Gen III 2013 FJR - Do you have an aftermarket windshield? What do you recommend to be the quietest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuikSilver

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2013 Gen III FJR after putting 100,000 + miles on my Gen I. I am looking for hands-on practical advice from Gen III 2013 FJR Owners as to the quietest (and least turbulent airflow) aftermarket windshield for the Gen III.

Background: After thorough research on various FJR forums, I elected to purchase a Cal Sci Large XWide 2013+ windshield (+5.5 “ taller than stock, and 8” wider than stock at base), Almost everything I have read on Gen II FJR Cal Sci windshields is very positive. Unfortunately, on my GEN III, the Cal Sci windshield I purchased is a far cry from my definition of Nirvana quietness which is why I will be returning my Cal Sci (and I have never returned a windshield to a manufacturer in over 500,000 miles of riding). There is significant turbulence at every height setting, mostly coming from above my head (even when I look through the windshield with my head lowered by 2 – 3 inches below the windshield). I could not find a “quiet spot” anywhere. In retrospect, most of the Cal Sci information on the forums is on Gen II windshields. It is important to note that the Gen III FJR has a completely different airflow pattern above the headlights and I suspect the great reviews of the Cal Sci windshields for the Gen II do not apply to the Gen III. That is why I started this Gen III specific topic, so let’s keep this Gen III focus in this thread.

I am tempted to purchase 2013 Yamaha Touring Windshield (my original second choice) that is 4” taller and ½” wider than the stock windshield. I would be particularly interested in information comparing the Cal Sci to the 2013 Yamaha Touring Windshield in terms of “quietness”.

Obviously, the length of your torso is an important parameter when selecting a windshield. I am 5’11” tall with a 32” inseam. I would encourage responders to this thread to include their height and inseam length to help to help folks calibrate what would windshield height would be best height for them.

I'm 6'5'' and have the 2013 Touring Windshield. I like it but it's not quiet. I would not recommend it for you.

I just picked up the Yamaha touring screen this week in preparation for CFO / EOM trip. I am 6'1" with a 35" inseam and I have found it to be awesome at 55 to 65 mph. I was amazed to hear so much front tire noise from the OEM tire in the nice quite pocket of air. I have never heard a front tire make this much noise before. At Mama Yamaha mandated maximum 82 mph cruise speed I do experience some buffeting that gets a little worse in dirty air behind a truck. Although it is not perfect I have found it to be much better than the OEM touring screen on my 07 & 08 FJRs.

5'8" here. I also run the Yamaha Touring windshield. It's good, but not great. I liked the Yamaha Touring windshield on my Gen 2 better.

5'9", 30" inseam. Sargent seat, MV risers, and Gerauld hiway brackets/pegs. Started out with the stock screen, which was unusable. Switched to the Yamaha Touring screen and that was a vast improvement, but not perfect. Read some good things about the Cee Bailey's screen for the Gen III and tried that for a couple of weeks. Turbulence was considerably worse than the Yamaha touring screen to the point where it gave me headaches, although it was wider at the base. Just returned the Cee Bailey's screen and am now considering sticking with the Yamaha Touring screen and purchasing the OEM accessory Knuckle Guards from Canada for better wind protection on the hands and when riding 2-up.

Watching this thread. I don't mind the stock screen in the low to mid position, but it's pretty marginal in the full up position.

Loved the Cal-Sci medium with tuning block on my 04. But my god the aftermarket screens are fugly. It's the form function thing again. Damn you physics!

Just picked up a Yamaha Touring Screen for my 06. Vast improvement. I am 6' 1" with a 32" inseam. Yamaha Comfort Gel seat in low position and Garauld highway pegs and brackets. At full up I look just over the top and have a nice quiet pocket of air. When I put my feet on the highway pegs I get some turbulence, but not bad. At full down the air stream is smoother than stock stream and hits me just at the base of the helmet, and provides good cooling on a hot day. This is based on 2 days and about 300 miles. I am very pleased.

Ed

I picked up a Givi used locally about 2 weeks ago. Very good screen that is about 2 inches taller and 1 inch wider than stock. Slight flip at the top. Tinted under the mount. I can recommend this one. I get a little buffeting around my shoulders but nothing objectionable. Still gets a fair bit of air in the down position and doesn`t look like a barn door.

Just installed yesterday SKIDMARX. Today I tested it - works very well. Here are some pictures:

f3oq.jpg

d04r.jpg

xvjw.jpg

u2yv.jpg

hjvk.jpg

4xjm.jpg

sgg2.jpg

37px.jpg

eswe.jpg

uifh.jpg

qsi9.jpg

I think the ideal windshield would be wider at the top and have tuning blocks to allow air in behind it.......... V-Stream (made of Lexan) and Rifle have no listings for the '13-'14 FJR's yet. Baker Air Wings, also not available yet, are something I like as they deflect air or bring air in.

I think the ideal windshield would be wider at the top and have tuning blocks to allow air in behind it.......... V-Stream (made of Lexan) and Rifle have no listings for the '13-'14 FJR's yet. Baker Air Wings, also not available yet, are something I like as they deflect air or bring air in.
Ray, the '13 has an air inlet under the windshield that ducts air to the gauge cluster. This seemed to remove the vast majority of back pressure of previous gen's.

I've got a Cal-Sci Medium + the Rifle tuning block on my Gen1. Best combo I tried by far for that bike. I've got a Givi on my '13 (pic below, 2" taller, 1" wider, tinted lower section to hide the mount), its quite close to the Gen 1 setup. I'd recommend it.

10052545686_ea59de6e17_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that '13 looks good in that color! Nice looking shield.

https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/content/17-news-archive

Wonder what shipping would be from the UK.

Since I don't have a '13 I can only postulate if a Laminar lip on the touring shield would be a great combo although many don't like the look of those. Also sounds like Bungie's Givi works pretty well.

I picked up a Givi used locally about 2 weeks ago. Very good screen that is about 2 inches taller and 1 inch wider than stock. Slight flip at the top. Tinted under the mount. I can recommend this one. I get a little buffeting around my shoulders but nothing objectionable. Still gets a fair bit of air in the down position and doesn`t look like a barn door.
The GIVI looks good, nice touch to have the area over the mounting bracket blacked out.

I have the '13 with a Yamaha Touring shield. I am also 5'11" with a 32" inseam. The stock shield was bad at best for me. With the Touring in place, if i put it all the way up, it's 95% quiet. The height for me is about perfect. IMHO I would like it a little wider as when riding in 40* weather, my arms get a lot of air and can eventually get cold. I also have a pretty big noggin so there are times i get buffeting from the side airflow. Overall I'm 90% happy with the Touring Shield. It looks really nice, can lower and not look like crap when up.

Man that '13 looks good in that color! Nice looking shield.
https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/content/17-news-archive

Wonder what shipping would be from the UK.
Could check with Skidmarx on shipping to the US or if they have anyone in the States that sell their products.... https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/content/12-contact
Originally I wanted Calsci or or Cee Bailleys for my '13 but I did not find a dealer here - just one in UK and they did not react on my e- mails...

I did have givi on my 07 before, but I was not very happy with it too noisy and with top case in hign speed there were a turbolance on my back there.