Musings of an aging FJR rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
Eight years ago, I bought my first FJR, a brand new 2005 model. I had a number of great rides on that bike. I loved it so much that after 42,000 miles (and one Iron Butt SS1000 certificate) I could not resist the temptation to trade it for the 2013 model that now sits in my garage after a 3500 mile solo round trip to the West Coast. I got heat exhaustion on the way back in southern Arizona, thank you. It was my fault of course in a hostile environment that left little margin for error. That did not make me feel any younger or smarter.

I was 48 in 2005. I'm 56 now. I am in good overall health, and I try to work out regularly, but I am fighting a set of bad genes. Orthopedic and weight issues haunt my family, so I am swimming upstream. Time is not on my side. I am wiser than I was in 2005, thanks to many chronic errors in thinking that I have worked hard to correct. I am starting to feel my age physically and mentally despite my efforts to push back with diet and exercise.

Then there's my wife. God bless her. I love her so. She learned to ride (I mean got her license) back in 2011. She has a bike but her attitude toward riding is more one of fear than respect for the process and the machine. She sees riding as something we can do "together" not a sport or hobby she wants to pursue on her own. She likes to ride but it makes her (and me) extremely anxious. She's a great partner but it exhausts me to take her riding, with me on my bike and she on hers. We do much better two up, but not on the FJR. We have been on two trips together on the 2005 FJR. They did not go very well. Comfort issues predominated for her. She is 2 years younger than I am and while she has a far better gene pool to work with, she does not exercise at all.

Back in 2010, we flew to Phoenix, rented a Gold Wing and rode to the Grand Canyon, Zion NP etc. We had a glorious time. I loved the Gold Wing for all the reasons people love Gold Wings, she loved how comfortable, roomy and user friendly it was. It stuck with us, but I had it in mind that I could not, would not, give up my FJR. I don't want more than one bike. I did that and it's too much hassle. Several years ago, in a nod toward the conceit that I could remain young forever, I had two bikes. The other one was a Honda Blackbird. Fun yes, but a step in the opposite direction of the one I am now pondering.

You see where this is headed. I am toying with the idea of selling my nearly new FJR (now with 5,000 miles on the odo), selling her bike, and getting a true touring bike for us to use, be it Gold Wing, Victory or dare I say, K1600GTL. The obvious choice would be a Wing, Comfort and togetherness with the wife instead of storming around the nation solo on an FJR, in other words.

I fear I am thinking too hard about this, but I tend to see the FJR as a proxy for my desire to remain a "young man." It does everything you could ask of a motorcycle but on the long haul trips, however, between the riding position, the wind protection, and the tendency to break all speed limit laws, I sometimes just want a bike that is oriented more toward comfort and calm. I have added Heli Bars, a tall Cee Bailey wind shield, and a Corbin touring saddle. The recent trip out west took it out of me. I averaged 575 miles a day, which may be nothing to some of you (younger) guys but it's a stretch for me anymore.

I don't know why I am agonizing so much over this. I like taking my wife two up on Gold Wing, but I won't do it anymore on an FJR. She is simply not going to ride her bike anywhere long distance and I don't want to get into trailering two bikes somewhere just so she can ride her bike timidly and make me a nervous wreck at 8,000 feet somewhere in Colorado. I do want to spend more time with her on a motorcycle just not on an FJR and just not while she is riding her own bike (She scares me to death when she rides her own bike, let's just say it). I feel awful leaving her behind when I go on a long trip by myself. We are both acutely aware of how fleeting life is and we do want to spend as much time as possible together. If I needed a trip without her, say when my older brother comes to town with his bike (a very rare occurrence anymore) she would understand that and the Wing could obviously be put to good use solo.

I feel that if I give up the FJR, I am somehow surrendering something of my youth and masculinity (which time, entropy and gravity are taking from me anyway). I admit I love the FJR's ability to pass a line of six cars a time without breaking a sweat, but I also like to feel like I have not been caned at the end of the day's ride. There's no amount of farkling at my age that can overcome a family history of weight challenges and multiple hip, shoulder and knee transplants. Did I mention that I have bad genes?

