Short inseam concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 2013 FJR. I have owned a Honda ST1300 and I currently ride a GL1800 Goldwing. I have the GL1800 up for sale.

I had no problem riding the Honda ST1300 although I could not flat foot that bike. The FJR is a little taller which concerns me. I am only 5' 9".

I would be interested in any feedback from riders who have short inseam that are currently riding this bike.

John

A number of us are vertically challenged on this forum. You can only stack this stuff SO high, you know. Anyway, I'm 5' 7 3/4... never quite made 5'8. Can't complain as dad was 5'5 and mom is 5'1. Anyway, my 29 1/2 inseam will not quite allow flat feet on my 05. However, my Corbin does allow me about an inch of extra mercy if I sit right up against the tank. I'm content with heels about an inch off the ground. When my but is back away from the tank, I'm on my toes. No biggie... they work pretty well...
smile.png

I'm somewhere right in between 5'8" and 5'9". I have a 30" inseam and I have no problem flat footing with both feet with my seat in the low position on a 2007. I can ride with the seat in the high postion and still feel comfortable with just putting my left foot down, almost flat. I'm currently still running a stock seat but I have an order in with Laam Custom Seats to build me a new one. My attitude though is that I don't buy a bike to stand on it. As long as I feel confident enough at intersections I'm not letting seat height be that big of a deal. I don't consider the FJR to be particularly top heavy and so the weight doesn't bother me either.

5'9" ?!

There's not much I wouldn't do for another couple of inches.

I'm 5' 4.5", i wear WP BMW boots withOUT sole or heels built up, and I've put 46,500 miles on my FJR since 2008 - from Canuckistan where we can ride only 6 or 7 months a year :blink:

Yeah, I've dropped it a few times. But who hasn't ? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'7 with a 29" inseam. Even scooted up to the tank, I still have only my toes down, without the plastic tray, and with the seat in the lowest position. I'm still using the stock seat, even after 10K miles. (I need to get a Russel). Anyways, at intersections I usually shift my butt over to one side or the other and place one foot flat. As you can see from my signature, I have yet to join the drop club, and I'm a fairly "new" rider. I've been riding since 2009, and have about 20K lifetime miles on any motored 2 wheel machine.

At 5'9, I'm assuming you have close to a 30" inseam, which is 1" better than me. I'm fairly young, and the weight of this machine doesn't bother me. Just keep her balanced on her own rubber and she'll treat you good.
thumbsup.gif

Yea, if you are 5'9" then I only have one word for you sir. Quityerbitchin!
biggrin.png

Another 5'7" here with 30 inch inseam riding an FJR. Works fine for me but I've gotten used to the fact that they just about don't make bikes that allow me to sit flat footed. There's a few, like my little Bandit 400.

You want fun, try riding a stock supermoto. EVERY single stop you make had better be well planned. I recall one day in downtown Dallas coming to a stop and like normal I hang off to the left and as I stop my left foot goes down with my right foot three feet up in the air on the peg draped over the seat. Just as I came to a stop I came close enough to the intersection to get into the vortex of wind howling between the buildings coming from my left. You ain't never seen someone leap over a seat to catch the bike on the right like I did that day.

biggrin.png

I had a 2007 FJR and it was a bit tall for me but I lived with it. 29" inseam.

Bought a ST1300 and discovered that it was at least as tall, and very top heavy for us short guys.

Went out last month and bought a 2012 FJR. Bye-bye ST1300.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

I'm 5' 10" tall with a 31" inseam. I put lowering links on my FJR and can almost be flat-footed when sitting on the bike. I had the original seat shaved, but the guy doing the work botched it. So, I currently have the Yamaha gel seat and it seems to do fine. Good luck, and if you decide to buy, enjoy the FJR... It's been one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden.

By the way, almost forgot to mention (forgive our manners) Welcome aboard, John. Good to have you on the forum. Stay in touch and let us know what cha decide to do.

Gary

darksider #44

This one looks like it has a fairly low seat height: (and an interesting side-stand)

beachcruiserII2.jpg

What the hell, it's Friday, right? Right? .....Oh CRAP!!!

My feet reach the pegs alright, and thats where they are 99.99% of the time, the other .01% I tippy toe. Works. No worries, just ride.

There's not much I wouldn't do for another couple of inches.
That's what SHE said.

I am 5'9" on a good day, 30 inch inseam.

I flatfoot easily in low position, slid a little more toward the tank. Even in high position no problem.

I am on a 2009, not sure if the 13 is any different?

I called Corbin yesterday. Told them I had short legs and wanted one of their seats - but not add too much foam. He said he knew what I wanted and took my order. Just the driver seat.

Now looking at lowering links. I plan to drop the rear by an inch and the front by maybe half an inch.

If you're considering the lowering links (dog bones) then check to see which ones you have.

Some of the FJRs have 10mm bolts and some have 12mm bolts. Mine has the 12mm bolts.

I think that the aftermarket links have a 10mm hole for the bolts.

Another 5'7" 30" here, my corbin makes the seat height 1" taller but its still negotiable...i suspect "sprung" weight, ie yer belly, ass and such, may play a role....or muffin...and although i'd love another enduro bike, i aint got enough swede in me to keep from jumping down at every stop sign...i suspect seat height varies from gen I, II, III a little too... i perceive a forward tilt on the '13, but it may have been the stand....it wont make any difference to the grin on your face !!

My invoice says "Lady/Gunfighter". I suspect that's more narrow at the nose and I'm hoping that it is - so that I can get my feet down.

They had to build it - so it's a three week wait... and I won't know until it arrives.

29 inch inseam for me. Corbin seat while better than stock seems about the same height. Hey for normal riding no problems but I go camping loaded with gear including duffel bag and tank bag. Yes, she's top heavy then. Once rolling no problem. But on gravel campground roads and off camber parking on moutain turn off's etc, I got to think way ahead of the situation to prevent a drop. So far been sucessful. However I recently installed tip over bars protecting the fairing and sidebags.Now I'm not so worried about a drop. I like this solution over dog bones as they don't affect performance.

Bill

5'6" here with a 28+ inseam. Lowered the bike with Koubalinks, dropped the front end 1/2 " and adjusted the bend of the kickstand so the bike rests on more of an angle and installed an Hyperpro shock. Only issue is when I ride 2 up with the wife and fully loaded, then balance and stopping on level ground is all important.

Thanks Guys for your input.

As I said I managed on the Honda ST1300 for 3 years, mind you, I did drop it a couple of times. The ST has the slide protection which is a big help. I will fit some slide protectors to the FJR just to be on the safe side.

However, all sounds encouraging.

I'm 5'3.25" with a 29" inseam at 135 lbs and just rolled the odometer on my 04 to 100K in 10 years. Always on my toes. Campgrounds and unpaved surfaces can be a bit hairy. Always have to plan ahead for footing. When I ride two up I have my wife get on the bike first. With the bike on the side stand she stands on the riders (drivers) foot peg, steps up and swings her leg over the seat and mounts the bike in the rider position (while I hold the left handle bar). She slides back to the pillion position. Once she is on the bike, the suspension is "squashed" a bit more and then I slide my leg in front of her and mount the bike and have better footing.

On my tip toes, if I get on first, I can't hold the bike comfortably for her to mount in the traditional way by stepping up on the left passenger peg.

Ladies first.........it's the way it is.

Bill Hamilton