Setting Up A 2013 FJR for LD Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuey

Reaction score
First, I have no previous FJR or Yamaha experience of any kind.

I want to buy a new FJR and let my previous three ST1300s become fond memories as I venture out into this new riding adventure. My only, repeat, ONLY, reservation before writing the check is: what do I need to add to the 2013 for it to fit a 6'2" rider.

Sitting on the bike at the dealership last week (wish I had snapped a pic of the VIN plat to add to another discussion), my bare knees (no riding gear) are only a hairs breath away from resting on plastic and with the seat set to it's max height, the forward lean will be killing my 65 year old back in short order. I know the seat has to go and enjoyed seeing the before and after pics of Warchild's Mayer replacement.

So, suggestions/guidance on what a taller FJR neophyte needs to get on the road with leg room and in an upright position? Equipment and suggested place to obtain it as well as any/all guidance appreciated.

Shuey

PS: . . . for couse, once I can actually fit on this bike, I'll need to start the serious farkling: 2 sets aux lights, 2 GPSs, heated gear outlet, aux tank, top box . . .
smile.png

Wild1, Shuey is an IBR competitor and serious LD rally rider. Lots of these guys run multiple GPS units.

Shuey, I'm fairly new to the FJR myself but if you run a quick search on the forum you'll find a couple sources for highway peg mounting systems that will allow you to stretch out your legs. Motorcycle Larry and Wild Bill come to mind. Powerlet makes several outlet add-ons but I'm sure you're already familiar with their product line. Handlebar risers are available from multiple sources as well. I've moved mine up 1 inch just to get some weight off of my wrists and I'm a few years younger and several inches shorter than you.

Hope this little bit helps you out.

You already know what to do about the seat. The same fix you did on your ST1300 is what you need for the FJR.

Helibars has a couple of options for risers. There is also the MV Motoradd risers. There is a very good thread on the MV riser on this forum.

Windshields... You already know there is no "One Size fits All". Search, search and Research. No perfect windshield, a bunch of real good ones though.

So, since this post really did not provide the concrete answers you need, I offer the best advice I can. I offer it with no meanness, malice or sarcasm. I truly wish you the best and I am really glad you are here.

Do a FJRforum Google search.

Get a Russell.

Shuey,

Get the MV Motoradd Riser, Russell Day Long Saddle, whatever GPS mount tickles your fancy, a windshield you will select by trying several and you should be good to go. I added the foam slipon grip covers, a set of Big Daddy's Bad Ass Bar Ends. I will add a set of air wings and I am set. Maybe not for Iron Butt riding but more than ready to tackle my annual 1300 miler to Moab. Perhaps next summer I will put a new Ohlins in the rear. I have been very happy with the front suspension vs my old 05's which I had Progressive do.

I want to buy a new FJR and let my previous three ST1300s become fond memories as I venture out into this new riding adventure. My only, repeat, ONLY, reservation before writing the check is: what do I need to add to the 2013 for it to fit a 6'2" rider.
6'4" here and have 150K+ on my '05. While I did have a set of peg lowerers for several years...I didn't like how they rubbed in the occasional corner and removed them. A set of highway pegs, Russell seat, and perhaps a set of risers are the three components (in decreasing order of important) that helped me make the bike truly IBR level for being tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'-2" also.

If you upgrade the suspension, GP Suspension is putting together a group buy for the 2013's. They have a couple of systems in testing for the 2013. You'll want to call them and ask.

If you can get a shelf for the bike, it might help organize the farkles and electronics. Russell Day long seat, and others have said the triple clamp replacement to move the bars up and back. I prefer the V-Stream wind screen but these are something you need to find someone who has a different one and see if they will set you try it to see if it works. I hated the battleax tires and switched to Michelin PR2's. I love them, great wet weather tire, and long mileage even when pushing the sportier side of things. I usually get at least 6500 miles two up towing the trailer.

I did the canyon cages by MC Enterprises, give you mounting points for highway pegs, and aux light brackets. (search Fairlaner's thread on it, they used his 2013 as the test bed for development. He has pictures of it on it's side. He can give you more about it.)

If you want to increase the gas tank size, dirttracker30 on the forum has modified stock tanks to increase their capacity to upwards of 9.5 to 10.5 gallons. I have one and love it.

Warchild has some good info on wiring the FJR for the additional electrical loads. But if you have a LDR background you are probably very familiar with doing modifications already.

Just a couple thoughts, added to what others have supplied.

I'm 6'3" with proportionately long arms & legs. And back issues. My other bike is a Hondapotamus.

I can't offer experience beyond sitting on a 2013 and how it differs from Gens 1&2. I will say, however, that I find my 2003 fits like a glove.

The first time I rode her, I did 420 miles with no problems. I've done several 400+ days since and always get off the bike wanting more.

The Highway pegs are useful for a brief change of position, then it's back on the regular pegs. With our long legs, you won't spend an hour on the highway pegs.

I'm not sure which of the various 'bar risers/bar backs' I have but, compared to the test ride I took on an unfarkled 2010, it's a different bike.

As far as the saddle goes, the RDL (Russell Day Long) seems to be the favorite FJR saddle for distance riding. My 2003 has only been 'modified', with some gel in the back half, and it works okay. Unlike our "inseam challenged" brethren, I sit farther back in the saddle.

Hope these points help.

Feedback really appreciated . . . truly.

After reading all of Warchild's Evil 13 thread and Fairliner's comments, I guess one of the reasons for this thread is . . . what works AND will work on the 2013 Gen III?