Am I the only one who wrestles with these issues?

Thoughtful opinions welcomed.

Respectfully submitted....

Buy the K1600 GTL and keep the FJR for a while longer. Definitely a K-Bike in my future but will always have the FJR.

I recently went through the same thing. My wife was in a pretty bad accident on her bike and is not happy riding her own now. The FJR will haul both of us but once I'm aboard there is not much room left for her. she is jammed against the top box and I'm half way up the tank singing soprano.

Enter the Goldwing. Sold her Sportster and life is good. she is comfy and I am happy knowing she is with me instead of wondering where she is on her bike. The wing won't pass cars like the FJR but it's no slouch either and they handle far better than you think.

Go for the wing and get a play bike for those solo rides. I'm keeping the FJR for my solo ride because it's old and has a lot of miles on it. With any luck I'll be able to do some more Iron Butt stuff with the FJR.

Just to stir the pot. The wing will probably outlast at least 4 Beemers and service is easy for the owner. There is a Honda dealer in at least every county in the country.
tonguesmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the Wing is perfect for your togetherness. Spousal comfort is all important.

If you can afford it, keep the Wing for trips together and the FJR, or other bike for solo trips.

If you can't afford that...then you have decisions to make.

Option 1 - Trips together in a car, motorcycle trips alone on an FJR or other bike

Option 2 - Sell the FJR and ride the WING

Aging is an issue I am starting to look at...but my fitness will go a long way towards how long I will be able to MCY ride. Take petey...he is 20 years older than me, but in much better shape than I am.

I think your path is fairly clear, assuming your Spousal Unit concurs......

Unload the wife's bike, score a Wingabego for your 2-up touring, and keep the Gen III for those periods when your Inner Youth beckons you to go tear up some asphalt.

Mind you, this doesn't mean you can forego trying to address those health/weight/genetic issues... those are still crucially important.

I'm 68 , Wife and I no longer ride 2 up because of failing leg strength.. Love my FJR but for fun trips we have a 86 Mustang GT Convertible which does nicely . Pulls trailer with the FJR and old Triumph Bonniville just fine...Sold all of our more exotic sports cars and settled on the Mustang from a practical standpoint. The 427 Cobra kit car was a real hoot and a cop magnet but we decided to let it go, the others were just dust catchers as driving them was really impractical too..In October we will become Great Grandparents to the first boy since my younger brother and we really want to spoil him as long as we can..Still having a Happy Childhood...

Good luck with your dilemma. We all go thru it at some point in our lives. If you mull it over long enough you will probably come to the right decision for both you and the wife.

If I were in the market for a 2-up bike, I would be taking a hard look at a Wing Lite......the F6B. Kind of funky looks but the ride reviews are great from both the pilot and passenger. You give up the huge and heavy trunk (which could be partially replaced by a soft trunk) and reverse gear but you get a light handling and nimble touring bike that is very easy for the passenger to mount and dismount.

Good luck with your dilemma. We all go thru it at some point in our lives. If you mull it over long enough you will probably come to the right decision for both you and the wife.
But if you mull it over too long you will miss out on a lot of life which, as you mentioned, is short and sweet. Sell her bike. Hold onto the FJR for now. Get the Wing and see how you both like it. Ride it 2-up and ride it solo to see how it feels both ways. It's always nice to have a second filly in the stable for different types of riding. But just do it. B)

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

From your well-written post it is clear that you still have acute hearing. Listen to the voices, they are wise:

"Tempus Fugit."

Even those of us with "good genes" need to remember that time and tide wait for no man. Do what you can, while you can.

Talk it over with your spouse. Get the Wing, and ride together when you can.

(Says the guy with a 10 year old Hondapotamus and a 10 year old FJR in the garage.)

Carpe Diem!

We are in the latter stages of voluntarily downsizing our life and belongings. We were at the point where our possessions were owning us. So having/insuring/maintaining two bikes (for me to ride) is not something I want or need. Add to this her trepidation, and I need to just figure out whether it is time to swap the FJR for something more comfort-oriented purpose built for two-up riding but capable of solo riding.

