When it all "Falls" just right.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I just returned from the best bike trip of my life.

This is a comment not taken lightly since I’ve ridden almost 75,000 miles over the last 4 years, including at least 15 multi-day, multi-state tours. All of those trips have their place in my memory, but this one seemed to have a real special combination:

Wonderful Riding – I rode all over Eastern Kentucky, Southwestern Virginia, the Tennessee/North Carolina border, North Georgia, and even played around Northeastern Alabama as a jump off/on point from the dreaded slab to and from the mountains. At nearly 3300 total miles, I can’t remember taking a bad road (slab excluded of course). The riding in Eastern Kentucky is smooth, predictable, and surprisingly scenic. The riding in Southwestern Virginia is stupendous – every road is clean, technical, and immaculately maintained. The riding along the TN/NC border is simply beautiful – you cannot pick a bad road there. Close your eyes, point on the map, and go there. Really, planning a ride in the Application Range near the Cumberland Gap is that simple.

Fantastic Weather – On the 2nd to last day, we got about 6 hours of just enough rain to keep the pavement wet. I have plenty of good riding gear, so not a drop touched my skin. Otherwise, we were treated to Sunny to Mostly Cloudy skies with lows ranging from 50-55, and highs varying from about 72-78. Winds were not an issue and for the Southeastern part of our country at this time of year, that was a blessing beyond words.

Great Company – The planning of a trip like this takes a life of its own. It never fails – around 10 weeks out, everyone is most definitely in. Then beginning at around T-minus 3 weeks, the real world gets a hold of people, and I never know what I’m going to end up with. For this trip, my good friend Jonjonboo and I left Louisiana together. On night 3, we picked up Threadkiller, who met us near the Cumberland Gap coming from the Nashville area. Treadkiller left us on Day 5, and on the morning of Day 6, Jonjonboo headed home and I free-styled by myself on what I can only describe as a “Pashnit” day (look it up). That same day, my good friend MikeP1300 and his friend Gordon were waiting for me in Hot Springs, NC. We camped there together 2 nights and on Day 8, Gordon split off on his own. MikeP1300 and I stayed together until we got home on Day 10. What this means is that I had the benefit of both company and solitude on this trip. I hope that makes sense.

No Troubles – No one had some much as a nail in a tire. No dead batteries. No “close calls” or heaven forbid, worse. My bike got the fuel mileage I expected, and ran like the well oiled machine that it is. Everyone else had similar results. The accommodations were varied – with the government shutdown, our camping choices were limited to State Parks or privately-owned campgrounds. Not my preferred method, but we made the best of it.

Exceptional Scenery – I’m 48 years old and I now realize that before this trip, I’ve never seen the rainbow of color that occurs in every hardwood forest during autumn. Along the Louisiana coast, we have “Green” 10.75 months a year, followed by a short period of “Brown”. I’ve seen the occasional “splash” of color, but what I experience last week was spiritual. I found myself starring at the trees thinking that regardless of one’s beliefs, something this beautiful has to be the result of a “miracle”. The pictures will not do this justice.

…and most importantly….

Lots Of Time. It was 10 days and 9 nights of absolutely no rush and no worries. I checked in with the office from time to time, and quickly learned that somehow the “real world Gods” agreed that I needed some time away. Despite the odds against me, nothing pressing from work ever surfaced, except an occasional email or phone call. On the homefront, the wifey and kids reinforced that theory, handling whatever was needed at the house without complain. I knew that this was going to be special.

And it was special.

The word “Fall” has several meanings. One can free “fall” in a sense of weightlessness and experience the exhilaration of something fun, like motorcycling. “Fall” is often used as a synonym for this season, a symbol of when the leaves “Fall” from the trees in a dry shower of beauty and wonder. And when the world is right, the bike is right, the weather is right, and you are with people you care about, well then …..

It all “Falls” just right.

Day 1 – Lafayette, LA to Cheaha State Park, Alabama. Approximately 575 miles.

With my bike packed, I loaded the pre-planned route for the day.

cgtripdayone3_zps89963a06.jpg

cgtripdayone4_zpsa1eb4b8c.jpg

John and I agreed to meet in Natchez, MS around 9:00 am. With plenty of time, I rolled out the driveway in the dark about 6:30 am. As the sun rises, it promises a good day ahead.

cgtripdayone5_zps081f3b00.jpg

I arrived at the meeting place on time to learn these people and I have 2 different definitions of “clean restrooms”.

cgtripdayone6_zps6e505bdb.jpg

John called to say he was running late. That was followed by another call to say his GPS was not leading him correctly to our meeting spot. So I pulled my bike up against the highway – he can’t miss this.

cgtripdayone7_zps04e62b93.jpg

And he didn’t – soon we were gassing up for another stint. John’s ST1300 looks loaded for adventure.

cgtripdayone8_zpsafc66da1.jpg

We decided to ride some 2-lane highways to around Meridian, MS before hitting the slab. At one particular road change, I caught a wiff of something good.

cgtripdayone9_zps1db6c439.jpg

Damm fine lunch place.

cgtripdayone_zps505c97c8.jpg

cgtripdayone2_zps40d0eb78.jpg

Now back on the slab, we are eating big chunks of real estate – fast. I hold my throttle at 85-ish and day dream about things to come. Not much to photograph, but even under the helmet, you can see that John is just as excited as I am.

cgtripdayone10_zps26d7cb9c.jpg

Early in the evening, we arrive at our first night’s stop.

cgtripdayone11_zps0dca8619.jpg

We asked for primitive, and our assigned site was too rocky. So we moved over a few sites, and made the best of it. We worked hard to gather some firewood but soon, it’s Happy Hour and John is opening a bottle of his homemade Muscadine Wine.

cgtripdayone12_zps14cccde6.jpg

I fixed myself a nice cocktail and got dinner started.

cgtripdayone13_zps62299f31.jpg

Soon, we are feasting on the fruits of our labor.

cgtripdayone14_zps622c916a.jpg

After dinner, I lit my pipe and we sat by the fire. A gentlemen from the Atlanta area camping near us walked over and we had fine conversation before turning in around 10:30. A good start to a great trip.