It appears that not all that fit previous models will fit on this new one.

Redfish: My seat fix for all three of my STs was to have the seat Spencerized with the LD package. That was all I needed. I'll be checking out the Russel and the Mayer (spelling ?).

Ignacio: So . . . is your Russell seat thicker to increase the pedal to seat top distance? Contoured to move the natural seating position rearward?

Lot's of good pointers here and I'm very interested, but . . . first, I've got to be able to ride the thing and that means accommodating longer legs.

I'll start making calls tomorrow. Thanks all for getting me off to a good start.

Shuey

PS: OK, I figured out how to add my photo, but . . . where can I input a screen name to replace the "FNG" title?

Ignacio: So . . . is your Russell seat thicker to increase the pedal to seat top distance? Contoured to move the natural seating position rearward?
It's not that I asked for or purposely sought that...it's a Russell that fits...period. That said, I think it might be about 1/2" taller than stock.

Shuey,

I believe you're FNG until so many posts. I'm still an FNG too. Kinda cool being an FNG somewhere on the net. I haven't been an FNG since just after Al Gore invented the internet. It feels good writing FNG. :)

I'm picking up a 2013 this Saturday from Honda/Yamaha of Memphis. Good deal over there - $12,999. Not sure if they have any left, but you may want to call them.

I'm 6'2" w/ a 33-34" inseam. After reading through a bunch of stuff on here I will likely make the following changes...

* Definitely a Russell since my ass has never met a stock seat it can tolerate.

* Peg Lowers - Perhaps the ones from MCL.

* Bar risers - Perhaps the ones from MCL.

I'm not a big fan of highway pegs, but may have to give them a go on the FJR. I'm going to ride the bike and let my body dictate these mods. I'd love to get comfortable on the FJR. The 05 I had helped redefine high-speed touring.

It will be interesting to see what you wind up doing to yours.

I am replacing my driver footpegs with a set of these. I have a size 16 foot and the stock pegs are just too dang narrow. The extra width I think will allow for a little extra comfort without the feel of standing on the edge of a 2x4 all day long.

6898d3967cc1f213c6560d11118c72b3.jpg

So . . . is your Russell seat thicker to increase the pedal to seat top distance? Contoured to move the natural seating position rearward?
Yes. RDL with instructions to the builder what you want (up/back/both). Bar risers (if wanted). Audio (if wanted). Tank bag (I consider this essential. A shelf has been handy for me but some do without.

And an organizing method...

I use the Eagle Creek Cubes. I had them recommended to me and wondered why I'd not learned about them sooner. Cubes for clothes in the panier liners. Remove a cube and the rest of your stuff doesn't fall inward like sand into a hole. Makes I/O into your storage much quicker. I use a quarter cube to put all the wires that support my powered tank back in a single place that doesn't tangle other things in there. I can then use Quarter Cubes for other things in the tank bag. Half and Full Cubes in the saddle bag liners for clothing, etc. When off the clock, a whole day's clothes fit into a cube. Yank it from the pack and you have your change. quick and easy.

https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packithalfcube/d/1080_c_212

I've had several Bill Mayer seats and now one Russell DayLong.

The DL sits 'taller' due to the Wings.

On the DL I can flat foot one foot and tippy toe the other.

On the BM, I can easily flat foot both feet.

Oh, and the FJR has two position seat. Is it possible the one you sat was in low position? I think that's the default from factory.

BTW, no comparison between the two seats - and the BM I've had back 3x for re-fit.

The DL I bought used and it's just perfect as is.

Good to have you here on the forum, Shuey. After seeing your purty face at the awards party, and knowing what you had been through, I kind of said to myself this guy's a Ryder!
punk.gif

I found the Helibars Triple combo'd with RDL was a very good to me (Gen 2 and 5'11). This gives two threaded holes as well. The Ram Bone sold on this site was a fantastic spot for GPS for most rallies last year. Went to a shelf this year with multiples and haven't looked back. Not sure one has been designed or cut for Gen3.

With your knees there you'll want to change to high position and can add a couple more inches on RDL as already stated.

Welcome!

Feedback really appreciated . . . truly.
Redfish: My seat fix for all three of my STs was to have the seat Spencerized with the LD package. That was all I needed. I'll be checking out the Russel and the Mayer (spelling ?).
Good God! It never occurred to me that you were not using a Russell Day Long. All that IBR experience on a Spencerized seat? You are tough. Taking nothing away from Spencer, he makes a lot of improvement for the money, nothing beats a true custom seat.

Russell, either of the Mayers, and now the Laam Custom, any of those guys can help you out.

Good luck. After you get a Russell (or any true Custom) you may reconsider and enter another IBR.

To add to everyone's feedback, I have the Heli risers. I believe the Gen II Heli and MCL brand risers should fit the 2013. The Heli made a big difference, but after trying Auburn's MCL, I would do the MCL next time around, as it positions the bars that much higher up and farther back than the Heli. Not a ton, but the extra 1/2-1 inch or so was more comfortable than the Heli.

I have the Russell and can't imagine a better LD seat.

I also have the Canyon cages and Garuald pegs. They work and put your legs out a bit farther off the sides of the bike then using standard pegs in the usual mounting location (lower and forward of the stock pegs). What I like about them is that they don't force your legs to angle in.

Lastly, while I would do the suspension mods Auburn mentioned because they completely transform the FJR in the twisties, I wonder how they'd work for LD riding if that is your main pursuit. It's pretty firm over stock, and not being an LD rider myself, I don't know what kind of setup is preferred for LD riding.