometown "Hobart College" students. Every bar or pub in town has it on tap and next to Blue Moon it ranks quite high in their minds. Me? Hey, we're going there anyway (via NERDS) and if they give out free samples I'm game
smile.png

So my (almost local to that) preference would be...

samuel-adams-octoberfest.gif

Love the OctoberFest da bestest!

You were doing well until you mentioned Samual Adams. FJRob1300 has stated previously that he wouldn't even wash his bike with that swill. Not that Rob washes his bike all that often.

Hooked on just the OctoberFest, but it's seasonable so limited time to obtain. And I wouldn't wash my bike with any beer, nuttin personal Rob ;)

I very rarely enjoy a can or bottle of beer. Draft IPA is my beer of choice. One of my favorites can be had in Kingston, NY at Keegan Ales. Their Hurricane Kitty is excellent and the prices are very good at the brewery's bar. The only problem is that IPAs are generally higher in alcohol than other beers so it is not conducive to riding your motorcycle.

Kalamazoo, Michigan has a growing craft brewery population. One of my favorites is Bell's. Every time I go there the list of drafts is different, but there is always a very good IPA or two. You can find their Oberon in bottles in most beer stores in Michigan, but again, I prefer the draft.

Jackie O's in Athens, Ohio is another brew pub worth a visit. Like Bell's above, their selection on tap varies each time I visit, but the IPA is always good. Athens is a college town and the bars are full of students in the evening which can be either entertaining or annoying, depending on what you like. This is right at the edge of the good riding in southeast Ohio where many of the mid-westerners like to ride. I don't know if they bottle any of their beers and I've only seen the draft at their bar.

Good stuff!

We need some from the left.

If you happen to be in Edmonton, https://www.alleykatbeer.com/location_and_hours.htm . They have a small tasting/tap room and 650ml bottles to go. No food on site.

Recently, I spent a night in Red Lodge, MT. https://redlodgeales.com/ They've got some decent beers. And a kitchen on site.

Sum bich. I can't figure out how to rename my inserted links.

Kalamazoo, Michigan has a growing craft brewery population. One of my favorites is Bell's. Every time I go there the list of drafts is different, but there is always a very good IPA or two. You can find their Oberon in bottles in most beer stores in Michigan, but again, I prefer the draft.
This. Bell's is amazing.

Another great one in MI is Founder's Brewing up in Grand Rapids, MI. You really can't go wrong with anything they make.

I also recommend Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor, MI.

3 Floyds has some amazing stuff and is in Munster, IN. I particularly like their Robert The Bruce scotch ale.

Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland, OH has some pretty amazing beers too. I love the Edmund Fitzgerald porter.

Those are just a few of the places I'd recommend. My friends and I go to brew fests and do interstate beer trips on occasion, and it's definitely the best way to find out what's out there and what you like if you're interested in trying various craft brews.

Ok those are all good suggestions but you're all wrong. My suggestion is the best one.

Ride to Santa Rosa, California. Stay at the Travelodge downtown. Walk to Russian River brewery. Drink. Stumble to the hotel. Next day, ride some loops around in northern Cali, then come back to Santa Rosa.

Repeat 2-3 days.

There are too many very good (and very strong) brews on tap to stay just one night. Although the service is lackluster, the beer makes up for it.

At Russian River you will find brews unsurpassed by anywhere in the world (although Brussels come close ... Vinnie's variety of IPA's and sour ales exceeds what you'll find in Belgium). If you consider yourself a beer connesiuer you must make this a destination.

Hey Geezer, for somebody that doesn't like beer you have the most number of posts so far. How does that work??

Crannog Ales is definitely on my radar.

This place is worthy of an overnight destination. iceharbor on Clover Island. Was there last year.

Awesome location with a decent hotel within walking distance.

Thanks jjp

Sorry Pieman but you lose points for a 12 oz glass. Real beer drinkers all know that a true pint is 20 oz. Then again you limp wristed pansies on the left coast probably couldn't hoist a true pint of draught.

Check out this display of beer & pretzels from somebody that never gets to go anywhere.....

bmw32.jpg

Now those steins are manly sized!!! If you can't go for a swim in your glass it's not big enough.