06 retract conex

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebikenutone

Reaction score
I've read numerous comments on this mod in many threads. The photos on FJRtech are of an older model and my 06 looks quite different. I can see several white connectors tucked up beyond apparent reach. Away back there. Maybe need to remove more plastic? Can any one update that mod to the 06 model before I rip out too much unnecessary plastic? Just wondering if anyone has done this on an 06 and can point me to the right connector? I have her opened up now to install blasters and a BMW type charge jack. The HID install didn't happen. Yet...? :dribble:

Much appreciate any helpful comments. Fjred

Fred,

Below are some pics that may help you. My bike is currently sitting in the garage with all of the plastic off, so your timing is excellent !

Standing on the right side of the bike - this connector (with the tape adhesive on it - I unwrapped it for the pic) is the one to disconnect. It has two wires - red and black. That white ty-wrap to the right holds the thermometer in place.

119371648-L.jpg

Same connector, higher view:

119371675-L.jpg

I was able to take this from the front of the bike - shows both halves of the connector. Sorry it's out of focus.

119371659-L.jpg

Hope this helps.

Fred,
Below are some pics that may help you. My bike is currently sitting in the garage with all of the plastic off, so your timing is excellent !

Standing on the right side of the bike - this connector (with the tape adhesive on it - I unwrapped it for the pic) is the one to disconnect. It has two wires - red and black. That white ty-wrap to the right holds the thermometer in place.

119371648-L.jpg

119371675-L.jpg

I was able to take this from the front of the bike - shows both halves of the connector. Sorry it's out of focus.

119371659-L.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kaitsdad. That helped. I found it! Now to disconnect it... :rolleyes: I'm considering a foredom with a saw to cut the tab on the connector. Without removing the front fairing and screen mechanism, I can see no way to free it. Both ends seem to be quite secure. I've been wiggling and prying with a small screw driver and wedging it in the gaps to little avail. I thought I'd check with you just in case there is an easier way to free/disconnect that #*&@&!!! connector. :glare: There seems to be a relay glued to the fairing frame right in front of it. I will remove it before I go in there with a saw. Is there another way? I'm not trusting my judgement here, sorry. And sorry it took so long to get back to you. Sincerely, Fjred

Thanks Kaitsdad. That helped. I found it! Now to disconnect it... :rolleyes: I'm considering a foredom with a saw to cut the tab on the connector. Without removing the front fairing and screen mechanism, I can see no way to free it. Both ends seem to be quite secure. I've been wiggling and prying with a small screw driver and wedging it in the gaps to little avail. I thought I'd check with you just in case there is an easier way to free/disconnect that #*&@&!!! connector. :glare: There seems to be a relay glued to the fairing frame right in front of it. I will remove it before I go in there with a saw. Is there another way? I'm not trusting my judgement here, sorry. And sorry it took so long to get back to you. Sincerely, Fjred
It's all about squeezing. Push the connector together to remove any stress on the clip - and then squeeze on the flats - then pull. Keep at it - it will come apart.

It's all about squeezing. Push the connector together to remove any stress on the clip - and then squeeze on the flats - then pull. Keep at it - it will come apart.
Thanks again Kaitsdad. I'll wrestle with it tomorrow. Golly your 20 is close by! Can you pull that connector with substantial force to gain any slack without damaging something else? Darn thing just doesn't want to give. I think I can get a needle nose in there. And I'll dive in in the morning. Happy New Year BTW! Sincerely, Fjred :rolleyes:

Thanks again Kaitsdad. I'll wrestle with it tomorrow. Golly your 20 is close by! Can you pull that connector with substantial force to gain any slack without damaging something else? Darn thing just doesn't want to give. I think I can get a needle nose in there. And I'll dive in in the morning. Happy New Year BTW! Sincerely, Fjred :rolleyes:
:dribble: Hi Kaitsdad,

Fjred here again. I'm having difficulty still. Wondering if I'm prying the wrong side of the connector. That last pic was so blurry I can't make out the colors of wires or shapes as they came apart. Can you email me with your phone # possibly? My email is [email protected]. I'm back to the saw idea and am quite frustrated at this point and I never want that retract again anyway. Thanks again and so sorry to burden you with what should by all rights be an easy thing to do. Sincerely, Fred :( :(