A Wing can still be ridden hard, no question about it.

I had fun following Mr. Fairlaner back in 2011 on the way up to SF on the day the world was supposed to end...

...the tendency to break all speed limit laws...
You have noticed those buttons on the left instrument cluster, right? It's a new-fangled thing they call "cruise control."
winksmiley02.gif
(sorry...couldn't resist)

It sounds to me like you're trying very hard to convince yourself that it's okay to trade in the FJR for the 'wing. If it helps at all, let me say - it's okay! My 1 long tour so far on the FJR was spent, for the most part, trailing my buddy on his '03 'wing through many twisty (and some very twisty) mountain roads. No question I had more passing power, etc., but I do believe that if he wanted to drop me in the twisties he could easily have done so even if it wasn't for my unusual reluctance to exceed the speed limit. Now granted, I just got back into riding and have a new bike so I'm far from the most proficient rider out there, but still...

I rode the 'wing for about an hour just to see what it was like. Nice bike. Not for me, but nice. No shame at all if it does more of what you need/want a bike to do than the FJR does. I say go for it.

I agree with Wheaton. Unless you are an exceptional rider and ride at your limits (and the limits of the bike) you can have as much fun with the Wing as with the FJR. I traded my 1800 Wing for an '06 FJR because my wife quit riding due to health issues and I thought I wanted more performance while riding solo. Although I love the FJR and have over 75,000 miles on it, I honestly don't ride it any harder/faster than I did the Wing and am equally comfortable at the end of a long day. Maybe think about taking the Streetmasters school or something similar to convince yourself that the Wing will perform. No amount of extra speed or "enhanced image" will make up for time NOT spent with your wife.

I want to start from a slightly different aspect - about your wife. The one you write so lovingly and respectfully about. So CONGRATULATIONS on knowing that you have such a friend and partner, YOUR attitude, and I'm sure she feels the same about you!

Ermmm - motorcycles - right.
rolleyes.gif
Back to motorcycles. . . .

Rather than jumping straight into a Wing, I'd suggest trying everything possible and trying those bikes 2-up. It'll give the two of you lots to talk about and she will be buying in. Obviously, the K16 is an option. Or she - and you - at this point might prefer the slow rumble of a full dress Harley, Victory, or even a Guzzi. There certainly is a time in life to enjoy a more relaxed ride.

If none of them fit, you already know that the Wing fits, there will be plenty to choose from, and you will have gotten to a shared decision.

My take on this is; sell wife’s bike as she shouldn’t be riding if she is uncomfortable riding it (we ride for fun, right & it sounds like she is not having fun). Keep the FJR for your riding solo as it is a great compromise (there are no perfect bikes). Get a Wing for your 2 up riding (so both of you can be comfortable). Get a good, easy to load, motorcycle specific trailer, for when you both want to ride in an area that is far away but either of you don’t care to ride all the way out there (nice to hop in the car to go for supper after a good 2 up riding day).

I say this cause I’ve been there, done that. At 20 years older than you I can relate to you on all counts. Wife never had her own bike but learned to ride in her teens when we married. Took many long vacation rides on our CX500 w/tent and had fun. Went to a Wing in the 90s for our 2 up rides. Kept my standard/sport touring bikes for my daily ride. The trailer solved her hate for having to ride thru Hotlanta on the way to the mountains.

Just me here now so said bye to the Wing. Get in shape, loose weight, NAW! One of these years I might have to get a Spyder, but for now, I’m still having fun on my ’13 FJR…Later,,,De
smile.png

Totally get where you're coming from - get the Wing and enjoy everything it offers. Respectfully though to you and the rest of the crew here, I wouldn't see the FJR as my 2nd bike if I was Wingin' it as my primary ride. I would go for something smaller, lighter and more (dare I say it) fun!

Bugnatr has his KTM990, I've got an FZ1, and there are dozens of other bikes that are ergonomically manageable but would seem to be less work than an FJR for enjoying a 2 wheeled ride that doesn't take you 100's of miles from home.