BBG attempt this Friday-Saturday, September 20-21

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to have some online accountability for the BBG attempt this Friday-Saturday with my friend Phil.

Spotwalla link that should be active early Friday morning: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=7d1f522f68009ae02

Cedar Rapids, Iowa to Cheyenne, Wyoming and back on our 2003 and 2004 FJR's.

Any thoughts, advice, or heckling is welcome.

All the best,

Shane

No thoughts, advice, or heckling from me. Good luck, have a safe ride. Post up a RR after your success so we can read all about it.

Hi Shane,

Both of my solo BBG's had a mile reduction taken of several miles. Personally if I were you, I'd try and run to Laramie, WY if at all possible to tack on a few extra miles to safeguard the ride. Your route looks to be about 1510 miles, which is cutting it a little close.

Best of luck.

Dan

Hi Shane,
Both of my solo BBG's had a mile reduction taken of several miles. Personally if I were you, I'd try and run to Laramie, WY if at all possible to tack on a few extra miles to safeguard the ride. Your route looks to be about 1510 miles, which is cutting it a little close.

Best of luck.

Dan
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the heads-up.

We thought about that as well...here is what we've done to address that so far.

1. The start/end location is north of town, which will add about 10 additional miles to the Google maps estimate

2. We've modified the route around Omaha to stay north of the through-town route, and intersect I29 before heading south and then west, adding about 6 miles each way.

3. The City-to-City Google maps estimate is currently 1533 miles, without counting our North-of-town start and end location.

Here's the Google map link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cedar+Rapids,+IA&daddr=41.4938517,-95.8322037+to:Lincoln,+NE+to:Ogallala,+NE+to:Cheyenne,+WY+to:Kearney,+NE+to:41.4786382,-95.8998445+to:Des+Moines,+IA+to:Cedar+Rapids,+IA&hl=en&ll=41.360319,-98.701172&spn=12.905317,13.996582&sll=41.32412,-98.230354&sspn=12.911804,13.996582&geocode=FRiIgAIdKUuJ-ilRQi-gel_khzHA3eYsQ2DuVQ%3BFVsleQIddbdJ-inhizOzzKOThzEieJHGGk4OYw%3BFc6pbgIdMcE8-illElbKWb6WhzG53tUfm4U6Yw%3BFRqRcwIdsd7v-SlJqxj1jsJ2hzFjh923ajo1cQ%3BFQ2_cwId6pHA-SmT73MudjhvhzErLZePQTAKsQ%3BFcIFbQIdMiIY-ilz28ypv06ZhzGOmpxxEY1I3A%3BFe7peAIdPK9I-imxU8GmNL2ThzECVT0sccGHEw%3BFSHGegIdbqNr-innHmHBpJnuhzGy5JEmUSgAcQ%3BFRiIgAIdKUuJ-ilRQi-gel_khzHA3eYsQ2DuVQ&oq=cedar+ra&mra=ls&via=1,6&t=m&z=6

Do you think we need to do more route modification at this point?

All the best,

Shane

FYI - there is gas at the Buford Trading post in Buford, WY - https://goo.gl/maps/HS5ih

That is a little closer than going all the way to Laramie to tack on miles. Just call and verify gas availability hours in advance.

Definitely want to document your route such that there is no ambiguity. Based on the locations documented, the IBA will compute the shortest route and use it as your mileage. So ensure you document corners and "arounds" and such. I see you're using SpotWalla (good indicator of a highly intelligent being
grin.gif
) so use your device and receipts to mark you route. Of course, receipts are primary and required, but a good map with locations to support it ain't gonna hurt none.

The BBG is a fine ride. Y'all keep the wheels spinning, have fun, take care of each other and get home safe and sound.

FYI - there is gas at the Buford Trading post in Buford, WY - https://goo.gl/maps/HS5ih
That is a little closer than going all the way to Laramie to tack on miles. Just call and verify gas availability hours in advance.
Thanks Justin,

Good to know that we can make some additional miles if needed without concern.

Shane

Do you need a witness in Cedar Rapids?
Yes, we do need another witness, unless we rely on a gas station attendant.

Are you offering?