:dribble: Hi Kaitsdad,

Fjred here again. I'm having difficulty still. Wondering if I'm prying the wrong side of the connector. That last pic was so blurry I can't make out the colors of wires or shapes as they came apart. Can you email me with your phone # possibly? My email is [email protected]. I'm back to the saw idea and am quite frustrated at this point and I never want that retract again anyway. Thanks again and so sorry to burden you with what should by all rights be an easy thing to do. Sincerely, Fred :( :(
:D Never mind. I finally got it. Had a friend by and pleaded. Seems I was prying the wrong half and might have been doing that still. But we were finally successful. Thanks for your patience. Now I need to finish off the blasters and charging port. Still might be up for a ride or a lunch some time. I spend most weekdays at CSUF and commute daily on the FJR. Might be nice to share war stories. Whew!! Now to wrap her up. I hate working on my vehicles as I feel crippled when they are not running. Back to work. And TNX for the coaching. Sincerely, Fjred

I noticed the 2 wires to the connector in the pic is red and black. On my 2006A the same 2 wires were red and red with black stripe. The one with the stripe was the hot lead and I used it for switched power to a relay to my power distribution block..

119371675-L.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pic. I unpluged mine while I had the bike apart. I had forgoten all about it untill you posted.

What's that wire end sticking up just to the right of the plug? Is that the air temp sensor?

Thanks for the great pics, I just finished doing my 07. I will add that when you look in from the top, you can see the bigger connector with 6 pins, and just to its left is a black plastic tube/ sleave that has wires coming out of it, but the smaller connector or you want, is not visable, it is hiding just behind that black sleave. I shoved my fingers in there and was pleasantly surprised to find it.

also, the larger half, the half that that smaller one fits inside of, is the one that you need to squeeze, it has a pretty distinct, simple release on one of the two larger flats sides. I just got my fingers on either side of the larger side, squeezed not all that hard, and I could feel the release give, and then the smaller side of the connector pulled right out with no effort.

Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Kaitsdad. Most of my research seemed to indicate Gen I bikes. Your pictures help me find the connector on my new '08 behind the connector, left of the air temp sensor. Almost pulled the white/black connector shown more or less underneath the air temp (but I didn't). Suffice to say it took me seconds to disconnect thanks to this forum [just squeezed together with my fingers & pulled apart - no sweat].

Now I just need to find the one that's the jumper & use it for the switch trigger on the fuse block! I believe the on Gen I bikes its a circular jumper, but on the '08 it appears to be within a harness. I love & hate this stuff at the same time LOL! Be glad to be finished.

What's that wire end sticking up just to the right of the plug? Is that the air temp sensor?
Correct.
Thanks to your post, Fjred's post several above, and Kaitsdad's pics, I FINALLY found & disconnected that retract connector. My new '08 is only 2 weeks old, and has been disassembled for 75% of the time trying to fix this. The squeezing write up finally solved the problem. I'm so happy, I can't sleep, note the time posted. Now on the the other problems (read my 1st post under new members on Oct 29, the one with the frowny face).

RichardS

Fred,

119371648-L.jpg

119371675-L.jpg

119371659-L.jpg

Hope this helps.
Hey guys,

Sorry to have another post for all of you guys to answer on this topic!

I promise I won't ask about tires, oil, or oil level checks..OK? :yahoo:

This is the first mod I did after getting the new '08 FJR in the garage this last Thursday.

I did manage to get the A B C D panels off and unplug the auto-retract plug....and have a look-around planning routing for farkles, etc.

My question for you all concerning the plug I just disconnected:

While I did manage to uncouple the jumper plug, I see all of you seem to have your jumper plug "in hand" after the disconnect. However my jumper side of the plug is being held to the harness somehow.

Were any of you guys "jumpers" either taped into the harness, or tied in somehow?

It's so friggin' cold in the garage I want to wait to look further.

And, yes, I did disconnect the correct plug (the 2 wire one...red-black wires). :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jeff

... However my jumper side of the plug is being held to the harness somehow.Were any of you guys "jumpers" either taped into the harness, or tied in somehow?

Thanks,

Jeff
Yes, seems tied in really tightly. It can rock a little, but other than that it won't budge.