I left my heart in Big Sur.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
After a long and involuntary break from riding, I spent the weekend on a motorcycle trip, the first long-range (relatively speaking) test of the FJR post repair. It was a very enjoyable trip, but it was the same weekend that I discovered the news about my friend John Ryan. Dedicating this ride report in his memory. I have no pretense that he would, but he might have enjoyed reading this. I miss you John, as we have all come to say, I hope you are Riding in Paradise!

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2013/10/i-left-my-heart-in-big-sur.html

P1090518Custom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful coastal shots. I'm sure Mr. Ryan loved it looking down. Very nice dedicated ride and report.

Thanks for sharing :)

Sam, I enjoyed your photos as always. I just got back from a car trip down the coast last week. Unfortunately, I need to replace my camera after it was grabbed sometime during our most recent move. Our trip featured fog just up to the road level, leaving us driving in mostly sunny conditions, but completely hiding the water and softening the coast. Traveling by car, meant I enjoyed the company of my bride of 34 years and we were treated to the Scarecrows of Cambria. Several hundred scarecrows including Marilyn and the complete cast of the Wizard of Oz.

1378669_10201713724277628_1675734225_n.jpg

Thanks again for your TR and sorry for your loss.

What wonderful pictures Puppychow!!I believe that John,he liked these photos when he looks down..!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!And sorry for your loss..

Last edited by a moderator:
outstanding photos; easy to leave your heart there on big sur. what a great trip u had! headed there next month for the big sur half marathon (flying into sfo and renting car, however). it's all good.

Sam,

That RR is just what the doctor ordered.

I love Morro Bay. Thanks for showing the beauty in the places you visited.

What a gift!

Beautiful coastal shots. I'm sure Mr. Ryan loved it looking down. Very nice dedicated ride and report.
Thanks for sharing
smile.png
Thank you and I hope so! Very different type of riding than what he excelled in, but I admired him and he was a source of inspiration, so yes I hope so!

Sam, I enjoyed your photos as always. I just got back from a car trip down the coast last week. Unfortunately, I need to replace my camera after it was grabbed sometime during our most recent move. Our trip featured fog just up to the road level, leaving us driving in mostly sunny conditions, but completely hiding the water and softening the coast. Traveling by car, meant I enjoyed the company of my bride of 34 years and we were treated to the Scarecrows of Cambria. Several hundred scarecrows including Marilyn and the complete cast of the Wizard of Oz.

Thanks again for your TR and sorry for your loss.
Thanks Tom. Sorry to hear about your misplaced camera, hopefully just misplaced and packed away in some unopened box waiting to be found. I will have to check out the scare crows of Cambria the next time I am down there. I hadn't heard of them before. There are always news secrets to be explored along that coast, so thanks!

What wonderful pictures Puppychow!!I believe that John,he liked these photos when he looks down..!!Thanks for sharing with us!!And sorry for your loss..
Thanks Mihail! :)

Nice pics Sam but even better to see you back on the bike. Care to share what was the FJR illness?
Perhaps you can join us next weekend in Bakersfield for this https://www.discoverkerncounty200.com/

I know you know some of the folks attending.
The FJR illness was a shut off issue, I had posted on the forum seeking help a few months ago now, thought it was the TPS, but it was not. Something with the idling mechanism, which I paid to be looked into. It seems to be fixed now and I hope it stays fixed. It also seemed to be co-related to hot days, no hot days to be found at this time of the year, so my fingers are crossed this doesn't rear it's head again in the summer!

I know a lot of those people on that rider list, some really amazing folks on that DKC list. If you are going, you will have an absolute blast! I would have loved to join the party, but I am riding to Fernley that weekend. A family gathering, so I need to be there! Have fun! I know you will! :)

Always good stuff Sam, thanks?
Thank you Mr Pie Man! :)

Thanks for the great RR Sam.
The pictures and prose of your writing was very enjoyable!
smile.png
Thank you, I am glad you found it enjoyable!

outstanding photos; easy to leave your heart there on big sur. what a great trip u had! headed there next month for the big sur half marathon (flying into sfo and renting car, however). it's all good.
I can't think of a better or more scenic venue for a marathon. My ex g/f is running the Big Sur half also, she is an ex so I won't be there at the time, or would have loved to meet up! Good luck, run like the wind and be safe!

Sam,That RR is just what the doctor ordered.

I love Morro Bay. Thanks for showing the beauty in the places you visited.

What a gift!
Thanks Mark! I agree, Morro Bay is great! I have some great memories visiting there. Glad to hear you had similar memories and experiences there! :)

great pictures Sam!
Thanks Bud! I was thinking of all my FJR buddies whilst having lunch at the Big Sur River Inn. Thinking of and missing my buddies, I think I might look into re-organizing the Big Sur RTE, but this time in Fall (after school starts back up again) instead of early Spring. I believe, we might have a better chance with the weather gods in Fall, than in early Spring. So we could enjoy the river outside! :)

Try Miss Kitty's next time for breakfast!
Do you mean Kitty's kitchen in Morro Bay? I will give that place a try next time. Remind me to tag our very own Miss Kitty on FB, when I am there! :)

Do remind me again why I like you Sam....
unsure.png

Fuker!
Love you too Barry!
finger.gif
tease.gif

Thanks for taking us along Sam. Always a great story!
--G
Thanks George! :)

Great pictures and RR Sam!
Beautiful pictures. Well written. Thank you.
Thanks guys! :D