Shane

Definitely want to document your route such that there is no ambiguity. Based on the locations documented, the IBA will compute the shortest route and use it as your mileage. So ensure you document corners and "arounds" and such. I see you're using SpotWalla (good indicator of a highly intelligent being
grin.gif
) so use your device and receipts to mark you route. Of course, receipts are primary and required, but a good map with locations to support it ain't gonna hurt none.
The BBG is a fine ride. Y'all keep the wheels spinning, have fun, take care of each other and get home safe and sound.
Thanks Jason!

Thank you also for the Spotwalla work that you do. It's remarkable how this helps spouses, friends, etc, not worry so much.

I updated the route with actual start/finish address, and Google works it out at 1539 miles--should be good I would think.

Here's the latest version: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=780+North+Center+Point+Road,+Hiawatha,+IA+52233&daddr=Omaha,+NE+to:North+Platte,+NE+to:Cheyenne,+WY+to:Lexington,+NE+to:Omaha,+NE+to:780+North+Center+Point+Road,+Hiawatha,+IA+52233&hl=en&sll=41.516804,-95.690918&sspn=6.439919,6.998291&geocode=FQGSgQIdrAmJ-imljWGemPrkhzHBuqxV0pAJ8Q%3BFQt2dQId3C9H-int_Ay1yI2ThzEEtjeuT01CRg%3BFTTAcwIdr4X--SkLaTmT-SJ2hzHLeu5ps-8b4Q%3BFQ2_cwId6pHA-SmT73MudjhvhzErLZePQTAKsQ%3BFShEbgIdwBAO-in19NbYo4SehzF0w6MwPfB7Hg%3BFQt2dQId3C9H-int_Ay1yI2ThzEEtjeuT01CRg%3BFQGSgQIdrAmJ-imljWGemPrkhzHBuqxV0pAJ8Q&oq=Omaha&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Shane

All the best,

Shane
Shane,

I was showing a city-to-city mileage of just 755 miles using Google maps, which is what prompted my first response. That's what always worries me - you never really know what mileage the log-checker is seeing.

You can make some fast miles west of Cheyenne if needed, and there's a 24 hour Petro truckstop on the south side of I-80 in Laramie which I've used - if you feel like it. But I agree that's a bit excessive running all the way out there.

Planning these is half the fun of riding them!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Map looks good, but does include some miles for traveling to city-centers like Omaha, Lexington and Cheyenne. I removed that extra mileage in this version...

https://goo.gl/maps/UakuD

Still comes to 1523 miles. Document your corners properly and you should have enough to certify the ride. And thanks for the kind words. I'm glad SpotWalla helps your family and friends maintain their sanity.

All the best,

Shane
Shane,

I was showing a city-to-city mileage of just 755 miles using Google maps, which is what prompted my first response. That's what always worries me - you never really know what mileage the log-checker is seeing.

You can make some fast miles west of Cheyenne if needed, and there's a 24 hour Petro truckstop on the south side of I-80 in Laramie which I've used - if you feel like it. But I agree that's a bit excessive running all the way out there.

Planning these is half the fun of riding them!

Dan
Cool,

Thanks Dan!

Shane

Map looks good, but does include some miles for traveling to city-centers like Omaha, Lexington and Cheyenne. I removed that extra mileage in this version...

https://goo.gl/maps/UakuD

Still comes to 1523 miles. Document your corners properly and you should have enough to certify the ride. And thanks for the kind words. I'm glad SpotWalla helps your family and friends maintain their sanity.
Thank you for the route edit sir!

Shane

My bike is in pieces right now, but Friday morning should be good. I will leave here around 4 am and should be there in plenty of time. Do they still have the speed cameras in Cedar Rapids along 380?

My bike is in pieces right now, but Friday morning should be good. I will leave here around 4 am and should be there in plenty of time. Do they still have the speed cameras in Cedar Rapids along 380?
Yes, yes we do.

It's good that you know about them already...we're so used to them now that I forget to warn people.

Thank you, this means a lot man.

Shane

Doug,

If my memory serves me correctly, it was you who traveled some distance to make sure 2 riders had a good meal. AND you had me hold your 2011 IBR flag for a photo, and now I have a flag of my own!

My bike has been welded and is almost together again. Now to keep it from the off road trails!

Here are some pictures of pathfinder, so you can easily identify him at the gas station:

PA080449.jpg

Filling out paperwork immediately upon arrival:

gas.jpg

Enjoying a California Cheeseburger during a brief one hour break:

Tonyandgreg.jpg

Travel Man enjoying a burger:

PA080437.jpg

Travel Man:

PA080440.jpg