Avon Storm 3D X-M

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
{This topic is NERPTy material for sure, but I'll leave this thread in this Tech Section for now while I report on this new tire}

There is a new follow-on tire to the beloved Avon Storm II Ultras.

Avon North America has contacted me and ask me to do an evaluation on them from an Endurance Rider's perspective. I told them the only real complaint we (Endurance Riding community) seem to have with the Storm II Ultras was a noticeably less treadlife than the model they replaced, the old Avon Azzaros. Otherwise, the Avon Storms were/are hands down one of the best wet tires on the market, and has pretty damn killer dry properties, as well. And not brutally expensive. And typically available. All these things make the tire very attractive, we just want our treadlife back.

Avon tells me that is *exactly* what there are trying to address with this new Storm 3D X-M tire... greater treadlife.

So.. we shall see.

We shall see starting tonight... I depart for the 600-mile dash to the Start Line of the Big Sky Rally tonight after midnight. I should have a good 3000 miles on these tires by the time I return:

Here is the rear Avon Storm 3D X-M tire...

AV66rearTread.jpg

Left is the new Storm 3D, right is the old Storm II Ultra... obviously a vast difference in tread patterns, and I am told vastly different tire composition:

RearCompare.jpg

The front Storm 3D is just as different from its predecessor, with a tread design that should reduced the Storm II Ultra's tendency towards scalloping.

FrontCompare.jpg

New rear tire designation is the Avon AV66 - Storm 3D:

AV66rear.jpg

I'll update the thread as I get more miles on the tires...
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Was gonna buy a new set or Michelin PR 2's or 3's or a combo of the two... but this review may change my mind. Looking forward to the results!

I'm very happy with mine. Got about 2K miles on them now. I like them better than the PR's and running lower psi, 38psi front and rear with no heavy feeling in the front. They also feel great on wet pavement too.

Very interested in this.

So far the storm has been my favorite tire. Really liked the ride and input from the tire, just got a little frustrated with unpredictable tire life.

Switched to the ultra II and hated it! Maybe it was just my tire, but I had terrible transitions from the hard center to the soft sides. That transition seemed to really grab and track any imperfection in the road. I also had a couple close calls with traction when up on the hard center (medium speeds). Took the tires off after 2500 miles.

Riding on Bridgestone Battleaxe 023 GT's now, but miss the control and confidence I felt with the first storms.

My 023's are pretty new but I pulled a nail out last week. So now I'm nervously running on a sticky string and shopping for a rear!

I sort of recall the storms having a reputation for being hard to balance, at least maybe the earliest ones. so reporting the amount and location of wheel weight you have on your wheels with these new 3D's would be of some interest.

The last tire Avon made that was worth anything were the Azzaros. Every other one went to hell very quickly in my experiences on a BMW K1200 LT. Never tried on the FJR as it is as hard on front tires as the K 1200 was so did not see the need.

Interested in this review as well, in terms of ride, handling, and mileage.

KIEEFER--What was your logic in running the tires softer than spec? I do that on lighter bikes than the FJR, mainly if riding solo or on the track, but on this bike, I've stuck with the factory recommendation. My concern about running soft would be increased heat and accelerated wear.

I ran the Avons for a lot of miles and was VERY happy with them, especially in the rain, but got tired (sorry) of seeing the front tire scallop so I went to Bridgestones.

I would gladly use them again if they are better than the older models.

I am looking forward to your report on the new models Dale so please keep us posted.

I sort of recall the storms having a reputation for being hard to balance, at least maybe the earliest ones. so reporting the amount and location of wheel weight you have on your wheels with these new 3D's would be of some interest.
I loved the fast turn in but had 2 sets that were out of round, poor QC.

Interested in this review as well, in terms of ride, handling, and mileage.
KIEEFER--What was your logic in running the tires softer than spec? I do that on lighter bikes than the FJR, mainly if riding solo or on the track, but on this bike, I've stuck with the factory recommendation. My concern about running soft would be increased heat and accelerated wear.
36psi front/36-42psi rear is factory manual recommendations depending on load for the rear. It's common to run higher psi in the front to alleviate sluggish steering and I have usually ran 39 or 40psi in the front with PR's. So, I'm within range IMO.

Running PR's I could really feel a difference, in the front, when my psi was below 40, same with a set of Dunlops, not so with these Avon's.

After mounting tires I usually run them at a lower psi for a few hundred miles, I ran these Avon's at 36 front and rear. My thoughts are that they would scuff the slippery stuff off better and quicker. Doesn't hurt, also IMO.

Wait a minute, it just dawned on me, I had my forks upgraded by Traxxion, this may be the reason why my new tires feel so good.
punk.gif

Spec on mine (GenII, '07) is 39F/42R regardless of load.

I'd not heard of Avon having out of round issues. I had heard discussion of such (and high-ish weight requirements to balance) Dunlops though.

But back OT, looking forward to the review.

Out of round, I had two. Probably from the same batch.

If Avon has fixed the quality issue, I would be back in a heart beat - I really loved the quick turn-in and feedback they provided.

IMHO, the best tires ever. Except for.....

Hopefully, fixed, time marches on, and I have an open mind and trust Dale's results when he returns.

I had two early ones replaced because they seperated internaly. .I sold the last replacement without ever mounting it. The Azaro was great and I hope this new one is also. I'm about due for a front.

I'm sure if it can be killed, Dale will do it
rolleyes.gif
then give it to Skooter to finish wearing out.

If Avon has fixed the quality issue...
My biggest question would be this ^^^^ Hard to balance and prone to tank slappers if you got a bad tire. At least Avon would replace the bad tires w/o many questions.
--G
...Probably because they understood how bad their QC was.

Seems like a lot of balancing weight was req'd for the Azarros. We'll see from Dale's report how much weight he had to use.

If Avon has fixed the quality issue...
My biggest question would be this ^^^^ Hard to balance and prone to tank slappers if you got a bad tire. At least Avon would replace the bad tires w/o many questions.

--G
...Probably because they understood how bad their QC was.

Seems like a lot of balancing weight was req'd for the Azarros. We'll see from Dale's report how much weight he had to use.
Yup for sure wheatie, your memory is correct. I had one front Avon that was so bad...well, that's another story. It's refreshing to mount PR2s or 023GTs and use very little weight. With my last three sets of 023GTs I have not had to change the rim weights at all. Line up the balance dot and done...I like that!

--G