Trapped In Colombia.... Need Forum's Help....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Hello Forum members.

I have been part of this forum for a while, and it has been a great source for information and help for many years.

Currently I am in Colombia on a trek with the FJR to Argentina and I once again seek help from the forum.

Over 2 years ago I left a great job, girlfriend and life in search for something that was missing within myself. Although I was fundamentally happy, there was a flame inside that called for the open road. With the savings of 9,000 dollars that I earned as a Hospice Caregiver, I set off with my FJR into the deep wild blue of America. I had no destinations and no plans. Every morning my direction of travel was a decision completely on whim. I lived (and continue to live) a humble life of off-road camping, using very little and exploring our beautiful country and the magic it holds.

I never once paid for camping which meant sometimes sleeping in abandoned places. I’ve eaten at missions, shelters, and food banks. I have been shot at, tear gassed, pepper sprayed, robbed, wrecked, frozen stiff, soaked, starved, melted on desert highways, nearly drowned, surrounded by coyotes 100’s of times, chased out in middle of night, and even faced off with a mountain lion all in search of a dream.

After a year of travel my money was exhausted and I sought work in a much different field than my work in Hospice; a raker for a wild blueberry farm. With the money I earned through backbreaking labor and a short stint at a restaurant I decided to go for another dream … Argentina.

Throughout my journey I have documented, photographed and filmed what I have seen through the lens of my camera. I have shared these images with friends and family for free out of love and appreciation for what I was receiving. The work I created was as much theirs as it was mine. I never sought money for my photography and found everything I did a labor of love.

Now I have crossed the Darien Gap via Sailboat into Colombia and I am closer to where I need to be. However I have miscalculated the amount of money needed to get me there. I have been stuck in Colombia because of a nationwide protest for poor farmers. All roads out of the country have been blocked. I have spent 2 weeks waiting now, and the cost day to day is becoming overwhelming. It appears some blocks are being lifted, but the damage to my wallet has already been done. And noone knows for certain if all the blocks are lifted.

I hope this post is met well, but I am in need of a little help to keep me moving along. I suppose I am no different than someone juggling fire or a kid selling jewelry on the street. But I do not juggle, and I can’t make jewelry. If I could find work here to fund the rest myself I would, but work is not possible as a foreigner in South America. I am a photographer, a seeker, a lover of life and above all a man wrapped in a dream who shares what he has through images.

If you go to my website www.intotheblueagain.com you will see a paypal button where you can donate and help me along my dream. If you take the time to look at the 2 years of work I have presented, you will get a clear idea of who I am and what I am doing. If you have been in my shoes you will understand. If you haven’t and either cant or don’t want to help, please add me on facebook.com/anthonysantoloci and share with this experience with me.

Those who donate over 15 dollars will receive a print of their choice when I return.

If you would rather loan the money, I will promptly repay as soon as I return to the states and work. Thanks you all in advance. God Bless

9629539149_0d7f5cdf2b_z.jpg

9632788836_8bb6d04e84_z.jpg
\
9629553319_580c98c040_z.jpg

I was curious as to why this had 185 views and no replies ... OK ... now I understand.

Gosh ducks it's been a long time since I seen a post by ya.. After reading about your adventure I understand.

However I had to accept the forums charity in order to be in Oregon next month AND as you are such an infrequent poster here I think help is gonna be dang hard to come by.

If I was in the position to spare any funds I'd be more than willing to assist. Maybe this lil bump may bring in a few good peeps with a little extra $$ to help.

Far too few the man, or woman, that chases their dream today.

best of luck Tony. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
However I had to accept the forums charity in order to be in Oregon next month AND as you are such an infrequent poster here I think help is gonna be dang hard to come by.
If I was in the position to spare any funds I'd be more than willing to assist. Maybe this lil bump may bring in a few good peeps with a little extra $$ to help.

Far too few the man, or woman, that chases their dream today.

best of luck Tony. HTH.
Wow... what an adventure and kudos to you for choosing the road less traveled. I'm headed to your website and will see what my budget will allow this month. Vaya con Dios, amigo! B)

Bust, do you know Tony? Is this voyage of self searching legit?

If so, I'll do what I can.

Hey Don.. I could fib and say 'yes I know the man" but truth be told I only know him as well as you and some of the West Coast contingent knew me 3 years ago.

Sometimes it's just a feeling in yer gut that directs where you stand regarding people. I honestly believe TDucks is legit Bro.

I know the decision is yours as to what you or anyone is going to do regarding his call for help.

I don't think he needs but a couple hundred and I'd be willing to stay home and sell off my tickets out there this month If I could do it without you folks losing $$

So...

I'll take the hit fer ducks if he ain't legit. Kick me ass, rape me, do whatever.. But I think the guy is straight up and needs a lil help.

Keep it under a grand that way I can sell my body for a semen receptacle for 4 weeks at the livestock auction to pay if he ain't legit.ok?

Tony, I don't know you but I spent the last hour on your website. You've chosen a road that few will venture down, I know because I've spent my life following another.

Enjoy your road and thanks for sharing!

Paypal on the way.

