David Cook - aka FJRScrewball

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
From garyahouse:

Former FJRforum member David Cook, alias FJRScrewball here and Screwball Dave elsewhere, passed away on Thursday, Aug 23rd. David battled a cancerous tumor on the right side of his neck for over 2 years. He made around 200 posts on this forum. David just traded in his 2009 FJR and purchased a new 2013 back in June. He really loved his new steed, but unfortunately didn't have much time to break it in. The cancer got the best of him around Tuesday this week, finally forcing him to stay home from work, too weak to continue. He was never one to complain or make excuses. Apparently, hIs brother Jim took him to the hospital Thursday with difficulty breathing. Jim called me Friday morning to tell me that David passed away Friday morning, Aug 23rd when an emergency tracheotomy failed to save him.

The funeral was held Sunday the 25th.

David was a great friend and I spent a great deal of time with him. As a matter of fact, he drove out west with me for the first leg of my trip out west this summer.

He was a man of great faith, a loyal and dedicated member of the First Baptist Church at the Mall in Lakeland, Florida, and a member of their Faith Riders Ministry there. He leaves behind 2 brothers and a sister, but no other family.

Rest in peace Dave, my condolences to all who knew him.

Always sad to hear of another FJR friend's passing.

How did he make good use of his time here? What fine memories has he left behind?

These are the important questions.

Always sad to hear of another FJR friend's passing.How did he make good use of his time here? What fine memories has he left behind?

Interesting that you would ask this. Sometimes you amaze me, Fred.

David spent the last two years of his life battling this cancer. However, oddly enough, he didn't suffer much, at least not until the last few weeks. He spent just about every waking moment of that time, as far as I can tell, trying to be a help and an encouragement to others. He never complained, never took time off work (until 2 days before his death), my soul I wish I had that kind of character. He was absolutely SELFLESS, as far as I could tell. As much as I occasionally tried to talk to him about his cancer, and perhaps lift his spirits some, he never seemed to need that, and it's ironic that it turned out that he was a real inspiration to me. Even after he's gone, he still is. Fine memories? Maybe it's not so much the fun we had, but the example we set, the path we blaze, what we leave behind, that makes a life what it is. I don't know, I'm not much of a philosopher. I do know that they didn't come any better than that guy. His legacy remains; as it should.

Glad you asked.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Always sad to hear of another FJR friend's passing. How did he make good use of his time here? What fine memories has he left behind?

Interesting that you would ask this. Sometimes you amaze me, Fred.

David spent the last two years of his life battling this cancer. However, oddly enough, he didn't suffer much, at least not until the last few weeks. He spent just about every waking moment of that time, as far as I can tell, trying to be a help and an encouragement to others. He never complained, never took time off work (until 2 days before his death), my soul I wish I had that kind of character. He was absolutely SELFLESS, as far as I could tell. As much as I occasionally tried to talk to him about his cancer, and perhaps lift his spirits some, he never seemed to need that, and it's ironic that he was a real inspiration to me. Even after he's gone, he still is. Fine memories? Maybe it's not so much the fun we had, but the example we set, the path we blaze, what we leave behind, that makes a life what it is. I don't know, I'm not much of a philosopher. I do know that hey didn't come any better than that guy. His legacy remains; as it should.

Glad you asked.

Gary

darksider #44

Thanks for the reply, Gary. Your friend sounds like someone we would all have been better for having known.

Condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.