What do you say or do to ride a Rally/Meet stag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
Many of you bring your pillions.. fine and dandy! For some of us, it's easier (and way less hassle) to simply come stag.

So on an upcoming '14 planned Ride/Meet (SouthEast Ohio Ramble) I did the old twisted truth method. "honey, it's almost 500mi. to get there, we will have to leave at 5am and limit our breaks!" her- "see ya, have fun with your boyfriend!"

So if you're a Shifty-Stag going kinda guy... what's your skinny be it told?

...for u haters, I do take Debbie... once in awhile
wink.png

DSC00643_zps65926592.jpg

What a truly amazing coincidence KJ, I have to be in Finger Lakes, New York that same exact weekend on "business"!

I may be 65 years old Brother, but I'm not dead yet ese! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

DSC00643_zps65926592.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife doesn't ride. Never could get her to. I either go or not. I try to keep the family considered when planning to go somewhere but it's more a function of being there for them and not away all the time. It was never a case where I felt like I needed to ask permission.

What a truly amazing coincidence KJ, I have to be in Finger Lakes, New York that same exact weekend on "business"!
I may be 65 years old Brother, but I'm not dead yet ese! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

DSC00643_zps65926592.jpg
Don, you got sum mighty deep pockets, I surely can't compete with you my friend :)

Wife doesn't ride. Never could get her to. I either go or not. I try to keep the family considered when planning to go somewhere but it's more a function of being there for them and not away all the time. It was never a case where I felt like I needed to ask permission.
You got it made. Freedom with no penalty to pay. I likey!

What Bounce said.

Wife was never comfortable on a bike, any bike. I tried, after awhile I just give up.

I was looking at the killboy/us129/moonshiner pics from our ride down the dragon. I lightly scraped the pegs with her on the back. She heard/felt it and asked what that noise was. I told her my footpegs. She's sitting back there, not holding on, hands not even clenched taking it all in.

Dammit, the girl loves to ride.

That being said, I don't think she's up for a multi-day slab ride to get somewhere interesting. I hope.

10052543646_a59276cd2e_c.jpg

Look at her hands in this pic. Just sitting there. She wanted to go faster!

My wife has a motorcycle endorsement and used to ride quite a bit, but she has lost interest over the years and never asks to join me on a multi-day ride. I simply tell her where I'm headed and when to expect me back. On the other hand, she has interests that I don't enjoy so she does her thing and I do mine.

My wife has a motorcycle endorsement and used to ride quite a bit, but she has lost interest over the years and never asks to join me on a multi-day ride. I simply tell her where I'm headed and when to expect me back. On the other hand, she has interests that I don't enjoy so she does her thing and I do mine.
Maybe it geezerdom, but we're the same way. My wife and her mom are headed for Ponca this morning for some sort of art gathering. She'd excited about it; it'd bore me to tears ;)

Maybe I'll ride through there tomorrow and torment them for a while
rolleyes.gif

I do two things:

For long, multi-day trips I plan "weather" rides; I am taking this ride weather you come along or not. This IS the itenerary. You are welcome to come, but NO bitching!

She really likes to brag to her girl friends about riding, so I tell her to maintain her "motorcycle cred" she has to accompany me on at least one overnight trip each season. To accomplish this I also plan a couple of shorter (200ish miles) rides that she and I take and stay overnight some place during the riding season.

My Debbie has her own ride, but she's limited in the number of miles she can handle. So sometimes she rides her own, sometimes we hop on the wing and sometimes she doesn't go. At no time do I feel obligated to make an excuse or ask for permission or feel bad about leaving her and the boy behind.
tonguesmiley.gif

Greg- Did she ever wash her bike or did 'you' wash-off on her?
rolleyes.gif
And individual interests are a good thing right?!

My Debbie has her own ride, but she's limited in the number of miles she can handle. So sometimes she rides her own, sometimes we hop on the wing and sometimes she doesn't go. At no time do I feel obligated to make an excuse or ask for permission or feel bad about leaving her and the boy behind.
tonguesmiley.gif
I never "feel obligated" or even make an excuse, just punctuate or put the situation in a perspective that might just be in my advantage.

In reversal (I guess if I really wanted her to go) I could of said "honey, 1 day down and we will take it easy, it's under 500 miles easily (494!), jacuzzi and a bottle of wine will be waiting for us at the hotel.

All could be true, the stretch would be the "under 500 easily" part. But if you take it easy on the way down, then it is really "under 500 easily".

Jus playing and love the twist on words... she does it back to me, we have funn!

My wife has never really had any interest in going, but has always let me go whenever I want, wherever I want. She never felt very secure on the back, and I know I personally would not want to ride pillion very far. Then I got a great deal on a top box and with that on she felt more comfortable. So I made a plan to take her over the Beartooth this summer. To get there from my side it's a ride all the way across Yellowstone. So about $500 worth of gear for her later (new girly helmet, jacket, pants--fashion is the priority, you know...) and off we went. Up over Beartooth, spent the night in Red Lodge, then back the next day. Turned out to be a great ride. Then this September, we went through the park again and over to Cody, stayed 2 nights, then back. Now we'll probably plan 2 trips or so per summer, but she has no interest whatsoever in the 450-750 mile days I like to do solo, and I don't blame her a bit for that....

Cooke City, MT--ready to head over the Beartooth:

CookeCityMT_zpsfc41b818.jpg

Beartooth Summit on a nice balmy July day:

Summit2_zps594d45b5.jpg

rolleyes.gif
Now that you mention it, I don't remember her ever washing her own bike.
no.gif

rolleyes.gif
Now that you mention it, I don't remember her ever washing her own bike.
no.gif
lol, You 2 are definitely a perfect match then!

... So about $500 worth of gear for her later (new girly helmet, jacket, pants--fashion is the priority, you know...) and off we went.
Sounds SO familiar! And that fashion stuff?... if our women ever met they'd probably end up being best friends :)