Hola Tony, que paso!?!? PayPal monies have been sent to you, con mucho gusto! I'll let you buy me a cerveza, en Guatemala Ciudad. In 1990 I rode to Guatemala City on my 1985 BMW R80RT, now I'm turning 65 this trip is back on Papa Chuy's Bucket List.

If you will give me 3 weeks notice, I'll meet you in Guatemala on your return trip to Estados Unidos and ride back with you for a while!

My email is [email protected] and we can meet in Guatemala, I naturally know exact date and time would be an approximation.

Mas Caminos y mas Amigos! Saludos y recuerdos, Senor Papa Chuy Medina

Baja015.jpg

Can anyone confirm this came legitimately from TD? There have been e-mails in the past from different people soliciting money to help them from being stranded that have always turned out to be scams that take advantage of someone's good reputation.

It's a rough thing in that the bad deeds of some make real requests come under scrutiny.

Can anyone confirm this came legitimately from TD? There have been e-mails in the past from different people soliciting money to help them from being stranded that have always turned out to be scams that take advantage of someone's good reputation.
It's a rough thing in that the bad deeds of some make real requests come under scrutiny.
Well, his domain is registered to Anthony Santoloci. So unless someone hacked his website AND his FJRForum account (not impossible if passwords were both the same) but highly unlikely that someone would put two and two together to figure out where he was posting. Again, not impossible, but it's more likely legit that its him than that it's not.

Well, his domain is registered to Anthony Santoloci. So unless someone hacked his website AND his FJRForum account (not impossible if passwords were both the same) but highly unlikely that someone would put two and two together to figure out where he was posting. Again, not impossible, but it's more likely legit that its him than that it's not.
Plus it's awfully well written... usually scam artists aren't very literate and their messages are fraught with misspellings, typos, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate you playing devil's advocate and looking out for us as well... like you said, we all like to believe in the best in people but realistically there are a few bad apples out there... luckily, it doesn't look like this is one of them! :)

By nature I'm pretty skeptical. Just wondering how such ultra-high resolution and quality photograph and slick editing are being accomplished by someone "trapped" in Columbia. If I "miscalculated" my costs for a trip, I'd turn around and head home before I started essentially begging for money from strangers, whether I was 200 miles away or 2000 miles away.

If it's a miscalculation on costs, it would seem more sincere to seek loans with repayment than "donations" to allow the trip to continue. I don't see where there is any charitable cause motivating you, other than self-gratification. If you "left a great job, girlfriend and life" 2 years ago to make this endeavor, you should have some skills or means to be self-sufficient enough to keep this going, or do the right thing, go home, and try again another time with better planning.

BTW, I type this from my work-desk on this fine labor day (holiday) as I am self-employed, and instead of having fun today I had to tend to these responsibilities. But, this is how I pay to ride my FJR when the planning and finances line up for me.

By nature I'm pretty skeptical. Just wondering how such ultra-high resolution and quality photograph and slick editing are being accomplished by someone "trapped" in Columbia. If I "miscalculated" my costs for a trip, I'd turn around and head home before I started essentially begging for money from strangers, whether I was 200 miles away or 2000 miles away.
If it's a miscalculation on costs, it would seem more sincere to seek loans with repayment than "donations" to allow the trip to continue. I don't see where there is any charitable cause motivating you, other than self-gratification. If you "left a great job, girlfriend and life" 2 years ago to make this endeavor, you should have some skills or means to be self-sufficient enough to keep this going, or do the right thing, go home, and try again another time with better planning.

BTW, I type this from my work-desk on this fine labor day (holiday) as I am self-employed, and instead of having fun today I had to tend to these responsibilities. But, this is how I pay to ride my FJR when the planning and finances line up for me.
Agreed.

(deleted rant)

Maybe he should consider selling some of his prints.

I think a "miscalculation of costs" on a trip like this would be running out of funds in Columbia on the way home. It appears that he is asking for donations to fund the majority of his trip.....which is just starting.

Does anyone know why logging on the FJR Forum would make my Internet connection only work on a intermittent basis?

if you read his post carefully, he offers to repay when stateside. or for your help of $15 or more, he will provide you with the print of your choice. then, for those who haven't, can't or would prefer not to support with money, he simply requests you like him on facebook. So he's offering to repay and or sell you his work. both of which are suggested above...

uploading hi rez images from round the world is not hard. i've done it from the most inhospitable places on earth... and all that snappy photoediting can be done in the camera, if needed. He's using high end stuff and shoots some amazing pics.

one thing is for sure, you don't get pics like that from sitting in your basement playing call of duty...

I don't know this guy either, but i did study his website, and think what he's done is pretty cool. the free bird in my soul is envious... his journey looks like a solo "long way down" but without the insane schedule those guys kept or the corporate sponsors.

I for one will be sending him a $20... and if i ever see a print from him, i'll be delighted and glad i helped him.

if i never see one, i'll still be glad i help him on this great adventure... that i for one would so love to take.

...and perhaps, while reading his journal, and seeing his incredible photography, i can vicariously take that trip that time and circumstance will never allow.

that, and he rides an FJR AND he's a darksider, which makes him cool as shit. see pic https://www.flickr.com/photos/58853700@N05/6137686870/

he is listed as Tony Santoloci on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/goeasy

and the real gem of his work is here. https://www.intotheblueagain.com/

that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.