Day 2, Cheaha State Park, Alabama to Kingdom Come State Park, Kentucky, Approximately 450 miles.

We had a pretty rough night. I didn’t realize that we were sleeping on the side of a hill.

cgdaytwo1_zpsaaccc586.jpg

John’s not exaggerating much – take a look at my “level with the ground” shot!

cgdaytwo2_zpsbc960533.jpg

But we slept anyway and in the morning, the first order of business is the making of Go-Go juice.

cgdaytwo3_zpsf5deb09c.jpg

For breakfast, Pants will have a bagel and canned fruit….

cgdaytwo4_zps25b0fb6b.jpg

….while John prefers something a tad sweeter.

cgdaytwo5_zpse8855238.jpg

I think we’ll take our time getting under way this morning.

cgdaytwo6_zps7db1ddc0.jpg

After breakfast, we pack camp and enjoy the Talladega Scenic Byway on our way north. Beautiful skies as we look toward the next set of low Alabama mountains.

cgdaytwo7_zpse165fdf0.jpg

cgdaytwo8_zpsd131422e.jpg

The road is starting to get twistier, too.

cgdaytwo9_zpsbf313eba.jpg

At a fuel stop, I noticed that I’m just short of a mileage milestone. My big girl is just getting broken in.

cgdaytwo10_zps8bdf5a1e.jpg

As we cross into Northwestern Georgia, the scenery is getting progressively better.

cgdaytwo11_zpsa113a417.jpg

Our back-road route puts us on the slab near Chattanooga, TN, where we stop for lunch.

cgdaytwo12_zps9669b95e.jpg

After lunch, we slab it around 175 miles through Knoxville, TN. Then we get off the big concrete for some more scenic views. Hang tight my friend; it’s fixing to get much better.

cgdaytwo14_zpsbd445678.jpg

True to my word, we cross into Kentucky near the Cumberland Gap. Simply gorgeous – the weather is perfect.

cgdaytwo13_zpsaf998f80.jpg

cgdaytwo15_zps7dc4c8ad.jpg

Looking very nice, my Honda brother!

cgdaytwo16_zps9ed143ca.jpg

We arrived in Cumberland, KY near our campground pretty late and kind of tired. Rather than cook, we opted to pick up a subway and bring it to the park for later.

cgdaytwo17_zpse060e395.jpg

By the time we arrived at the campground, the office was closed.

cgdaytwo18_zps08077ed5.jpg

Nice views at this place.

cgdaytwo20_zps21cffb2c.jpg

You can start to see a splash of color in spots.

cgdaytwo19_zps5221d6ac.jpg

We finally decided to set camp for the night and settle up in the morning. There are only 4 camp sites in this park. We did have running water and a restroom, but no bath house so it was a G.I. shower for Pants….

cgdaytwo21_zps17c13dd8.jpg

….followed by an adult beverage and a sandwich.

cgdaytwo22_zpsa11349c1.jpg

I’m in the grove now – let the good times roll.

Day 3, Kingdom Come State Park, Kentucky to Breaks Interstate Park, Virginia, approximately 225 miles.

Much better night, but I think my air mattress has a small leak in it. I had to put a few breathes of air in it during the night. No worries, we wake up refreshed and ready for the day’s ride. This morning we will have toasted bagels with our coffee.

cgdaythree1_zpsda093a28.jpg

After we pack the bikes, we ride up to the highest point in the park…

cgdaythree2_zpsd6a2173e.jpg

…and take in the view.

cgdaythree3_zpsb3b149d5.jpg

cgdaythree4_zps3d3efbd8.jpg

Everyone knows that a good running FJR flies…

cgdaythree5_zps58281e2c.jpg

We ride back down to the campground office to find that it’s still closed. Just a few trees with leaves changing over here.

cgdaythree6_zps31ad80d8.jpg

cgdaythree7_zpsaf5f89c0.jpg

The Park maintenance guy wouldn’t take our money, so we got a free night’s camping out of the deal – cool! We get on Hwy 160 heading toward Black Mountain – the highest point in Kentucky.

cgdaythree8_zps273aed73.jpg

It’s a very twisty road that is a hoot to ride.

cgdaythree9_zps1911cc62.jpg

At the peak, we cross into Virginia….

cgdaythree10_zpsb32edc53.jpg

…and stop to look around.

cgdaythree11_zps52230b8a.jpg

We are starting to see more color now.

cgdaythree12_zps3f75b543.jpg

At Big Stone Gap, Virginia, we take Hwy 23 and then Hwy 58 to our next stop.

cgdaythree13_zps0baac801.jpg

This tunnel is used by the railroad. However, this engine has been retired for some time.

cgdaythree14_zps3d54daf8.jpg

We walk down a trail to the tunnel.

cgdaythree16_zpscaf013ee.jpg

Unfortunately, the chair lift only runs on weekends. No big deal – I could use the walk anyway.

cgdaythree15_zps6be12680.jpg

On the way down, I almost stepped on this critter, soaking in the sun.

cgdaythree17_zps85935bb6.jpg

As we wind our way down the gorge, the views are getting better.

cgdaythree18_zps5df3e18d.jpg

Along the way, we read about a little folklore.

cgdaythree19_zps51690144.jpg

We are not in the Louisiana swamp anymore!

cgdaythree20_zpsf271f86b.jpg

cgdaythree21_zpse568c5e1.jpg

I read this sign enthusiastically….

cgdaythree22_zps675137d1.jpg

….but it didn’t help much.

cgdaythree23_zpsd800f3ed.jpg

We reached the tunnel and wandered around a little – nice time.

cgdaythree24_zpse69b718f.jpg

After that hike, we were ready for some lunch. I found this quaint place on the road.

cgdaythree25_zpsba5ffbd4.jpg

cgdaythree26_zpsb8f186b4.jpg

John chose today’s special – fried fish and hush puppies.

cgdaythree27_zps0f7d25cf.jpg

For Pants, a simple BLT will do nicely.

cgdaythree28_zps5321d579.jpg

What the heck – we are on vacation.

cgdaythree29_zpsaa9a8edb.jpg

After lunch, we start wandering generally northeast through some fantastic roads. Traffic is non-existent and we are really enjoying the scenery of farm lands in the valleys between the mountains.

cgdaythree30_zps0072746d.jpg

cgdaythree31_zps27644453.jpg

We ride the Trail of the Lonesome Pine a while, then turn north on Hwy 460 near Claypool Hill, VA. What a great road!! Four-lane but very twisty, we are leaning our big bikes way over as we weave through the slower traffic. I really enjoyed that road, which parallels the Levisa Fork of the Cumberland River.

cgdaythree32_zps6a419ab4.jpg

Later in the afternoon, we arrive at our destination for the night.

cgdaythree33_zps37946202.jpg

As we pull into the State Park, Threadkiller pulls in right beside us. We couldn’t have timed it any better. Most of the campground is very crowded, so we picked a couple of primitive sites. While T/K and I rode to the grocery, John stayed at camp and gathered firewood.

cgdaythree34_zps90dfb3ed.jpg

Tonight – we will have cheeseburgers.

cgdaythree35_zpsb9f4bf6b.jpg

Pants knows what he is doing when it comes to campfire cooking.

cgdaythree36_zpsd99edccc.jpg

After dinner, more of the usual. A few snorts of my Tequillia, some campfire stories, then it’s off to bed. Life is good.

Day 4, Breaks Interstate Park, Virginia to Buckhorn State Park, Kentucky. Approximately 200 miles.

Last night was extremely quiet. Most of the birds must have flown south by now. Uncharacteristically, I slept past 7 am when a few crows on the lake began their ruckus. While we slept, my saddlebag/cooler has kept our groceries nice and frigid.

cgdayfour2_zps0737a1f7.jpg

I decide to whip us up a proper camp breakfast. John is in charge of the black nectar of the Gods.

cgdayfour1_zps3db201d8.jpg

My friend Loki taught me how to do this. Its so easy, it ought to be illegal. Step 1 – brown the sausage.

cgdayfour3_zps3e5a24c8.jpg

Step 2 – add the eggs.

cgdayfour4_zps3d3e08fe.jpg

Step 3 – add the cheese.

cgdayfour5_zpsb773abc5.jpg

Step 4 – well, you know….

cgdayfour6_zpsf1416606.jpg

After breakfast, we break camp yet again. This was a nice and quiet campground, we had the primitive area all to ourselves.

cgdayfour7_zpsdcb95a00.jpg

Unlike others – this must have been a mad house last night. Glad I missed it.

cgdayfour8_zpsa3711d22.jpg

It’s a little more work, but when you bring the house with you, one can stop wherever he/she wants. We take Hwy 80, then Hwy 197, then Hwy 7, then Hwy ????? (I forgot) generally Northwest riding through the Kentucky coal mine towns. Mid morning, we stop here.

cgdayfour9_zpsfefc4332.jpg

cgdayfour10_zpsb4365624.jpg

The fire department was washing the trucks this morning.

cgdayfour11_zps362e5520.jpg

I gave these ladies some money, and they did a cheer for me! I thought the kids were the cheerleaders!

cgdayfour13_zpse78a5769.jpg

Shortly thereafter, we briefly get on the Hall Rogers Parkway (Hwy 80). It’s beautiful – hang on guys, I’m coming!

cgdayfour14_zps916a7991.jpg

Then we take Hwy 15, followed by Hwy 28 northwest toward the Red River Gorge area. Here’s a nice survivor.

cgdayfour15_zps704bad57.jpg

To quote Mr. Phil (Duck Dynasty) – we are all “Happy Happy Happy”!

cgdayfour16_zps8eb2d95b.jpg

The farther north I go, the more color I’m seeing.

cgdayfour17_zps7029db9a.jpg

cgdayfour18_zpsfc15f6f1.jpg

cgdayfour19_zps30a984e1.jpg

I set my GPS on the town closest to the Red River Gorge, and then I take whatever road I want to. If it looks twisty, we take it and let the GPS figure it out. What a blast!

cgdayfour20_zps7c0ac60a.jpg

Counties in Kentucky are mixed dry and wet. On vacation, Pants enjoys a nice adult beverage in the evening, so when one sees a place like this, a stop is almost a given.

cgdayfour21_zps068bae9a.jpg

Threadkiller’s nighthawk is a very capable touring bike. Runs like a spotted ape, too.

cgdayfour22_zpsbe7066b6.jpg

Around lunch time, we found this place.

cgdayfour23_zps565a0e1d.jpg

We ordered lunch and then realized that there are no tables in this place. On a day like this, who needs to sit inside?

cgdayfour24_zpsfb09a252.jpg

While waiting for lunch, we spotted this nice looking scoot across the Street.

cgdayfour25_zps7cb82872.jpg

I never thought Kentucky hillbillies even knew what a Hogie was, but rest assured – they do. Excellent sandwich.

cgdayfour26_zps462d0696.jpg

The others had burgers and we are living like kings, friends.

cgdayfour27_zps7ac70dc5.jpg

We pick up Hwy 28 again (great road BTW) and stop at the Buckhorn Lake Dam.

cgdayfour28_zpse85b8b94.jpg

What a day. If you don’t like this, just go home, sell the bike, and take up fantasy football or something.

cgdayfour29_zps39664fe1.jpg

Some town with a name I forgot.

cgdayfour30_zpsb11112a8.jpg

As we get to the Natural Bridge State Park, it becomes apparent that the entire State of Kentucky decided to visit there. The traffic was heavy and from the road the campgrounds all look full to the brim. So we pulled into this place to re-group.

cgdayfour31_zpsc9d9c7f0.jpg

Her nails are purdy!

cgdayfour32_zpscd447aaa.jpg

While checking the map, a local gentleman suggested a private camp ground off the highway that he thought had plenty of space. Uh…. I’m not camping here.

cgdayfour33_zps3d988c33.jpg

So we decided our best bet was to double back where we came from and checkout Buckhorn State Park.

cgdayfour35_zpsd07a0c7f.jpg

We arrive fairly late to discover that this park has no campground. The dam has an ACOE campground nearby, but the government shutdown has that closed now. John suggests that we just get a couple of rooms in the resort. Great suggestion – I need a real shower anyway.

This place is swanky danky! Here’s our view from the room.

cgdayfour36_zps96d4e25b.jpg

As I take my shower, I hear a familiar song. Turns out someone is getting married on the lake side.

cgdayfour37_zps13346fae.jpg

We enjoyed their music while sipping on a couple of cold ones, enjoying the beautiful sunset.

cgdayfour38_zps9f7aca10.jpg

cgdayfour39_zpsbe5f35c8.jpg

Then we went into the lodge restaurant for some vittles.

cgdayfour40_zpsc4364c9b.jpg

Threadkiller ordered a Hot Brown. Not sure what’s in it, but it looks filling.

cgdayfour41_zpsfea7af82.jpg

John opted for the club sandwich, and Pants couldn’t resist the Virginia Ham dinner.

cgdayfour42_zpsa332adb8.jpg

cgdayfour43_zps058df69b.jpg

A nice slice of Derby Pie made good desert for all of us.

cgdayfour44_zps29386cfb.jpg

After dinner, we returned to the room to watch the ball game before turning in for the night.

cgdayfour45_zpsa4cf2224.jpg

We are living our dreams.

Day 5, Buckhorn State Park, Kentucky to Cumberland Falls State Park, Kentucky, approximately 225 miles.

I slept like a rock. I mean I woke up rearing and ready to go. I washed my socks and shorts in the sink. Today, they will get the “60 mph dryer”. There’s a little fog on the lake this morning, blanketing these fishermen.

cgdayfive1_zps9a6743b9.jpg

We eat the free continental breakfast at the lodge and hit the road. Threadkiller has to go home now, so we will follow him a little while before breaking off on our own.

cgdayfive2_zpsb40fdec2.jpg

cgdayfive3_zps7da3f583.jpg

cgdayfive5_zpsaf6d3949.jpg

Again – perfect weather. How lucky can we be?

cgdayfive4_zps649efe9b.jpg

We left Threadkiller on the Hal Rogers Parkway, wishing him a safe ride home. John and I take Hwy 421 and turn south on Hwy 66 through the Daniel Boone National Forest.

cgdayfive6_zps347c7a32.jpg

At the lower elevations, not too many trees have turned color yet.

cgdayfive7_zpsf6a5c8db.jpg

But as you climb, the scenery changes a good bit.

cgdayfive8_zpsbd0fd49c.jpg

cgdayfive10_zps379219d7.jpg

cgdayfive11_zps122a6442.jpg

We pull into the town of Pineville, Kentucky – population “not much”. Still for a Sunday, things are hopping.

cgdayfive12_zps15df56a1.jpg

cgdayfive13_zps5dffa688.jpg

An old style movie theatre that is still open.

cgdayfive14_zps0f4066b3.jpg

We pick this place for lunch. We figure if “hillbilly hogies” are good, maybe “hillbilly Mexican” will be good too.

cgdayfive15_zps727d4bfb.jpg

We were right.

cgdayfive16_zps6f0d6529.jpg

After lunch, I checked on my clothes. Just about done.

cgdayfive17_zps87f82e84.jpg

We rode just a few miles to Pine Mountain State Park to check the camping situation.

cgdayfive18_zpsa96094c9.jpg

cgdayfive19_zps8d9ede8b.jpg

At the top of the mountain, we learn that this place also has no campground. I enjoyed checking out these British classics.

cgdayfive20_zpsd7baf980.jpg

cgdayfive21_zps54a41f60.jpg

On the way out, we stopped at this overlook to get another view of Pineville.

cgdayfive22_zps3639cd91.jpg

Still full from lunch, John and I decide to walk a trail.

cgdayfive23_zpsb4fd4c50.jpg

I wish my shorts were dry. My riding pants were pretty warm.

cgdayfive24_zps01bd3478.jpg

At the end of the trail, we were greeted by this.

cgdayfive25_zps5b464d9b.jpg

And more of this.

cgdayfive26_zpsff19e3fb.jpg

cgdayfive27_zps15ca1cab.jpg

And Heeeaaaaavvvvvveeeeeee!

cgdayfive28_zps436b8024.jpg

John’s turned into a regular mountain man.

cgdayfive29_zps4cd9920e.jpg

The walk back up to the bikes was a real leg burner, but we still enjoyed the stretch.

cgdayfive31_zpsa86a9553.jpg

Back on the road, we took hwy 25E to Corbin, Kentucky (Birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken), and then crossed I-75 onto Hwy 90 to our destination.

cgdayfive32_zpsa7525735.jpg

The campground was nearly full. About the only site left was right next to the store.

cgdayfive33_zps30f4f90b.jpg

But that does have its advantages.

cgdayfive34_zpsf33b8c9d.jpg

By now, we have this thing down to a science.

cgdayfive35_zps0f4ed402.jpg

There’s still plenty of day light left, so we ride down to the falls. From the parking lot, it’s a short walk down a beautiful path.

cgdayfive36_zpsc523612d.jpg

Plenty of flow year round here.

cgdayfive37_zpsf31948f5.jpg

Next, we rode back to Corbin for some “supplies”.

cgdayfive44_zps01381f3a.jpg

And while those were “chillin”, we ate dinner at the lodge.

cgdayfive40_zps9fbc72e9.jpg

Soup and salad - $7.00.

cgdayfive38_zpsc9ec1905.jpg

After dinner, we stepped out on the patio to look around. Nice place.

cgdayfive39_zpsa9fd8692.jpg

Another nice sunset – it’s almost like the leaves are turning right before our eyes.

cgdayfive41_zps8b0b9024.jpg

Back at the camp, I realized that we had no quarters for the laundry. So as I’m riding back to the lodge, something catches my eye.

cgdayfive42_zps4e381cc6.jpg

At this park, one can book a horseback trail ride. They keep the horses at the top of the hill during the day. At closing time, they just run wild down to their evening stables where presumably the day’s feed is waiting for them.

“Ok – you win. You can have the road now!”

cgdayfive43_zps5f5a49bb.jpg

No harm, no foul. Back at the camp, John and I meet this nice couple from Cincinnati and enjoy good conversation by our camp fire.

cgdayfive45_zps9d47f575.jpg

Can it get any better? You bet it can – just keep reading.

Day 6, Cumberland Falls State Park, Kentucky to Hot Springs, North Carolina, Approximately 350 miles.

I woke up typically refreshed although it’s clear that my air mattress is leaking as now I have to re-inflate it twice during the night. Still, I am not deterred and dismiss it as a simple nuisance. I pack my bike early and enjoy a little coffee and a bagel with John. Unfortunately, John has to start heading home today as his work week will start soon. I shake his hand thanking him for the company, and wishing him a safe ride home.

Meanwhile, I have been texting MikeP1300 to see where he’s at. Turns out that he left home on Friday and rode to Mobile, Alabama with his lady friend in tow. They spent the weekend at Gordon’s house there and on Sunday, Mike and Gordon rode up to somewhere in north Georgia. Mike and I decided that they would ride north, I would ride south, and hopefully we’d cross paths somewhere near the North Carolina/Tennessee border. We were aiming for Hot Springs.

As the crow flies, it’s far less than 200 miles. But who rides like the crow flies? Not me, so I start heading north toward the Lake Laurel area. The road is desolate, as evident by the forest rats all over the shoulder. Rest assured, I’m in no hurry.

cgdaysix1_zps4634f7f7.jpg

This is the Grove Campground area, a Forest Service site.

cgdaysix2_zps70723c00.jpg

Of course, this area is not immune from the world’s events.

cgdaysix3_zps2f8a4bba.jpg

The lake marina is real quiet this morning.

cgdaysix4_zps6c680831.jpg

I rode across the lake dam, which was surprisingly curvy.

cgdaysix5_zpsecf679b8.jpg

And then I started wandering along Hwy 1193 and Hwy 192 toward London, Kentucky. The ride is great and I am content.

cgdaysix6_zps91b595e2.jpg

Lots of horse farms in this country.

cgdaysix7_zps7bc8d520.jpg

I gas up in London, and get on the Hal Rogers Parkway (Hwy 80) heading East. There’s a mist in the air. The road is not wet, but it’s not picture taking weather anyway. In Hyden, I take Hwy 421 south as the fog burns off. This road is nice and scenic, but there’s a lot of truck traffic and because of it, bits of gravel get stirred onto the road at nearly every curve.

I found Hwy 119 at Harlan, Kentucky and stopped to walk around.

cgdaysix8_zps6e2468d9.jpg

My stomach is telling me “food time”, so I ride into Harlan and employ Mike’s method of a little game I call Restaurant Hide-n-Seek. “Go to the center of town and look for all of the cars. Eat there.”

It works.

cgdaysix9_zps943dc215.jpg

cgdaysix10_zps343954a3.jpg

I’ll have Portal #1 – I’ve got plenty more riding to do today.

cgdaysix11_zps92390e29.jpg

How about a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich with some homemade chips? Oh yeah baby, this is good stuff.

cgdaysix12_zps5707077d.jpg

I saw a sign on Hwy 119 that caught my eye, so after lunch, I rode 25 miles up Hwy 119 to the town of Cumberland, Kentucky looking for this.

cgdaysix16_zps6b7f63b3.jpg

Of course it’s Monday and that means the place is closed.

cgdaysix17_zpsd7e44b77.jpg

I still poke around the outside of the museum learning what I can. This think looks like fun.

cgdaysix18_zpsb87f6b8a.jpg

I head back to Harlan because I want to take Hwy 421 into Virginia. The ride south is just as beautiful as it was going north.

cgdaysix13_zps79d421d8.jpg

Looks like you can buy coal at this place if you want.

cgdaysix14_zpsb4c2b90a.jpg

Another spectacular riding day.

cgdaysix15_zpsb38022b5.jpg

Now heading South, I’m riding along the edge of the Cumberland Gap.

cgdaysix19_zps463ea069.jpg

And I soon cross into Virginia.

cgdaysix20_zps87dc58d8.jpg

At the State line, something catches my eye. $5,500.00 and you can take it home (no drive train, of course).

cgdaysix22_zpsc4cc7869.jpg

Anything with Daniel Boone is popular in these parts.

cgdaysix21_zps0c7258df.jpg

I continue south to Remington Gap, VA, then turn southwest on Hwy 58A toward Jonesville. All over Kentucky and Virginia, I see these color signs of different patterns and colors on Barns, Houses, or even on sign post. It turns out that this means that someone at this household is a quilter, and it is used to promote the craft.

cgdaysix23_zps1c87cb24.jpg

In Jonesville, I turn off Hwy 58A onto Hwy 647 and 748. I just did it on a whim – the GPS showed it as very twisty and I took a chance. What a wonderful decision that was. Essentially I am traveling through farmland on a freshly paved twisty road. The whole time I’ve got the Cumberland Gap as a backdrop to my canvas that is the world. It was a spiritual experience, and I found myself quite humbled and appreciative that I have the opportunity to do this.

This is my favorite picture of the entire trip.

cgdaysix24_zpsf6815aa2.jpg

I took some other great roads crossing into Tennessee. I stopped in Newport for gas and a few supplies. Then I pressed further South and as soon as I crossed the North Carolina border, the town of Hot Springs appeared. Good thing I was looking – it’s only about 1 block long. Fortunately, Mike and Gordon were standing in the street when they heard my bike approaching. Great timing! I pulled right up and we sat down for dinner.

cgdaysix25_zps9bea2e63.jpg

The patio on the restaurant offers a nice ambiance.

cgdaysix26_zps7d08de07.jpg

I ordered the Hot Wings thinking that as a Cajun, I should be able to handle ‘em. They were pretty darn hot, though. Mike and Gordon picked a blue cheese burger. We also enjoyed a couple of local draught beers.

cgdaysix27_zpsa505521b.jpg

After dinner, the campground is literally 200 yards away. I set up my tent in total darkness. We take a shower and light a small fire. At one point, I thought about heading home on day 7. There’s not a chance in hell that’s gonna happen now. I’m having way too much fun.

Day 7, Hot Springs, North Carolina – loop throughout the area, approximately 225 miles.

Last night was interesting. A train rail runs on the edge of our campground. During the night a train running at high speed ran through us. I was not ready for that and thought for a second that the world was coming to an end. I figured “Well, I’ll die a happy man!”

Thankfully, it didn’t end and in the morning, we are greeted to a wonderful sunrise over the French Broad River, which also borders our camp site.

cgdayseven1_zps495222a9.jpg

I’ve found a whole new level of Zen here, man.

cgdayseven2_zps0c3bdfaf.jpg

For the first time on my trip, I don’t have to pack the camp. We have a leisurely breakfast and coffee.

cgdayseven3_zpsd1d990c2.jpg

Mike and Gordon plot the day’s route. Looks like we are going everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

cgdayseven4_zpsf0664afc.jpg

Downloading the route to the GPS units.

cgdayseven5_zpsbb6aa200.jpg

I didn’t drink any of my beer last night, so I’ll dunk those babies in the river to chill while we ride.

cgdayseven6_zpsd70b2adf.jpg

From the campground headquarters, the view is tranquil.

cgdayseven7_zps9183aa01.jpg

One last check on the electronics before we head out.

cgdayseven8_zpsd6c5f2c6.jpg

Before I can make it to 3rd gear, the view becomes stunning.

cgdayseven9_zps8fd23107.jpg

This is Hwy 212 heading toward the TN border. This road is why motorcycles exist.

cgdayseven10_zps2e76d5fe.jpg

Gordon’s having a ball – who could blame him?

cgdayseven11_zps1fdcc3d1.jpg

cgdayseven12_zps640933e5.jpg

cgdayseven13_zps8a2bec27.jpg

We stop at the top of what we think is Lookout Mountain. This is my second favorite picture.

cgdayseven14_zps17570413.jpg

We took a vote – it was unanimous. We will NOT consider any alternate route.

cgdayseven15_zps02496d13.jpg

cgdayseven17_zps612b543e.jpg

Yee Haa!!!!!

cgdayseven16_zps3675f641.jpg

Near the top of a mountain, we spot a waterfall on the side of the road, so we stopped.

cgdayseven18_zps830d5f76.jpg

It was a little hike down to the water, but I’m really glad we walked it.

cgdayseven19_zps1b88ffb7.jpg

That mountain water is cold.

cgdayseven20_zps02647aa3.jpg

cgdayseven21_zpsd8403448.jpg

Great opportunity for Mike’s signature pose!

cgdayseven22_zps9db06f45.jpg

I’m planking!

cgdayseven23_zps00eba1fa.jpg

We have a snack and haul it back up to the road.

cgdayseven24_zps8a44e5b2.jpg

Then it was more roller coaster in the Pigsta National Forest. The color is absolutely gorgeous here.

cgdayseven25_zpsd4dc45fd.jpg

cgdayseven26_zps2d166bca.jpg

We roll into Burnsville, TN

cgdayseven28_zps4ae2b63d.jpg

…just in time for lunch!

cgdayseven29_zps12e493d9.jpg

Again – Mike’s method is foolproof. Center of town, plenty of cars.

cgdayseven30_zps852be8b9.jpg

cgdayseven31_zpsfe6d593c.jpg

After lunch, I walk around the town square.

cgdayseven32_zpse64e52f7.jpg

Apparently, General Burns was a hero in the War of 1812.

cgdayseven34_zps42843884.jpg

A tree in transition.

cgdayseven33_zps97dd3e08.jpg

I find Mike and Gordon talking to the owner of this.

cgdayseven35_zps273dfd3b.jpg

We gear up and hit the twisties along the French Broad River basin. Mike – your looking quite well, my friend.

cgdayseven36_zpsc5a5ac13.jpg

Gordon – it just doesn’t get any better than this.

cgdayseven37_zps0e017d44.jpg

Now riding though the countryside, the sunlight on the mountain color is wonderful.

cgdayseven38_zps454e2f3f.jpg

Mike is getting used to his “new to him” FJR (with a front tire cupped pretty bad).

cgdayseven39_zps79ea245d.jpg

Gordon likes his ’04 ST1300 as well.

cgdayseven40_zpsd6230dc8.jpg

Mid afternoon, we run into Bakerville, TN just in time for …

cgdayseven41_zps7d6be97e.jpg

…PIE!!!

cgdayseven42_zpsed89a304.jpg

Followed by…. Well, you know.

cgdayseven43_zps4358cc61.jpg

cgdayseven44_zpsedb1b5be.jpg

We head to Roan Mountain, North Carolina. The leaves here are in peak, and I’ve never seen anything like this before.

The 3 Amigos!!

cgdayseven45_zps32a40116.jpg

cgdayseven46_zps3221f284.jpg

cgdayseven47_zps0ca7cec1.jpg

cgdayseven48_zps710a9998.jpg

cgdayseven49_zpsa3b2fa0c.jpg

cgdayseven50_zps78f72833.jpg

cgdayseven51_zps10970e9e.jpg

That was something special. Now heading toward Hot Springs, I stopped to photograph this drying tobacco, which I’ve never seen before.

cgdayseven52_zps5b8d7b1f.jpg

cgdayseven53_zps91247480.jpg

They don’t give away the gasoline around here.

cgdayseven54_zpsd4c732f9.jpg

Back at the same Tavern as last night, Mike and I split a pizza.

cgdayseven55_zps07f237e9.jpg

Then we drank a couple next to our campfire reminiscing about the day’s wonderful adventure. That was a top 5 ride of my life that I will soon not forget.

Day 8, Hot Springs, North Carolina to Brevard, Tennessee, approximately 300 miles.

I wake up before sunrise still smiling from yesterday’s ride. It can’t get any better that that. It could be just as good, but not better. Yesterday was simply amazing.

Gordon’s had a rough night – something is going through him and running out the back end. He decides that he will ride alone and more directly toward our next destination. Very politely, he didn’t want to put a damper on our day by having to stop often for the restroom. We decided to shoot for Stecooah, North Carolina. Gordon was going to look at the Iron Horse Campground, I would call the Kickstand Lodge during the day, and we’ll figure it out later.

We break camp and enjoy our breakfast by the river. Then Mike and I start exploring again. Looks like today will pick up exactly where yesterday left.

cgdayeight1_zpsd1d020f3.jpg

cgdayeight2_zpsf38355da.jpg

There’s a little smoke on these mountains this morning.

cgdayeight3_zps6d2c0b82.jpg

The river is peaceful today.

cgdayeight5_zps5d58f826.jpg

You have to learn not to take the road signs so seriously.

cgdayeight4_zps19851333.jpg

Or the road side signs, for that matter.

cgdayeight6_zps127acfaf.jpg

Heading to Mount Mitchell, we find the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mike’s getting right to it!

cgdayeight7_zps01c09bf3.jpg

The clouds are low today – but the view is still pretty good.

cgdayeight8_zpsbf7baf64.jpg

cgdayeight9_zps707e3e9b.jpg

cgdayeight10_zps8ad28123.jpg

cgdayeight11_zps788ae927.jpg

cgdayeight12_zps184f4da5.jpg

We reach our Parkway destination and hike up to the peak…

cgdayeight13_zpsb1845d67.jpg

…just in time to see – nothing.

cgdayeight14_zps2d675e3a.jpg

Lots of leaf peepers on the road today. Toward the descent, I notice that the mix of green conifers among the hardwoods makes for even more color.

cgdayeight15_zps0face5ae.jpg

Kind of golden on this slope.

cgdayeight16_zps66cfc65a.jpg

I don’t remember where we had lunch, but I’m sure it was good cause I didn’t have a bad meal the entire trip. After lunch we head generally south to Brevard, Tennessee. Mike wanted to stop at this shop and look around – nice place.

cgdayeight18_zps0fc58adc.jpg

At this point, it’s late in the afternoon and we’re still around 100 miles from Steccoah. Mike calls Gordon and he’s setup at the Iron Horse, but not feeling much better. Mike has a friend that lives in Brevard, so he calls him to see if we can crash. We’re in luck – Mike’s friend is in town and up for some company in about an hour. To kill some time, we ride up Hwy 64 to the Looking Glass Falls.

cgdayeight19_zpsbe71ac2e.jpg

cgdayeight20_zpsdd614d94.jpg

cgdayeight21_zpsc31eb76e.jpg

Then we ride back to Brevard to meet Mike’s friend Zak at this place.

cgdayeight22_zps93b29908.jpg

Excellent eats and drinks.

cgdayeight23_zps33622b4f.jpg

After dinner, Zak leads us on his KLX250 up a mountain twisty road to his house. Tonight the horses will sleep inside.

cgdayeight24_zps24b2a6b5.jpg

Zak and his wife have been painting, and although he apologized for the mess, I could care less. That bed was more than welcome.

cgdayeight25_zps32078c38.jpg

Another wonderful day, but I’m sensing that it’s almost over.

Day 9, Brevard, Tennessee to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, approximately 300 miles.

Well, nothing last forever.

The anticipated cold front appeared overnight and when I woke up it was raining lightly. Zak took off for work while Mike and I drank coffee and plotted for the day. Even though the weather took a turn for the worse, and we are going to head in the direction of home, we still decide to make the best of it. We take Hwy 64 West to Cleveland, Tennessee. Then turn south on Hwy 411, then Georgia Hwy 76 into Alabama.

The decision was not as good as I expected. Between the fog, rain, and traffic, the twisties were not much fun. But we made the best of it, stopping in Franklin, North Carolina to eat at a favorite restaurant of mine (Café Rel), where I chose a Hot Pastami on Rye.

cgdaynine1_zps0f22ab55.jpg

Needless to say, the conditions were not right for pictures. By mid afternoon, we had ridden through the front into Northern Alabama. However, it’s getting late, so we take I-20/59 through Birmingham. At a gas stop, we notice that there is a camp ground within 2 miles of us.

cgdaynine2_zps4a614761.jpg

The office manager set us up with a camp site, but when we rode back toward our camp, we were astonished by the HUNDREDS of people camping with their rolling houses and generators and lights and surround sound and big screen tv’s. This ain’t gonna work – so we return to the office and get a refund. Now well after dark, I called “PUNT” and we ended up at this place just outside of Tuscaloosa.

cgdaynine3_zps771f955a.jpg

It was a clean quiet room at a reasonable price, and the clerk was nice enough to let us park our bikes next to the front window.

cgdaynine4_zps642c66a5.jpg

I called my wife and I miss her. It’s time to go home.

Day 10, Tuscaloosa, Alabama to Lafayette, LA, approximately 425 miles.

Good night’s sleep. Heck, the coffee isn’t that bad either. We eat our free continental breakfast and hit the slab before 7 am. We stopped only twice all the way home. Our second stop was for Mexican food in Walker, Louisiana. I noticed this vehicle in the parking lot – who pays $6,000.00 for this kind of ride? And how do you stop that rolling mass?

cgdayten_zpsca6e7090.jpg

That was the last picture I took. I rolled into my driveway at about 2:30 pm. I was tired, but since no one was home, I unpacked my camping gear and washed my bike and riding gear. Soon thereafter, my wife came home and the world returned to normal.

As I do this more often, I have come to realize a few things. For example, there is benefit to situational awareness, but if you over plan a motorcycle tour, you will miss the best part. That part is the anticipation of what’s around that next curve. What adventure waits for you next? Who will you meet? What will you see?

And perhaps most importantly - will it all fall just right?

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Epic RR! Awesome trip.

Hwy 212 & Hwy 19w are two of my favorites and they never have any traffic or hardly any bikes. I've been trying to keep this ride out of Hot Springs secret. lol. As well as up & over Roan Mtn. when the fall color is peak it's absolutely amazing up there.

Having a thick steak over a campfire & a cold beer after a long days ride in the mountains...there may not be a more satisfying feeling out there than this.

...what is Derby Pie?
smile.png
What my pillion asks me to make every Thanksgiving. It is on the idea of a pecan pie with CHOCOLATE added, and must have Kentucky bourbon too. Classically, it is made with walnuts but it rocks pecans too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got it with this statement.

"As I do this more often, I have come to realize a few things. For example, there is benefit to situational awareness, but if you over plan a motorcycle tour, you will miss the best part. That part is the anticipation of what’s around that next curve. What adventure waits for you next? Who will you meet? What will you see?"

I'll go back and re-read this again when time permits.

