Crescent City or Grants Pass dealers for tire replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcobb

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be making a trip in a couple weeks and based on my calculations will be needing a rear tire in the Crescent City or Grants Pass areas. Searches have come up with a couple options in Grants Pass, but nothing in Crescent City.

Anyone know of any options other than Grants Pass Suzuki?

Anyone dealt with Grants Pass Suzuki? What was your experience?

There is a Rapley Motorsports in Grants Pass as well, but they appear to be a car and motorcycle type place.

Any info would help with my planning.

Thanks.

Not sure of your route but if you are in the Nipomo area and are going to need a tire that soon maybe you ought to start with a new one before you leave. I'm about 200 miles north east of Grants pass. If you want to ship me a tire I will mount it and send you on your way if that's any help.

I always leave on new rubber and burn off the old ones on day rides.

Not sure of your route but if you are in the Nipomo area and are going to need a tire that soon maybe you ought to start with a new one before you leave. I'm about 200 miles north east of Grants pass. If you want to ship me a tire I will mount it and send you on your way if that's any help.I always leave on new rubber and burn off the old ones on day rides.
Yeah, thought of that and still might depending on what I learn. Thanks for the offer but I'll be heading east from there and don't really have the time to venture more north.

I've already got a front and a rear sitting in my garage that I pulled off prior to trips and I always seem to have a trip planned prior to getting to a point of using them so thought I might try planning a tire change in route....we'll see what happens.

Since you are heading North. If you are passing anywhere near Santa Clara I recommend Santa Clara Cycles. Best prices on new tires with free mounting and balancing if the rim is off the bike and $30 if you ride in and they remove the rim for mounting.

https://www.santaclaracycle.com/

I've already got a front and a rear sitting in my garage that I pulled off prior to trips and I always seem to have a trip planned prior to getting to a point of using them so thought I might try planning a tire change in route....we'll see what happens.
I don't understand your logic, changing a tire in the middle of a trip with an unknown source is one of the biggest PIA there is, not to mention time and cost. Anything you save by using up your tires is going to be offset by the cost of buying tires from a dealer and mounting costs.....assuming the dealer even has the tires you want. If your current tires have a lot of life left you would probably save time and $$$ by mounting new tires before you leave and re-installing the old ones when you get back. I always start a trip with new tires or tires with enough tread that they will go 50 percent further than I plan to ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to keep in mind: TAX in Cali, NO Tax in Oregon.
no.gif

you mention going east from there, Medford is only another 20 miles and is a much larger city. motorcycle super store is based out of there, but I am unsure if the local store is even open anymore as it wasn't in the same location last time I was through there.

I don't understand your logic, changing a tire in the middle of a trip with an unknown source is one of the biggest PIA there is, not to mention time and cost. Anything you save by using up your tires is going to be offset by the cost of buying tires from a dealer and mounting costs.....assuming the dealer even has the tires you want. If your current tires have a lot of life left you would probably save time and $$$ by mounting new tires before you leave and re-installing the old ones when you get back. I always start a trip with new tires or tires with enough tread that they will go 50 percent further than I plan to ride.
Good feedback. You're probably right from a cost perspective, especially since I mount my own tires.

Another thing to keep in mind: TAX in Cali, NO Tax in Oregon.
no.gif
Oooh, thats a point to consider
punk.gif

you mention going east from there, Medford is only another 20 miles and is a much larger city. motorcycle super store is based out of there, but I am unsure if the local store is even open anymore as it wasn't in the same location last time I was through there.
Thanks, I'll check out what is available and make some calls.

you mention going east from there, Medford is only another 20 miles and is a much larger city.
When I read the original post, I immediately thought about Medford for a tire change. There is no Yamaha dealer there, but there is Hansen's Motorcycles. They're a rather well-known BMW dealer, so they stock all of the usual sport-touring accessories and tires. They also sell/service Triumph and Ducati, so their shop should have plenty of tools that would fit the FJR...not just the goofy tools that BMWs usually require.

The staff there is really friendly and helpful. I passed through there on a tour just over a year ago on my way to Vancouver Island. My headlight hi/lo switch quit working near San Francisco, leaving me with no headlight (on my '99 R1100RT-P w/150K miles). I called Hansen's from SFO and ordered the switch...they'd have it by the next morning. I rolled into Medford at 10am the next day and the part was waiting at the counter. The parts guy was apologetic that they didn't have space in their shop to let me work on the bike, but they had no problem with me pulling my fairings to replace the headlight switch (and the oil pressure switch, which was also failing) right in front of their building. I tucked it close under the awning to avoid the rain. You know you're having a good time on a trip when you end up in a dealers lot like this:

Give'em a call. I'm sure they will be able to help out.

Thanks for all the replies. Common sense has prevailed and I'll be putting on fresh rubber before I leave. This makes sense being I mount my own tires and get good deals thru the internet. I probably would've been fine, especially considering the last recommendation of Hansens in Medford, but the extra cost and time lost to my schedule, and the potential for a problem, however slight, convinced me to just go ahead and mount fresh rubber. I'll just have to do more local riding to use up my "extra" tires I now have sitting in the garage
bike.gif

Cheers

Randy

the extra cost and time lost to my schedule, and the potential for a problem, however slight, convinced me to just go ahead and mount fresh rubber. I'll just have to do more local riding to use up my "extra" tires I now have sitting in the garage
bike.gif
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should re-install used tires because everyone knows that can be very hazardous. You should ship those tires to me for proper disposal and peace of mind.
smile.png

the extra cost and time lost to my schedule, and the potential for a problem, however slight, convinced me to just go ahead and mount fresh rubber. I'll just have to do more local riding to use up my "extra" tires I now have sitting in the garage
bike.gif
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should re-install used tires because everyone knows that can be very hazardous. You should ship those tires to me for proper disposal and peace of mind.
smile.png
Most certainly good man. What address? Being safe is primary and I certainly don't want to fall prey to the MSF crash statistics with a listed cause of "using re-installed tires"
weirdsmiley.gif

I'd be glad to ship them Tuesday for a hamburger today
flirt.gif

bike.gif
smile.png
Most certainly good man. What address? Being safe is primary and I certainly don't want to fall prey to the MSF crash statistics with a listed cause of "using re-installed tires"
weirdsmiley.gif

I'd be glad to ship them Tuesday for a hamburger today
flirt.gif
Sounds like a plan, I had a really juicy hamburger prepared to send to you on the Hamburger Express....but I was 5 minutes late on the shipment so I had to go to Plan B.....I ate it for you. You can still ship me the tires.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator: