GEN3 battery access made easier !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odexplorer

Reaction score
Starting with late 2013 model year production, the right side cowling inner panel was

changed to allow improved access to the electrical components beneath this

panel.... This is straight from Yamaha's Tech Exchange.

With this new right side cowling inner panel, you will no longer need to remove the

CENTER cowling inner panel. Those with the old style can replace it with this

new style... of course, you have to pay for it.

The Yamaha part number for this new panel is: 1MC-2836N-01-00

Anyone have one of these late 2013 model year production FJRs ?

If so, Is the access to the battery easier ?

The access to the 2013's battery and fuses is a total clusterfuck because it is so difficult to remove the center panel due to the interlocking plastic pieces and the tiny screws that are used on the headlight adjusting knobs. It is a great step backward from the GEN2 battery access.

Yamaha just issued a Service Bulletin announcing the new part and some vague instructions how to modify the existing panel to eliminate the need to remove the center panel. The modification involves removing 3 pieces in the front of the panel, unfortunately the instruction for removing Tab A is incorrect because it says to remove the bottom of the tab when you really need to remove the top of the tab. The panel removal and installation after modification is still cumbersome but its doable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was amazed at how difficult it was to access the battery on my '13!
not_i.gif

I am no super mechanic, but can access my battery in 10 minutes or less.

Once I see the Service Bulletin, I will be confident to remove the extra tab (phillips head screw tab) and no longer need to remore the front cowling.

really guys its not that hard....battery access in what 5 minutes...
R
My personal best is 6 minutes. In a warm, dry, illuminated garage. With a magnetic parts tray to assist. And I still managed to lose my headlight adjustment knob somewhere! (okay that last part is just me being an idiot). I suspect that in a dark, cold, wet parking lot or shoulder with traffic whizzing by it might be a different story. No it's not that hard, but it could be a lot easier.

Maybe with a few more months of dedicated training I can get down to Richard's 5-minute benchmark!
yes2.gif

really guys its not that hard....battery access in what 5 minutes...
R
My personal best is 6 minutes. In a warm, dry, illuminated garage. With a magnetic parts tray to assist. And I still managed to lose my headlight adjustment knob somewhere! (okay that last part is just me being an idiot). I suspect that in a dark, cold, wet parking lot or shoulder with traffic whizzing by it might be a different story. No it's not that hard, but it could be a lot easier.

Maybe with a few more months of dedicated training I can get down to Richard's 5-minute benchmark!
yes2.gif

Exactly! Definitely harder on the '13 and would hate to attempt it on the side of the road in the dark. Not to even mention cold, wind, rain ect......

I must have a late model 13, can access the battery in 30 seconds; remove one screw.

Photos please!

sorry i forgot to mention that the 5 minutes was blindfolded.....

Skooter will be here this weekend maybe we can actually time it after a few glasses of scotch..

R

sorry i forgot to mention that the 5 minutes was blindfolded.....Skooter will be here this weekend maybe we can actually time it after a few glasses of scotch..R
Take a video, I want to see how you can quickly get those center panel interlocking tabs apart without breaking them.

I bought the new right inner panel... 2 bolts, 2 snap rivets and a

little maneuvering... and the panel is removed... and there's the battery

and fuses ! Much better !

I bought the new right inner panel... 2 bolts and 2 snap rivets and alittle maneuvering the panel is removed... and there's the battery

and fuses ! Much better !
That's what I ended up with......and removing the panel is much easier than re-installing it, but thats OK if I ever need to get fast access to the battery and/or fuses.

Latest posts