And if the body on that Fairlane is decent with the interior parts there it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 8, Hot Springs, North Carolina to Brevard, Tennessee, approximately 300 miles.
I wake up before sunrise still smiling from yesterday’s ride. It can’t get any better that that. It could be just as good, but not better. Yesterday was simply amazing.

Gordon’s had a rough night – something is going through him and running out the back end. He decides that he will ride alone and more directly toward our next destination. Very politely, he didn’t want to put a damper on our day by having to stop often for the restroom. We decided to shoot for Stecooah, North Carolina. Gordon was going to look at the Iron Horse Campground, I would call the Kickstand Lodge during the day, and we’ll figure it out later.

We break camp and enjoy our breakfast by the river. Then Mike and I start exploring again. Looks like today will pick up exactly where yesterday left.

cgdayeight1_zpsd1d020f3.jpg

cgdayeight2_zpsf38355da.jpg

There’s a little smoke on these mountains this morning.

cgdayeight3_zps6d2c0b82.jpg

The river is peaceful today.

cgdayeight5_zps5d58f826.jpg

You have to learn not to take the road signs so seriously.

cgdayeight4_zps19851333.jpg

Or the road side signs, for that matter.

cgdayeight6_zps127acfaf.jpg

Heading to Mount Mitchell, we find the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mike’s getting right to it!

cgdayeight7_zps01c09bf3.jpg

The clouds are low today – but the view is still pretty good.

cgdayeight8_zpsbf7baf64.jpg

cgdayeight9_zps707e3e9b.jpg

cgdayeight10_zps8ad28123.jpg

cgdayeight11_zps788ae927.jpg

cgdayeight12_zps184f4da5.jpg

We reach our Parkway destination and hike up to the peak…

cgdayeight13_zpsb1845d67.jpg

…just in time to see – nothing.

cgdayeight14_zps2d675e3a.jpg

Lots of leaf peepers on the road today. Toward the descent, I notice that the mix of green conifers among the hardwoods makes for even more color.

cgdayeight15_zps0face5ae.jpg

Kind of golden on this slope.

cgdayeight16_zps66cfc65a.jpg

I don’t remember where we had lunch, but I’m sure it was good cause I didn’t have a bad meal the entire trip. After lunch we head generally south to Brevard, Tennessee. Mike wanted to stop at this shop and look around – nice place.

cgdayeight18_zps0fc58adc.jpg

At this point, it’s late in the afternoon and we’re still around 100 miles from Steccoah. Mike calls Gordon and he’s setup at the Iron Horse, but not feeling much better. Mike has a friend that lives in Brevard, so he calls him to see if we can crash. We’re in luck – Mike’s friend is in town and up for some company in about an hour. To kill some time, we ride up Hwy 64 to the Looking Glass Falls.

cgdayeight19_zpsbe71ac2e.jpg

cgdayeight20_zpsdd614d94.jpg

cgdayeight21_zpsc31eb76e.jpg

Then we ride back to Brevard to meet Mike’s friend Zak at this place.

cgdayeight22_zps93b29908.jpg

Excellent eats and drinks.

cgdayeight23_zps33622b4f.jpg

After dinner, Zak leads us on his KLX250 up a mountain twisty road to his house. Tonight the horses will sleep inside.

cgdayeight24_zps24b2a6b5.jpg

Zak and his wife have been painting, and although he apologized for the mess, I could care less. That bed was more than welcome.

cgdayeight25_zps32078c38.jpg

Another wonderful day, but I’m sensing that it’s almost over.

Day 9, Brevard, Tennessee to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, approximately 300 miles.

Well, nothing last forever.

The anticipated cold front appeared overnight and when I woke up it was raining lightly. Zak took off for work while Mike and I drank coffee and plotted for the day. Even though the weather took a turn for the worse, and we are going to head in the direction of home, we still decide to make the best of it. We take Hwy 64 West to Cleveland, Tennessee. Then turn south on Hwy 411, then Georgia Hwy 76 into Alabama.

The decision was not as good as I expected. Between the fog, rain, and traffic, the twisties were not much fun. But we made the best of it, stopping in Franklin, North Carolina to eat at a favorite restaurant of mine (Café Rel), where I chose a Hot Pastami on Rye.

cgdaynine1_zps0f22ab55.jpg

Needless to say, the conditions were not right for pictures. By mid afternoon, we had ridden through the front into Northern Alabama. However, it’s getting late, so we take I-20/59 through Birmingham. At a gas stop, we notice that there is a camp ground within 2 miles of us.

cgdaynine2_zps4a614761.jpg

The office manager set us up with a camp site, but when we rode back toward our camp, we were astonished by the HUNDREDS of people camping with their rolling houses and generators and lights and surround sound and big screen tv’s. This ain’t gonna work – so we return to the office and get a refund. Now well after dark, I called “PUNT” and we ended up at this place just outside of Tuscaloosa.

cgdaynine3_zps771f955a.jpg

It was a clean quiet room at a reasonable price, and the clerk was nice enough to let us park our bikes next to the front window.

cgdaynine4_zps642c66a5.jpg

I called my wife and I miss her. It’s time to go home.

Day 10, Tuscaloosa, Alabama to Lafayette, LA, approximately 425 miles.

Good night’s sleep. Heck, the coffee isn’t that bad either. We eat our free continental breakfast and hit the slab before 7 am. We stopped only twice all the way home. Our second stop was for Mexican food in Walker, Louisiana. I noticed this vehicle in the parking lot – who pays $6,000.00 for this kind of ride? And how do you stop that rolling mass?

cgdayten_zpsca6e7090.jpg

That was the last picture I took. I rolled into my driveway at about 2:30 pm. I was tired, but since no one was home, I unpacked my camping gear and washed my bike and riding gear. Soon thereafter, my wife came home and the world returned to normal.

As I do this more often, I have come to realize a few things. For example, there is benefit to situational awareness, but if you over plan a motorcycle tour, you will miss the best part. That part is the anticipation of what’s around that next curve. What adventure waits for you next? Who will you meet? What will you see?

And perhaps most importantly - will it all fall just right?

Stay thirsty, my friends.
awesome RR, I live about 5 miles from Tannehill State park.......

Great pictures and RR. Now if we didn't have to a couple of saddle sores to get there from here to have time to explore...someday