Oil Drain Bolt Gasket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to see if anyone has a source other than the stealer for the metal gasket (or as others have called it, the crush washer.) Yamha's Part no. is 214-11198-01-00.

I have no Yamaha dealer with-in 20 mi of me thanks to the destruction of our economy since 2008. On a side note, a sales guy that is still in the business said that in 2008, 28 dealers in Illnois shut the doors!

I know of partzilla, just looking for another option to avoid paying 5-6 bucks shipping on a dollar item. Probably will get 4-5 of 'em.

My advice don't change it! After 10 years and 240,000 kilometers my bike has not had a new one and has not leaked. Save your money!

My advice...... don't use a torque wrench on the drain bolt either. But use a little bit of blue loctite on the threads.

Found a pack of 3 at Pep Boyz hanging on the wall by the oil filters. If memory serves they are 14mm and $3.99 for three.. Also magnetic oil drain bolt at A
dvance for $3.99.. also 14mm obviously.

I used a copper washer for the first time last oil change (no issues / works great) ... I usually stock up on the crush washers from the dealer and have always used them, but they never seem to keep them in stock,. Copper washers are available from any auto parts store, and work fine. I believe the size we use is listed in several places, but if you can't find it, I can check it out for you.

Per the Service Manual (change, if damaged); no need to change regularly. If yours is damaged, seek solutions, already offered (above).

My advice don't change it! After 10 years and 240,000 kilometers my bike has not had a new one and has not leaked. Save your money!
My advice...... don't use a torque wrench on the drain bolt either. But use a little bit of blue loctite on the threads.
+1 minus the loctitie. Ive never replaced this "gasket" on any of my vehicles and with close to a half a million miles total I've never had a leak.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Huron - Holy cow! 240K k's - whatever your doing keep doing it, because it must be right!

If I am out around Alex's (reply on other board) I'll get a few from him....just in case it is damaged per C&C. Or maybe stop in at an auto store for a copper one too.

But good to know I can go without replacing it, if I don't overtighten.

I did have an issue with an old Honda one time, giving me a constant little drip.

Thanks for all the help.

I use plane ol' copper crush ones from Advance Auto. Nothing special. As you mention, every once in a while I get a weeper that a crush washer just won't stop. Then I switch over to a thin metal washer with an o-ring in the center. Works wonders. Think I got the last ones at O'reilly's Auto Parts.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/oil_drain_bolt_washer/158741/58611

The Honda 14 mm ID aluminum washers are available at Cyclemax Ohio for $0.35 each plus USPS mailing. Same ones at your Honda dealer for the Accord, 4 or 6 cyl. Honda part no. is 94109-14000, but at the bike shop you'll likely pay more. No need to buy in great quantity, as they are reusable.

The secret is don't torque more than 22-24 ft. lbs, and the washer may last you a lifetime. The more torque you apply after that, the more the washer deforms. Eventually, overtorquing will cause the washer OD to start wrapping around the drain bolt, then time to replace. You shoulda seen the original one on my '83 Magna after 60k miles..... took a bit of doing to pry it off, but it never leaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use plane ol' copper crush ones from Advance Auto. Nothing special. As you mention, every once in a while I get a weeper that a crush washer just won't stop. Then I switch over to a thin metal washer with an o-ring in the center. Works wonders. Think I got the last ones at O'reilly's Auto Parts.

I believe you are referring to a Dowty washer/seal. Normally the washer is mild steel and the chevron sealing element is nitrile. Designed for use in high pressure hydraulic systems. When used on an oil sump plug they should last indefinitely. These are available in the UK for <50p.

14mm-dowty-washer-513-m14-1876-p.jpg