FJR Cruise throttle lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fjr

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a guy develop a throttle lock for the FJR that will be a big step forward for this type of simple, non electronic device. The information needed at this time is: are all years using the same throttle side controls, or are there differences between the years? Any specific help would be much appreciated.

There are already numerous throttle locks of various styles, shapes and prices. I'm curious, what's gonna make yours different? Think you'll be able to come up with something as elegant as the BrakeAway, as simple as the ThrottleMeister, and as inexpensive & functional as the VistaCruise?

Well, the idea is not mine, so I can't talk about it specifically. About all I can say is it has a nice feature that sets it apart. I have had all the ones listed, and they are all good in their own way, be it features or price. This will just be another nice option to choose from......nuttin wrong with that, eh?

So, all I am trying to find out is whether there are any differences in the right controls over the years. So far, 2013 is different. If I get free, I may make it to the CFO this weekend and have a look at the various years in attendance.

2013 is a lot different than earlier.
Hmm, ya, well... Since the '13 comes with factory cruise control as part of the fly-by-wire system there is probably a limited need for a mechanical throttle lock. In fact, this should be telling the designer of the mechanical throttle lock that it will be limited to the '01 to '12 run and the market will be closing as all new FJRs will have dynamic cruise control. In business you learn that there can be engineering success but marketing failure and marketing success but engineering failure.

Note that only the '13 FJR OEM cruise control has the 80 mph limit. That extends the mechanical throttle lock useful application range to '01 - '13 FJRs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, ya, well... Since the '13 comes with factory cruise control as part of the fly-by-wire system there is probably a limited need for a mechanical throttle lock. In fact, this should be telling the designer of the mechanical throttle lock that it will be limited to the '01 to '12 run and the market will be closing as all new FJRs will have dynamic cruise control. In business you learn that there can be engineering success but marketing failure and marketing success but engineering failure.
You're correct, as long as one lives in an area where an 80 MPH limited cruise control is useful. Which I don't. Which is why I put a Kuryakan throttle lock on my Gen III; as on my Gen I, as on my Multistrada, as on pretty much every street bike I've owned in the past fifteen years.

Now, if Yamaha pulls their collective heads out and corrects their CC deficiency, that's a different story.

Go-Cruise does it all...you can't beat it for $20
Well yes/no. They start out working well, but over time (like a year or less) they weaken and it wont hold the throttle in place anymore, it slips and since there is no way to tighten the tension it becomes useless. Threw my last one away.

Just put a throttlemeister on a 013 with one thought in mind - take the slop out of the throttle tube. Don't need the lock function on the 013, but enjoy being able to dial in the friction to taste. Marker Machine does quality work.

Go-Cruise does it all...you can't beat it for $20
Well yes/no. They start out working well, but over time (like a year or less) they weaken and it wont hold the throttle in place anymore, it slips and since there is no way to tighten the tension it becomes useless. Threw my last one away.
Actually their new one does have tension control and you dial it in. Problem fixed.

You're correct, as long as one lives in an area where an 80 MPH limited cruise control is useful. Which I don't. Which is why I put a Kuryakan throttle lock on my Gen III; as on my Gen I, as on my Multistrada, as on pretty much every street bike I've owned in the past fifteen years.
Now, if Yamaha pulls their collective heads out and corrects their CC deficiency, that's a different story.
Stay away from Crazy Ed's Chili Beer!! Is he still doing his brewing in Cave Creek?

Stay away from Crazy Ed's Chili Beer!! Is he still doing his brewing in Cave Creek?
Well Art, the restaurant and brewery are still there but Crazy Ed got a little too crazy and got his crazy ass run out of town a few years back. His son "Kid Chalean" has a place up by Black Canyon City that gets raided by the DEA on a pretty much monthly basis.

I'm testing it right now (or as soon as I get to a longer ride). I believe the inventor will make them available on a small per order basis sometime soon.

I am interested in seeing this.

I began planning a simple radial ball and ramp type of mechanism that would engage with a tug on a small lever from your pinky, then disengage when the throttle was rolled off. I liked my idea (who doesn't like thier own ideas right?) then bought a Throttlemiester from another member and have used it ever since...

I don't love the TM... it is inconsistent depending on heated grip setting or temp, it makes an unsightly bulge in my throttle grip, does not provide enough tactile or visual feedback when applied/disengaged, and requires an adjustment when I add or remove my handguards(not TM's fault..thats outside of the design parameters) But.. I own it, it works as designed, is built and designed well enough to last a million years with little or no maintenance, is a nice looking('cept the grip lump), nicely machined and finished bit.

I did LOVE my Vista Cruise that i had on my KLR...I'll repeat LOVED IT.. perfect for me, loved the operation, consistent, adjustable tension, definite on or off..no"maybe"...etc.. but I worried it would damage the heated grip conductors on the Feej.. and thats expensive to fix.

Brakeaway..$200.. takes up too much space on the grip for my liking, does not look horrible, but they state no heated grips...

So.. with the TM on there working pretty well, I lost my drive to create.

If your friend is creating a neat, compact, device, with a safe, instant, release on grip roll off and/or brake application, and with a definite tactile feedback for on or off... I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

So what have we got then???. I must say iv'e been looking for one of these for the Gen 1 for such a long time. There are so many to choose from and i'm not so sure about using my pinky effectively with gloves on which a whole bunch of these require. I also have heated grips which i gotta say are the #1 farkle to have where i live so i don't want to mess around with them to much. I don't mind spending the coin for something that looks the part and works really well so what do you reckon then???

Gaz

So what have we got then???. I must say iv'e been looking for one of these for the Gen 1 for such a long time. There are so many to choose from and i'm not so sure about using my pinky effectively with gloves on which a whole bunch of these require. I also have heated grips which i gotta say are the #1 farkle to have where i live so i don't want to mess around with them to much. I don't mind spending the coin for something that looks the part and works really well so what do you reckon then???
Gaz
I use the Omni Cruise https://www.omni-cruise.com/. A take off on the Go Cruise but is machined from aluminum and has adjustable tension. Works with the factory heated grips on my GenI. A bit pricey at $50. I got one on a promotion for 35. It works well.