Florida Ride To Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any interest in a Florida riders get-together? I was thinking a centralized location (Taking the panhandle/Key West into consideration) would be just east of Tampa.

We could wait until the weather cools down a bit (And the tropics settle down) Maybe a November or early December meeting (?) Does anyone in the Tampa area have a

good location for a meet-up? I know this is a bit in the future, but I wanted to test the waters to see if there is any desire at all. What dates would be best...

Thanks, Tony

As long as it's on a Saturday, I'm good. I'm wondering if Sat Nov. 30th would be a poor choice as it's the weekend of Thanksgiving, and some might be heading outa town. Maybe Sat Nov 23rd: the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving? I have a riding bud who lives in Tampa... with a huge backyard. Perfect for grillin' and chillin'. I could ask him if we could meet up at his place. Lotsa space to park the bikes, and he's quite the mechanic as well.

Another possibility would be Oct 19, Biketober Fest in Daytona. Is that a possibility?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in St.Pete and would be interested in a meet up/ ride. The guys on sport-tourning.net are trying to get together a ride also for September 9th I believe, I can keep you updated if you want.

If the timing worked out I might ride down myself. I'll follow the conversation and see how it works out.

Talked with Mark today in Tampa. He says he'd be happy to have us out to his place for a meet up, if that's what ya had in mind. It's located near the intersection of Waters and Sheldon. Check out the location on Google maps.

Gary

darksider #44

Thanks Gary!

I was hoping someone would "Take the ball and run with it" as I am a very poor planner. The Daytona ride sounds great also. I really wanted to include the panhandle riders, so it looks like you might be on to something good here.

Jim (Fljab) should be back from the Montana adventure soon, and he can get the Central riders going on this.

Let's do this!

Yeah, sounds like a good plan and I'm up for it especially the Tampa venue apart from the Thanksgiving week period.

Steve

A get-together should work for me. It would be great to see some old friends and meet some new FJR riders. I'll be watchin'...

Wow... this is getting better and better!

My ultimate goal is to form an annual event in which we meet up with fellow riders and share some good times ON and OFF the motorcycles.

I will use forum names so everyone can follow this thread. garyahouse has stepped up with a great suggestion about using a riding buddies back

yard. This may work out well. I would like suggestions from everyone. Here is another thought:

Every year my mentor and friend holds an event at Cedar Key, FL. This location is midway between Tampa, FL and the panhandle on the west coast.

There is night life, charter boat rides, restaurants... A great place for getting away from it all. The nice thing about this place is that it is affordable. My wife

even makes the ride with me. The sunsets are just amazing there! There are some riders who might be riding some distance to attend this event. Perhaps

for them (And Me
smile.png
) it would be better not to spend all their time riding to an event, only to have to leave shortly after to make it back home. If we held it on

a Saturday, perhaps an overnight stay and breakfast would make the meeting more enjoyable. This would also make it possible to enjoy the night life without

the need of "Counting" drinks or minutes off the clock. A Sunday morning ride home with good memories to savor could be the "Cherry on top".

I look forward to more suggestions from others.

A ride to Daytona for Biketoberfest could be just the ticket for planning.

Sounds like a good plan 101. Being that I'm at Daytona Bike Week every year, it's a no brainier for me. Also, the next Daytona Bike Week will include a visit from BeemerDons with a group from the Southwest. That'll be all sorts of fun!! I'm pumped for that one. RadioHowie is showing up too. :)

Here's the plan:

Saturday 10/17/13

We're heading up to Daytona for BIketoberfest We can do a 5:45am rondezvous (we leave at 6am) at Mark's place in Tampa and/or 8 am at the IHOP near the intersection of Route 50 and I-4 In Orlando (because that's where we always stop for breakfast). We'll need to plan a mid afternoon lunch in Daytona. Any ideas? Be nice to meet somewhere where you can hear what other people are saying. Some of those places get pretty loud.

Saturday 11/23/13

Here's the plan: Mark and I would like to put together some dogs on the grill along with a crock pot of mom's best baked beans with enough sodas for everybody, from about EDIT: 11:00-1:00 on Saturday November 23. You could bring along some chips or tater salad or whatever, if ya want something else. Hope this isn't an issue but we don't condone boozin' and bikin' so no alcohol will be served at Mark's place. Hope that's not an problem for anyone.

If yer up for a ride, we can leave at EDIT: 1:00, head up to Cycle Gear and snoop around for something we probably don't need (but gotta have) and then take a 2 and 1/2 hour ride up through the curves to Cedar Key where we can have some more fun... perhaps something light or dinner or ??

My name is Gary A. House and I have approved this message.

smile.png

Are you taking I-4 straight to Daytona after breakfast? If you are, I'll be at the intersection of I-4 and SR46 waiting for you. I can crash at my nieces house the night before in Sanford minutes away. Just give me an approximate time you'll be passing by. This sounds like fun.

Cell# 561-248-4343

Most likely the central riders can hook up either in route or at the track. I will be there- one way or another... Maybe even 2 up.

For a Daytona meeting place, I am sure Jim (fljab) would have a handle on that. He's busy wearing out tires in the Memphis area last I heard.

Hmmmmm......... I might be convinced to lower my standards to hang out with you Florida retards. Depends on my work schedule. Unfortunately, while there will be a Yamaha Demo Truck at Biketoberfest I won't be with it. I'll be with another Yamaha Demo Truck at the AIMExpo in Orlando. Will be there October 14-20. Work during the day, but hopefully can hook up with you mooks some evening.

I'll even discount my appearance fee for you dorks.
smile.png